C'est La Vie

Chapter five

I agreed to let dad drive me to the event instead of getting a cab as he was going to the party as well, and it would be silly to pay money for a cab. When I got into the cab he looked me up and down, and I could tell he didn't like my dress. It did show a bit of skin I realised, but showing skin was the thing to do in Miami. My dress was nothing compared to what other girls wore.

It was a backless, navy blue halter dress. The front was v-shaped but only showed a hint of cleavage. The dress was backless, but there was a flowing skirt from my waist down with a pretty bow at the back. It was tame.

I had also straightened my hair, but put in a few loose curls through my hair. I also wore the usual make-up, plus lipstick with lots of shimmery lip-gloss applied over it, and ankle strap heels.

Dad did however say a few words about my dress when we walked in, and every pair of eyes was on us.

"Sweet pea if you like, I'll go back to your place and get a cardigan for you to wear over your dress? You might get a little cold." Dad said to me, pulling me aside briefly.

"Dad, it's fine. It's perfectly normal for you to be overprotective of me, especially when you haven't been around me a lot growing up and don't know what happens when I go out. But everyone here is someone you trust, right? No one here would hurt me. This is probably the safest place in Miami right now." I giggled to my dad.

"Tripp, it's okay. We've all got your back, and we're all watching to make sure she's okay." Eric said, coming over after hearing our conversation.

"Thank you Delko. Here's some money. Can you please get me a bourbon and coke? Buy something for yourself too." Dad said to Eric, handing him some cash. Eric only nodded as he walked off.

"Delko is a good kid, but I wouldn't trust him with you." Dad growled, as he watched Eric walk off to the bar.

"…why?" I curiously asked, finding Eric a little overprotective, but no other obvious flaws.

Dad sighed, before turning to me.

"A while ago he got drunk in a nightclub, and had err…sexual relations with a girl on a wall outside the nightclub where she stole his badge. Eric is an adult and can do whatever he likes in private, but I think it was a bit in bad taste." Dad explained to me.

I had to suppress a smile and a giggle. It was awful that he lost his badge in that way, but it was kind of funny to hear about a cop having sex that way.

"Hey Wolfe, do you mind keeping an eye out on Anna and looking after her if need be? I'm going to go mingle, and I'm sure she'll want to meet the younger people from MDPD as opposed to the people my age." Dad said, calling out to Ryan as he noticed him pass.

"Hi Frank. Yeah, that's not a problem. I was about to go do my rounds anyway, I'd be delighted to show Anna around." Ryan replied, stealing quick glances at me. I could tell he was being careful with his words as to not sound like he was babysitting me, and for that I was thankful.

Dad gave Ryan a pat on his shoulder before walking off.

"I'm glad you made it. You look…just wow. Completely stunning." Ryan smiled at me.

"You look pretty good yourself Ryan." I winked at him, and accepted his arm as he escorted me to meet everyone.

"So why did your dad ask me to look after you? I saw Eric approach you guys, why didn't he ask him?" Ryan asked me.

It was a little later on, and I had been introduced to nearly everyone in the bar at the party. Everyone was keen to meet Frank Tripp's daughter, and those I wasn't introduced to approached me to introduce themselves.

I got to meet a lot of people from the MDPD; most were from the day shift as they worked together. The day shift people and the night shift staff were kept as separate as possible in order to avoid conflicts, or so people from either shift could be used in cases where they may be conflicting interests.

Ryan and I were now in a secluded area, leaning on the wall and facing each other. My dad had gone home a long time ago, but I had still kept myself clinging onto him all night.

"Um, he told me about the time Eric had sex outside a nightclub and some girl stole his badge." I stammered out, my face heating up as I realised how awkward this conversation was.

Ryan then began to laugh uncontrollably, and I cracked a smile at his laugh.

"Yeah that was about he same time I been taken off patrol and into the lab when that happened. It was awkward, to say the least. I guess I knew patrol guys who would do things like that, but it was always kept separate from work." Ryan laughed.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. But Eric isn't that bad, is he?" I asked Ryan.

"God no. I'm sure you can think of something you've done that you regretted later on, something that was a one off. That was it for Eric. I know there's something I can think of I regret doing. Eric is a really good guy, who would go out of his way to protect any woman. He's not sleazy at all. That's why I'm surprised your dad chose me over Eric. Eric is well known for going to any length to save a woman." Ryan explained to me.

"I gotta say, I'm quite glad he wanted you to watch out for me though. I've enjoyed my night with you very much." I smiled at Ryan, taking a step towards him to show how flirty I was being.

"I've enjoyed spending time with you." Ryan said to me, putting his arms around me.

Were we about to kiss?