‹ Prequel: Always Yours

Crash

Chapter 13

Julie was getting married in a week. Kennedy and I's anniversary was Friday and I was so excited.

It was Thursday and I just opened my apartment door to a Kennedy who looked weird to me. He came in, hugging me with one arm and ignoring my lips. I'm pretty sure I heard him huff when he sat on the couch. I uneasily closed the door and sat next to him on the couch.

"Are you okay?" I looked over at him.

"Don't want to talk about it," he sighed, obviously angry.

"Maybe I can help." I shrugged, trying to be easy with him.

I guess it didn't work, "No Markie, you can't." He looked at me when hard eyes.

"Alright, jeez. If you're that pissed off then you can just leave." I turned back to the tv.

He abruptly got up off the couch and I jumped when the door slammed behind him. I swallowed the lump that appeared in my throat and moved off the couch to grab my phone from my room. I sat on my bed as I dialed John's phone number. I wiped under my eyes at the tears that escaped and John picked up on the other side.

"Hello?"

"What the fuck is Kennedy's problem?" I spat. I was angry now. Angry that he wouldn't tell me anything and that he took it out on me.

"Uh, I have no idea. Why? What happened?" 

"We made plans today and he came over a few minutes ago but left because he was obviously mad about something and he didn't tell me so I told him to leave." I wiped under my eye again. I really shouldn't be crying right now.

"I don't know, Markie. How about you just let him breathe and just give him a day to calm down." He suggested.

"Okay," I sighed. "Thanks."

"Anytime, see you later."

I hung up and put my phone back on my nightstand and laid in my bed, hugging a pillow to my chest.

****

I must've fallen asleep yesterday because I woke up the next morning with my arms still around the pillow. 

After I got ready and checked the clock to make sure that Kennedy would be awake, I went down to my car and drove to his house. I was determined to break him.

I didn't bother to knock, to worked up to hit my knuckles on the wood. I walked straight into the kitchen and crossed my arms over my chest, staring at the back of his head until he turned around.

"What do you want Markie?" He turned back around toward the window.

My eyebrows raised and I leaned on my right leg. "Care to tell me why you were so pissed off yesterday?"

"Just leave me alone, Markie." He turned back around.

"No, Kennedy. I will not leave you alone. We've been telling each other everything since we were seven years old, why stop now? Why spend our anniversary like this, fighting?" My eyes glazed over and his stare was hard but it softened a little at my last sentence. "I've known you for almost eleven years now and I've been with you for seven months. I was never one for fighting and you know that because I never win.

"Why can't you just talk to me Kennedy?" He looked down at his hands. "If you're mad at me, tell me. If you're mad about something else, then don't take it out on me because I didn't do anything." I wiped under my eye as I stood straight, looking at him.

"It's just family problems." He spoke quietly. I stayed where I was and let him talk this time. He went into this whole story about his family and the issues that they were having right now. No, nobody was dying. "I just want to take a break from reality," he sighed.

I bit my lip and raised my arms when he met my eyes. "Come here."

He came out from behind the counter with his head hanging low and I wrapped my arms around his torso. "Everything will get better Kenny. You just have to keep your head up at all times."

He put his head on my shoulder and wrapped his arms loosely around my waist. "Next time just talk to me please," I sighed and he pulled his head out. I looked up at him with both of my hands on his face and he nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

I shook my head, "Don't be." I pulled his face to mine and kissed him softly. "Wanna lay down?"

He nodded and I took my sweatshirt off and my shoes then grabbed his hand, leading him into the living room. I laid down on the couch and he laid on top of me, laying his head below my neck. I held his hand and brushed through his hair as he tried to take a nap.

****

About two hours later, the room light up with an orange glow and Kennedy was still sleeping on top of me. I woke up about 30 minutes ago and I was wide awake when the door opened. I couldn't really see who it was but once they appeared behind the couch. They looked down at me.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked, looking up at John and Alexa.

"We wanted to see if you and Kennedy wanted to go out on a double date with us." John spoke. "But he's sleeping."

"He's been sleeping for about two hours. He should wake up soon." I looked down at the body on top of me. "You guys can sit down." I gestered to the other couch.

They moved out from behind the couch and sat down across from me.

"You guys made up?" John asked.

I nodded over to him.

"You guys are so cute," Alexa smiled beside John with his arm around her shoulders.

"Wish I could say the same about you two," Kennedy moved above me and he turned his head to face the back of the couch.

I giggled at Alexa's face, "I'm kidding, Alexa. You guys are good together. Just be careful of that one," I gestered to John with my hand still attached to Kennedy's.

"Ha ha." John stared at me.

I smiled brightly at him, "You know I love you."

He nodded and I looked away to Kennedy when he moved around again. He lifted his head up and I laughed at him, seeing imprints on his face. He let go of my hand and touched my cheek, moving forward to kiss me.

"Kennedy, we have company," I mumbled against him. He parted from me and looked around until he saw John and Alexa sitting on the other couch.

"What are you guys doing here?" He got up off me and moved my legs so he could sit under them.

"Do you guys wanna come on a double date with us?" Alexa asked this time.

Kennedy nodded, rubbing his hand on my thigh. "Where are we going?" 

"I was thinking diner downtown and bowling after." John said.

"Sounds good, let me go change upstairs." Kennedy looked at me, "I need to talk to you quick."

I moved my legs off him and followed behind him up the stairs. He closed the door after I stepped into his room and turned around to pick me up by my legs. I laughed and he sat down on his bed.

"What are you doing?" I smiled at him.

"I'm sorry."

I nodded, playing with his shirt on his shoulders. "Just forget about it, Kennedy. It was a stupid little fight. Just please talk to me next time. I don't like being shut out."

"I will." My hands moved down his arms and I moved forward to taste him.

"Come on, you need to get ready." I parted from him and got up to my feet. He sighed, but moved off the bed to get dressed.