Sequel: Can't Handle This
Status: Finally finished. Read this first, if you haven't already. ------------------>

Can't Catch a Shadow

Chapter 1

Ivan Romanoff took a long sip of his coffee as he scanned the newspaper in front of him. He chuckled as he saw one of the headlines, King of Spies Strikes Again.

Claudia, a twig of a French woman, tiptoed into the living room. “Monsieur Romanoff?” she asked, voice dripping with her native accent. “The children are playing in the mud out in the yard.”

“Da,” he said. “I will go see to it.”

She nodded and scurried out of the room.

****

“Tri, dva, odin! YA idu, Natasha!”

Hetalia, with a smile on her little face, looked around for her sister in the back yard, just in time for her father to walk out on the back porch.

“Hetalia!” Ivan shouted to his youngest daughter. “What are you doing?”

She looked up at her father, smile fading as she realized that her pretty white dress was covered in mud. “I am playing with Natasha!” she said in English. “She is hiding from me!”

Natasha poked her head out from her hiding place. “It is true,” she said as she looked at the maid behind him. “We are just playing a game, papa.”

Ivan laughed as he noticed how filthy Natasha’s dress was as well. “Continue on, moi dorogiye.”

Hetalia smiled up at her father brightly and ran after her big sister.

“ Bâtard,” Claudia mumbled in French. “I spent hours having those dresses cleaned, monsieur.”

Ivan shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. Natasha is leaving tomorrow night for Glendayle Institute.”

Claudia nodded somberly and walked out back inside the house.

****

“Why did Natasha go, papa?” Hetalia asked, tears still streaming down her face.

Ivan put a tentative hand on his daughter’s back as she curled up on his lap. “Moya doch,” he started softly. “She was taken to a school to perfect her skills.”

“She was good enough!” the six year old shouted angrily. “She’s a great spy!”

Ivan sighed and hugged her close. “I know, Hetalia. I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that the first chapter is extremely short, but I have big plans, so the rest will be much longer! I promise!! And to those coming from Can't Handle This, thanking for taking interest in the rest of the series! You guys mean a lot to me!