Status: Finished

Just Friends

One And One Alone

Alexandra rushed up the avenue holding her books, her jacket and Tom’s gift in another bag, it was 3PM and she was running late to meet him for his birthday. She cursed under her breath for taking so long to have lunch and as she reached the train station, she spotted him driving his black jeep across the road, his eyes roaming everywhere. Once he saw her, he gestured for her to go to a side of the sidewalk so that he could quickly pick her up. She felt like laughing instantly at the panic striking his face at the thought of having to spot in the middle of the hectic traffic but everything went smoothly and within the blink of an eye she was sitting beside him.

A smile spread across his face once he saw his best friend sitting beside him. She looked the same and he liked that, she was one of those people whose familiarity comforted him. The car had been quiet until then and once she closed the door, her voice filled his ears and he loved that about her. He had missed her. She was in college and he had quit his course to try for a college in the US so they rarely saw each other now and that caused him more pain that he thought it would. He always took her presence for granted, ever since they met on the 8th grade around 7 years ago, and this year had been the first time that he really had the notion of what it was missing her. He did not like it.

“Happy birthday!”

Her loud cheering woke him from his thoughts as he thanked her while driving to one of their favorite places to hang out.

“I am not happy about it. I hate becoming older.” He groaned as she chuckled beside him.

“Come on Tom! You’re only 20.” She retorted as he smirked.

“That’s two decades. I am getting old and becoming an adult.”

If there was one thing they shared, it was the desire of not growing up. They joked about it, saying that they were the last lost boy and girl but Alexandra loved birthdays and age was just a number to her.

“That’s all psychological.” She grinned “You’re still young, 20 is nothing! It’s a sexy age.”

He laughed wholeheartedly and thanked her compliment. Soon enough he had parked but before he could exit he turned to see her staring intently at him.

“This is for you.” She smiled shyly handing in a bag with a ribbon.

“Awwww.” He said smiling widely as he opened it eagerly to find a cup inside with funny sentences about friendship “I love it!” He said as his bright blue eyes looked up to meet her hazel orbs and he saw the relief in her.

As much as they were good friends, Alexandra was always nervous about the possibility of him not liking the gifts she bought him. She knew Tom well, they were best-friends for a long time now and as the years passed they grew closer and closer but there were still things that they needed to improve.

She adored him to pieces and he adored her right back, everybody knew about it and joked that they’d end up together but nobody meant it. In general, people saw them as a couple who would be too perfect and therefore destroy itself. Alexandra didn’t listen to any comments of this sort but Tom did and he agreed, except on the part that they’d destroy themselves by being together. He had actually considered that they’d be good together but he had only thought about it once and the thought of being rejected scared him so he pushed it to the back of his mind. But it didn’t work. When he started to miss her, the idea came back to his mind and now that he was seeing her, the idea was back again. He was slowly realizing that he did not just adore her. He loved her.

“I’d like a cup of tea please and… a scone.” Tom blinked as he observed Alexandra being all warm and nice, as always, to people, even if she was a customer. He ordered the same and took their food towards a table in the corner, near the window so that Alexandra could stare out at the sea like he knew she loved while he sat in front of her.

They started talking about her college, she was currently involved with the Artistic group and she was preparing a few exciting projects so she had a busy schedule ahead of her. Tom heard her talk, observing her gestures, noticing every single little detail and he felt immensely proud of her for the love she was showing through her words. He watched attentively as she tied her hair up in a pony tail exposing her neck. He tried not to stare at her too awkwardly as they ended up discussing about their families and about his dinner party.

He couldn’t wait to bring US up, though. Alexandra was his biggest supporter but also the person he wished he could take along, he knew that she had a wish of going to the US as well but he hadn’t had the courage to ask her officially to join him.

Finally, his opportunity came along. He told her about his interviews, about his preparation for the auditions and the sparkle grew in her eyes. The person Alexandra admired most in her life was Tom because he had had the courage to pursue his dream and she was unbelievably proud of him just for taking an action. She remembered how he had always wanted to be an Actor and now his chance was just in front of him, all he needed was to be accepted.

He kept rambling about having to get a job if he got into the college and that he was nervous just for his audition and for the essays he had to send in earlier that month.

“Alex! Stop looking at me like that…” He said blushing slightly, looking away from her.

