Sequel: The Road Ahead of Us
Status: active as often as possible

What the Past Never Told Us

Chapter Fourteen

I couldn't sleep. I had a pounding headache and my joints ached. I kept waking from nightmares and I really wanted Alex. I sit up and look over at my alarm clock. The bright red numbers read 2:13a.m. Trying to go to bed a little after 9 was obviously a bad idea.

Standing up from my bed made my joints crack and pop as I walked across my room and pushed aside the curtain. I was shocked to see Alex's bedroom light on. What was he still doing up? Maybe I could go over there. I wasn't gonna get any sleep anyway, maybe with him beside me I will.

I grab my jacket from my desk chair, sliding it on my shoulders before going to my closet and sliding on a pair of boots for the short walk over to Alex's house. I make sure to make as little noise as possible as I head out of my room, down the stairs and out the front door. I hoped the Gaskarth's front door would be unlocked but it turned out it wasn't so I had to upturn one of the decorative rocks on the path to get the spare key and unlock it. By the time I got that done and placed the key back in its spot and fixed the rock, I was freezing. It was cold for only being the beginning of October. Luckily, it was pretty warm inside the house.

I didn't make much noise as I walked up the familiar stairs and to Alex's bedroom. I give a soft knock on the door before opening it. Alex was seated at his desk, a notebook in front of him and his hair a mess, like he'd been running his hands through it for some time now. He turned and frowned at me as I closed the door after me.

"Izzy?" He frowned. "What are you doing here?" He questions. I shrug, my hands behind my back, shifting my weight from foot to foot.

"I tried to sleep but I just kept having nightmares." I explain. "I knew I wouldn't be able to get any sleep without you." He smiles and slowly stands up.

"I couldn't sleep either. I've just been working on some new songs." He points behind him at the notebook, making me nod. "I miss you, Iz." He whispers. "It's only been a day and yet I feel like it's been an eternity. I've been beating myself up all day about what I said last night and I'm so sorry, baby. I'm such a dumbass and when it comes to you, space is the last thing I want." I stand there for a second, just staring at him before closing the distance between the two of us. I wrap my arms around his neck, his arms going around my waist as my lips press to his. I kiss him for a few seconds before pulling back to smile at him.

"So our space is done now?" I ask, making him grin.

"I really hope so, baby." I smile and kiss him once again.

"Can you come cuddle with me or do you have to keep writing?" I ask him, stepping away from him. He looks back at his notebook and sighs.

"I think I'm done for the night. I wasn't really getting much done anyway. Let's go to bed." He says. I nod and slip off my jacket and shoes while he goes about taking off his jeans and t-shirt, leaving himself in his boxers. We make our way to his bed and curl up under the blankets, turning off the light first. It felt so good to be close and curled up against Alex again.

"I love you." I whisper, my head resting on his chest. I feel him kiss the top of my head, making me smile.

"I love you, babe." With that we both finally are able to fall asleep, now that everything was worked out. I wake up the next morning feeling very refreshed and finally rested. I know Alex is already awake as his fingers are running up and down my spine as I lay on my stomach, my face turned away from him. I smile and turn my head, seeing him already looking at me.

"Morning." I mumble, my voice thick with sleep. He smiles and leans down to press a soft kiss to the corner of my mouth. I love waking up to this man. I couldn't imagine a better way to start the morning.

"Good morning, love." His fingers still on my back, but his large hand continues to rest there as he smiles down at me.

"I should probably go home and get ready." I mumble, not really wanting to move or get up and go to school. I'd rather lay here with Alex all day. That wouldn't be wise though, not after missing Monday.

"Why don't you just get ready here? We can save time and shower together." He offers, smirking. I laugh and shake my head.

"I need to go home. My parents are probably wondering where I'm at." I say as I roll over and sit up, stretching my arms above my head. "Plus, I want food and my mom always makes breakfast."

"Fine, but I'll be over in like 20 minutes." He says, making me laugh.

"You mean like 45. You spend more time on your hair than I do." I reach over to ruffle his hair before standing up.

"But you love it." He too gets out of the bed, stretching. "I'll see you soon." I nod and blow him a kiss before grabbing my shoes and jacket and leaving the room. I say hello to Isobel and Peter in the kitchen on my way out before making my way back to my own house.

"So you and Alex made up, I'm guessing?" My mother says the second I walk in the door. She stands in the doorway of the kitchen, a spoon in her hand. I just grin at her and rush up the stairs. After a quick shower, I get dressed and do my hair and makeup and grab my bag. When I get downstairs, I find Alex, Jack and Rian are already there, and already devouring the eggs and bacon my mom made them all. Kara also sat across the table from Rian, her own smaller portion of eggs before her.

"Good morning!" Jack yells, his mouth full. I grimace but then smile at him none the less, taking my seat beside Alex. He leans over and kisses the corner of my mouth before going back to his food. "I'm glad everyone is happy and in love again. Things can go back to normal again." Jack says happily as my mom places food in front of me.

