C'est La Vie

Chapter three

I had no idea what to wear. It was a bar and not a nightclub, so I knew not to wear anything too revealing. I also knew not to dress up too much - it was just casual drinks. However at the same time I didn't want to be too underdressed, I really wanted to make friends tonight, with both Horratio's team and people I may meet tonight.

Dad offered to drive me to the bar, but I refused. I didn't want to look like I was twelve and being chaperoned.

I eventually settled on a tight black skirt that went to my waist, and a purple shirt that showed just the slightest hint of cleavage.

As it was summer, the setting sun in Miami was gorgeous. I couldn't see the team in the bar, so I ordered a drink and headed outside, knowing that would be their location.

Sure enough, they were there.

I nervously took the seat next to a pretty brunette, and sat in front of Ryan, not before greeting everyone first.

"Everyone, this is Anna, Frank's daughter. She's new to Miami, so I thought I'd invite her out." Calleigh introduced, and my cheeks turned red at her way of introducing me to everyone.

"Hi there, I'm Natalia." the brunette girl stated, smiling brightly as she offered her hand.

"Nice to meet you." I smiled, shaking her hand back but feeling slightly awkward at the formalities.

The other person I hadn't been introduced to started laughing.

"Eric! Don't be rude!" Calleigh shouted, giving him a light whack.

I didn't know what to do in this situation so I put on an awkward smile onto my face.

"Sorry Anna, it's nothing against you. You're just not what I pictured as Frank's daughter," Eric stated, "Oh and yeah, I'm Eric Delko."

"So tell us a little more about yourself Anna." Natalia requested, turning to me.

"Oh, um. Okay. I'm twenty-two. I recently graduated college with a business degree majoring in accounting and minoring in economics. I took a year off college to work full time, in which I got a little bit of accounts experience. Really, I'm not that interesting." I explained, turning red at the attention.

"Aw, isn't she such a sweet heart?" Calleigh said to everyone, making me turn even redder.

"Accounting and economics? You must be pretty smart." Ryan stated.

"Um, not really. It's just simple maths and formulas, you guys are the CSIs you're way smarter and more intelligent than me." I mumbled.

"So what are you doing in Miami right now?" Eric asked, moving the topic along, to which I sent him a grateful smile.

"I got a job as an accounts assistant for accounts payable for a small firm. Little steps. It doesn't pay too well, but I can still live comfortably. I managed to be able to afford a small studio apartment." I smiled.

"Good on you!" Natalia stated.

"I'm going to get another drink." I mumbled, downing my near-full drink in hand and getting up to go to the bar.

I felt bad for feeling so awkward. They were interested in me, or at least pretending to be. Either way they were being nice, but it was still awkward and forced conversation. Maybe if I get tipsier, or wait a while something else will break the ice?

I got up to the bar and ordered a drink, and while I was waiting a guy approached me. He looked to be in his thirties. He didn't look like a typical Miami guy, he was nearly as pale as me, and had a few tattoos running down his arms. I liked it. Not a guy I'd even consider dating, but not a Miami pretty boy at least.

"Hi there pretty lady. You look pretty lonely. Want to join me and my friends for a drink?" the man asked.

I looked back at the table of CSIs and considered it. I was here to make friends, right? But I couldn't ditch them so soon after getting here. It was awfully nice of them to allow me to tag along, and it would probably be less awkward later to converse with them once we all get some drinks into our system.

"I can't, my friends are here. How about I catch up with you later?" I offered.

"I'll see you then." the guy winked, taking his drink and walking off.

As I waited for the bar tender who was preparing drinks for a large table, I contemplated what I would order. I was almost tempted to order shots to make myself intoxicated faster in order to break the ice. But way to make myself look like an alcoholic. This was meant to be casual drinks, not a college party.

Before I could even open my mouth to order, a figure appeared next to me.

"Was that guy bothering you?" Eric asked, a frown etched over his face as he leaned on the bar next to me.

I blinked, being a little shocked at him suddenly appearing next to me.

"Oh! Um, no, not really. He invited me to sit with his group of friends, but when I declined he accepted it and moved on." I quickly stammered out, omitting the part where I told the stranger I'd catch up with him later.

"Alright. I don't like the look of him, if he hassles you later let me know, alright? I'll take care of him." Eric said to me, his frown not disappearing.

I didn't know how to take this. I was annoyed that he didn't think I could handle this situation on my own, or the fact that he barely knew me and was trying to protect me to this extreme. But at the same time I felt flattered. No one had aggressively protected me before, and as much as I wouldn't want one of my dad's co-workers to get into trouble it felt nice that someone would go to extremes to make sure I was okay.

"Okay. I trust you, and I trust your instincts. You know a lot more than me, and to be honest I'm quite naïve. It'd be stupid not to." I smiled at Eric, who dropped his frown immediately into a smile once he saw I wasn't offended, or wasn't going to rebel against his wishes.

"If you're going to trust me, I don't feel so bad letting you drink in that case. I'll buy you a drink, what do you want?" Eric asked me, pulling out his wallet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oops, I forgot to say this is based in season seven. So it's before Walter, Jesse, Sam etc join the team.