She giggled as she rested her elbows on the table and her chin on her closed fist. Her eyes were staring at him intently, she was sighing dreamily while smiling sweetly.

“Sorry.” She apologized chuckling “I am just so terribly proud of you.” She admitted as he looked at her and smiled a bit embarrassed.

“Nothing has happened yet, Alex.” He replied softly.

“But it will.” She said confidently.

She had the incredibly ability to always dismiss his concerns. She gave him confidence and she showed him look the brighter side of every situation, which was why he vented his problems to her often, she was able to see the bright side that he missed to see so often.

He smiled brightly at her and leaned forward “And will you join me?”

“Where?” She questioned tilting her head to the side.

“US, of course, silly.” He grinned knowing exactly how to push her strings “Are you coming with me?” He asked with a curious look. He always brought this part of the subject up because he wanted her to go.

“You know that I want to…” She replied looking away from his eyes, their power on her was overwhelming “But I want to finish my course here and then move there.”

Truth was that Alex didn’t know what she wanted. She’d go with Tom any day but he had goals and hers were beginning to fade. She didn’t know what she wanted for herself anymore but she knew what she wanted for Tom: success.

She saw him grown visibly upset. He wanted her to go, there’s nothing he wanted more aside from entering one of the colleges he was applying to. If she was there, things wouldn’t be perfect but very close to it. He’d have an amazing house partner to share chores with and do stupid things with, he would drive anywhere she needed to go because he didn’t mind and most of all, he’d have someone he loved there, someone whose presence filled his whole life every day.

“I only have one year left and then I’ll go. I promise.” Alex smiled, making a cross over her heart and he smiled happily.

“I’ll be waiting for you.” He said seriously looking into her eyes as her breathing hitchhiked due to the beauty and truth splashed all over his blue orbs. That look made her knees weaken and she tried not to blush so that her feelings weren’t given away so easily.

He immediately relieved the mood by bringing ‘Skyfall’ up. They discussed the movie, laughed, he made fun of her laughter and voice as always while she teased him for wishing to be Bond for once in his life. They ended up talking about cartoons and then about what would happen when he left. She admitted right away that she would cry a pool of tears and he laughed and the sight in front of him confirmed all this fears: He was in love with his best friend.

After about an hour, he offered to drive her home and they reached it in a matter of minutes. As she turned to say goodbye to him, his cellphone started ringing. He asked her to wait for a bit as he answered without seeing who it was.

“Hel- Sophia?” He asked furrowing his eyebrows.

Alex sighed deeply. Sophia was Tom’s ex-girlfriend but still present friend. Sophia was the only female capable of bringing jealousy and trusting issues on Alex, also she was the reason why Alex would never have the courage to tell Tom her feelings. Sophia’s relationship with Tom would never be anything like Alex’s friendship with him and, as much as she loved him and treasure him, she always felt like second best compared to Sophia.

Alex started gathering her things slowly as she opened the door and stepped out, waiting by the window for his call to be over. Tom saw her movements and hurried to end the call.

“Alex!” He called getting out of the car “I’ll walk you to your door.” He offered as she smiled softly and shook her head.

“You don’t need to, it’s right there.” She pointed.

He noticed that her tone had changed and he didn’t understand why but he felt horrible about it. He always did something wrong.

“B-“ He was about to retort when she stepped back and he knew that she was serious about him not walking her to her door. “I’ll see you Saturday?” He asked licking his lips nervously, sadness getting over him.

“Of course. I would never miss your dinner party.” She smiled widely and blew him a kiss before turning her back him.

He stared in shock. She had just blown him a kiss, she had never done anything like that before but he shouldn’t trick himself. Alex was a loving person, she hugged everyone, she was sweet with everyone, why would he be different? Why would he be special? He wasn’t. Not to her.

She would never know that he wanted her more than he had ever wanted anyone else. She would never know how much he cared for her, how deep his passion was, how she made his heart race in his chest. How much he loved her.

He would never know that she cried when she stepped into her house. He would never know that she wanted him back just as truthfully and intensely, that all she wanted was to run back and embrace him. He would never know that she loved him more than anything, that all she wanted was to be his and for him to be hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my dears!
I took a small break from studying and this flowed. I hope you all like it. Comments are highly appreciated!
Tom and Alexandra