Rocking The House

Leaving the Burgh

I sat back in my chair. It had been months since I had any symptoms but I still wasn't allowed to skate. I was going crazy, and I was getting bored. I decided to take Mario and the Doctor's advice and go home for a while, to relax and let my brain heal. Brain injury sounded way worse than concussion, but two back to back concussions had caused me to be out indefinitely. I felt like my life was ending, all I had ever known was hockey and no matter how hard I concentrated on rehab and getting better, I was just miserable. I was tired of the media asking how I was doing and I was tired of the doctors telling me I couldn't do what I loved. "Fuck it." I said out loud. I pulled out my phone and texted Jack. He had surgery last week on his knee and would be gimped up for awhile. Maybe he wanted to come hang out at the cottage with me. I mean, Cole Harbour in February is definitely not as nice as it in the summer, but it was home and I was sure we could have some fun.

Sid: Hey douche bag, how's you gimped up knee? Up for a road trip?

Jack was always on his phone, Twittering or Facebooking, I knew it would only be a minute before he replied. Sure enough his familiar ring tone went off. Everyone had the same ring tone, except Jack because he loaded it on my phone himself when he came to see me after my second "brain injury" Another One Bites The Dust, how appropriate.

Jack: Bout as good as your gimped up head. Road trip? When? Where? You know I'm in

Sid: Back to the Harbour for a bit. Pack your bags, I'll be there tonight.

Jack: Sweet!

I got up from my chair and went up to my room to pack my bag. Guys road trip, I wouldn't need much. Few pairs of jeans, t-shirts, socks, underwear, sweats, and a hoodie. Perfect. I went to the washroom, grabbed my razor, toothbrush, deodorant, and some mouthwash. "Alrighty, I think that should be good." I said to myself. I went downstairs, grabbed a few bottles of water, my iPod, and my wallet. I picked my keys up off the rack and headed towards the garage.

I put Jack's address into the GPS, twelve hours of nothing but me and my broken brain. I pulled out onto the road and headed west. I stopped for gas and a coffee and decided I would only stop to piss and fill the Rover, and if I didn't get caught, I would be there in ten hours instead of twelve.

I turned on my mobile hands free and voice commanded it to dial Taylor. She would kill me if we didn't stop and see her. It would be a huge detour, but she was my baby sister and it was her freshman year at Shatuck's. Plus Jack and I could go and revisit our old stomping grounds, where we first met. I smiled at the memory of how everyone thought Jack and I were stellar students and rule abiding role models. If only they knew. With the help of a few people, we got away with everything. Yeah, that smoke bomb in the girls bathroom during Junior year....that wasn't really Mike Waldorf. I started to get excited when on the sixth ring Taylor finally picked up the phone.

"Brother! What's going on? What do you I owe the pleasure of your call? You hardly call me anymore." She sounded disappointed.

"Hey Tay, just thought I would let you know that Jack and I are going to be stopping in for a visit this weekend. Do you have plans? I'd like to treat my little sis to dinner."

"You better treat me, you're the gazillionaire, not me. I'll make sure to keep a slot open in my calendar for you." I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Alright, I'll call you when we're on our way. Have fun, practice hard and don't let dad get under your skin, okay. He just wants you to be the best you can."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Mom tells me that all the time. Bye Sid. Love you."

"Love you too. See ya in a few days."

I felt for Taylor, our dad was intense and he always just wanted what was best for us. I was always able to take it with a grain of salt, but Taylor was different, she was, a girl. I mean, more sensitive. Snap out of it Crosby I said to myself. You're mad at yourself for talking to yourself about your sister. You really need to get a life.

Halfway through the trip I stopped for gas and decided to text Jack.

Sid: "Hey Bro, halfway there, I'll be there by midnight. Want to take a little detour to Minnesota to see Taylor?"

Jack: "Are we going to St. Mary's, because I wouldn't give up going back for a visit for anything. Do you think Mrs. Carlton is still teaching math? Man she was so hot.

Sid: You're sick. Still there, she's Tay's teacher.

Jack: Now I REALLY can't wait. Drive safe buddy. See ya tonight

I didn't reply, I hated texting. I hated Facebook, I hated Twitter, and I hated not being able to play fucking hockey. I could feel my grip tightening on the steering wheel as my foot pushed down on the gas pedal willing myself to make it to Jack's sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Guys, trying out a new story, let me know what you think. I don't expect everyone who reads this to actually comment but to the ones who do, you know how much I love it! It's what keeps me going. I've got lots of fun and trouble for these two to get into