‹ Prequel: 2. Bittersweet
Sequel: 4. Hate
Status: 3/200

3. Love

What is love?

What is love?

That is the question Alex Gaskarth and Jack Barakat were met with on the whiteboard of their classroom as they walked in to first period on Monday morning.

“Good morning class. As you can see the topic for today’s discussion is the age old question ‘what it love’. So, if you could all split into pairs to discuss individually, then we’ll regroup and share our opinions later in the lesson.” Mrs Harvey instructed from behind her desk. Alex let out a happy sigh. This is why he loves his teacher, she’s just so damn lazy, and he wouldn’t change a thing about her.

The two boys made their way over to their seats at the back of the class, backpacks quickly discarded on the floor and feet kicked up on the desk.

Alex already had his arms crossed across his chest, smirk placed firmly on his face. “So Jackery, what is love?”

“Love is what it feels like when you suck my dick.” The other retorted, his smirk mirroring the one of his boyfriend was currently wearing.

“Now, now. Wouldn’t want to be sharing things like that with the class now would we?”

“Well I don’t know... it might be kinda hot.” The pair laughed at their own banter before settling in to a much more appropriate discussion on the topic provided.

“No but seriously, what do you think it is?” The elder questioned.

Jack sighed, and suddenly became very interested in his hands as he twisted his fingers together, “I don’t know, ‘Lex. I guess, I guess love is when you can be completely and utterly comfortable with someone. They’re your best friend and you can talk to them about anything. They could hurt you in the absolute worst possible way, and yet you’d still find yourself smiling as soon as you see them. I suppose... love is where they could do absolutely anything, and you’d still be there by their side. Love means nothing can come between you.”

After a few seconds of silence he raised his head, expecting his partner to laugh at him. Instead he found said boy sat with his jaw hanging lose, a look of what could only be described as – well – love, in his eyes. Not only that, as he looked over his boyfriend’s shoulder he could see that girl Hannah staring at him with tears in her eyes. As he met her gaze she gave him a small nod and a smile before ducking her head and wiping the moisture from her face.

Jack was confused – what had he said that made them react in such a way? He thought that was what the general opinion of love was? It wasn’t that awe-worthy... was it?

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?” When he received no response he gently slapped Alex on the cheek.

“Oi! Pervert, if you’re gunna eye me up at least ask me to dinner first.” He received a smile in response as the blonde haired boy took one of his hands in his own.

“Sorry, it’s just... you never cease to amaze me Mr Barakat.” Both boys smiled as Alex places his free hand behind Jacks necks and pulled him forward in to a soft kiss. Jack was just about to lean back in when the voice of their ever so perfectly timed teacher interrupted,

“Okay class, that’s enough private discussion,” making sure to look pointedly at the two boys, “now, who would like to start us off?”

Of course, being your typical high school class it took a few minutes of silence before anyone took the risk of volunteering to go first, and when they did it was someone Jack was shocked to realised he didn’t recognise the shy girl stood in front of the class. He leant over and rested his head on Alex’s shoulder, “Hey, do you know who she is?” he whispered.

“Huh? Oh, yeah, that’s Terie; she’s from the Philippines, remember?” Jack tutted, of course, trust Alex to know exactly who she is, he knew who everyone was in this hellhole.

“Oh, er, yeah, I forgot, my bad.” Alex turned his head briefly to show a soft smile, before turning his attention back to the main focus of the room as he took Jacks hand in his.

Terie shuffled nervously under the gaze of her classmates, but she knew she had to say this. Even if he didn’t know it was about him, she needed to get it off her chest. “For me – uh – for me, love is when you’d do anything to make someone happy, even when they don’t love you back.” It was short, it was simple, but it was enough. She kept her head down as she returned to her seat, and kept it down for the rest of the lesson, simply listening to what people had to say.

Next to take the spotlight was Savannah, Jack was proud, he actually knew who this person was. She stood up with a big smile on her face, radiating confidence as she simply said “in the words of Maroon 5, ‘it’s not always rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise’” before sitting back down and continuing to talk amongst her friends.

A few more people stood and said their pieces, some arguing that love doesn’t exist, some counter arguing with ‘you love your parents don’t you? BOOM. Sit down’ Jack just shook his head at how childish his classmates were some times.

“Alright class, if that’s all-”

“Wait! Miss, I – uh – have something to say.” Everyone’s heads turned with wide eyes as they acknowledged the fact that Alex Gaskarth, the boy who usually does anything he can to avoid contributing to class, had actually stood before the class to volunteer his opinion.

“Oh! Of course, go ahead Alex.”

The blonde haired boy looked down on his boyfriend, who in turn was staring up at him with wide eyes, but still holding his hand none the less. Alex gave it a soft squeeze before looking back up at his classmates.

“To me, love is when you get butterflies right here,” he rested his hand on his stomach and gently patted it, “even when you see them every day. Love is when you can talk all the time about anything and everything without getting bored even once, but it’s also being able to sit in absolute silence and just enjoy one an others company. It’s about having trust in that person, trust that they can spend their days doing whatever the hell they please, but at the end of the day it’s always you they come back to. Love is about knowing you’ve found the person that completes you, the person that can make you smile – even just a little bit – on your darkest days when it feels like nothing can go wrong. The person whose cuddles you crave at night, or when you’re feeling down and just need someone to tell you it’s okay. Love is finding someone like my Jack Barakat here, who – when you find them – let’s you know, that no matter what happens, everything’s gunna be okay as long as you have them in your life.”

Throughout his speech, Alex’s gaze had drifted back down to the eyes of his boyfriend sat at his side, so when he looked back up he was surprised to see every girl – and even some of the guys – in his class crying. He didn’t want to question it though and ruined the moment, so instead he sat back down and places another gentle kiss to Jacks lips.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, this is terrible, but it's all I could think of, and I'm trying to do this in order, so I'm afraid this is the best you're going to get.

Thank you to Hannah, Savannah and Terie for letting me use your opinions/base the opinions on :)

Feedback is always welcome.

- Becky xo