"Thanks, mom." I tell her, smiling up at her. I really did have the greatest mom. I feel like I didn't appreciate her enough. Maybe I could plan something for her and my dad, some kind of like relaxing trip or date. They deserve it.

We all eat breakfast, yelling loudly, making each other laugh and just being the best friends that we all are. When we finish, we all pile into Alex's car and head off to school.

"Why am I always stuck in the middle of these two smelly boys?" Kara complains from the backseat where she was sandwiched between Jack and Rian. I turn around from the passengers seat and grin at her. "How come you always get shotgun?"

"Simply because I'm dating the driver." I respond, making her roll her eyes.

"Well I say I drive tomorrow and make the three guys sit in the back." She says, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm good with that." I tell her, turning back around. Alex pouts over at me.

"I don't wanna sit back there with them!" He whines, making me laugh and shrug.

"Too bad." He simply laughs and shakes his head before pulling into the school parking lot. He parks in his usual spot and we all climb out.

"I don't wanna go to class." Alex complains, walking over to me and wrapping his arms around my waist, burying his face in my neck. "Let's skip and go make out underneath the bleachers." He mumbles, making me laugh and pat the top of his head.

"Nope, gotta go to class. We can make out later." I take his hand and pull him, leading the group, into the school.

The school day went by like any other school day; boring with a ton of homework.

"Band practice time!" Rian yells as we all walk back to Alex's car after our last class.

"Do you girls wanna go?" Alex asks Kara and I. Kara and I exchange a look before we both shake our head.

"Nah, I think we'll pass this time." I tell Alex who nods. We all pile into his car and he drives the short distance home, pulling up in my driveway. Kara climbs out of the back but I lean over, pressing my lips to his.

"I'll come over after practice." He says when we pull back. I smile and nod, pecking his lips once more. "I love you."

"I love-"

"Enough with the mushy shit, we get it. Get the fuck out!" Jack yells from the back. I turn around and glare at him, making him cower back. "Sorry, carry on." He holds his hands up defensively. I laugh and shake my head.

"Bye, guys." I smile at Rian and Jack, then Alex, before leaving the car. Kara was already inside so I make my way inside as well, putting my bag down beside the door. I make my way into the kitchen to find Kara eating a cookie. "I want cookies!" I yell, running over to her. She laughs hands me a cookie from the package she had in her hand.

"So things with you and Alex all good now?" She asks as we stand here, enjoying our cookies.

"Yeah. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and just couldn't sleep so I went over to Alex's. He was awake too so we made up. I stayed over there last night." I explain, making her nod.

"I'm glad things are good now. You two are like my favorite couple in the world and I want you guys to never break up." She says, making me smile.

"I don't think we'll be breaking up any time soon. Our one year anniversary is coming up, kind of." Her face lights up and she looks excited.

"What are you guys doing?" She questions. I shrug, finishing off my cookie. Once I swallow, I answer.

"I don't know, he said he's gonna come up with something."

"I'm sure it'll be cute and romantic. Alex may be a dumbass but he's a romantic dumbass." She says, making us both break into laughter.

"He's my romantic dumbass." I say, making us laugh again. "Wanna work on homework together?" I ask her once we calm down.

"Yeah, I'll probably need help with some stuff. It comes in handy to have a genius as a best friend." I roll my eyes as we head upstairs, grabbing our bags as we go.

"I'm not a genius, Kara, I just pay attention in class." I tell her as we got into my room.

"Can I confess something to you?" She asks a little later as we sit on my bed, working on our homework.

"Of course." I tell her, not looking up from my books. When she stays silent though, I look up to see her biting her lip nervously. "Is everything okay? What is it?" I question worriedly.

"I... well... I like... Rian." She mutters, looking down. I break into the largest grin I have probably ever had.

"That's so great, Kara!" I exclaim, clapping my hands. She laughs and shakes her head.

"I don't know if he likes me back though. I mean... he's had a year to make a move and he hasn't done anything. He's even dated other people." She says, shrugging.

"Oh, Kara. He likes you, I'm sure of it. What's not to like? You are beautiful, smart, funny, caring. Hell, I'd date you if I rolled that way." I tell her, making her laugh.

"But then.. why hasn't he done anything?"

"It's Rian, he's just nervous. I promise you though, I'll do my thing, drop some hints, and you two will be together before you know it." I vow. I had been wanting the two of them together since I met both of them. I knew they would be wonderful together and I was going to do whatever I could to make it happen. It would be like perfection in a couple. After Alex and I of course.

"You really think he likes me?" Kara asks quietly.

"Yes, Kara. I do." I tell her honestly. She breaks into a large grin, making me smile as well. I could see that she really did like him. They would end up together, I was sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Isabelle's outfit for school

Not much in this chapter apart from her and Alex making up. Things with Kara and Rian gonna start soon? Hmmmmm. :)