Made of Wax

Introduction

My name is Penelope Sanders, I just turned eighteen years old and I love to dance, especially with my best friends. My special is hip-hop. When I was three months old, I got adopted because my biological parents didn’t know how to raise a child, and they were too young as well. I got adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Sanders from Long Beach, California, who apparently knew my biological parents.

My family consists of my parents, who are called Gary and Kim. Then I have two siblings called Matthew and Amy, and then the youngest kid, me. Matthew is the oldest one though; he is almost fourteen years older than me.

I’ve always wanted to go into Baltimore School for the Arts, also known as BSA. Because you see, my older brother Matthew had become a huge and famous musician. He is the lead singer in a heavy-metal/rock band called Avenged Sevenfold. My sister Amy; has become a pretty huge and famous basketball player, and she’s more or less living her life of it. The there is me, a twenty-two years old young woman who still lives at home, and are dancing in the streets ‘for fun’, as my parents like to call it. Therefore I just really want to go into that school, to prove to my parents that I can be something huge as well. Is that wrong?

Actually what surprise most people, is that I dance modern ballet, which is what I want to do if I get into the school. But if I get into the school, I have to move far away from California. It means that I have to move across the country, and it scared me a bit, but I can do that, right?

Well I probably made it sound like I hate my siblings, but I really don’t, I love them with all of my heart, well at least most of the time. I always love Amy no matter what, but that is because she support me in everything, even my dance which both of my parents and Matthew don’t.

Unfortunately Amy moved out, some years ago as did Matthew, which I don’t really care about. I’m sorry to say, but I just don’t. It’s not like I hate him, because I still see him, and I even sleep at his and his wife’s place sometimes. You see, I really love his wife, she is so cool, and by the way, her name is Valary. But back to the story, I love hanging around at his house, but unfortunately his friends come by a lot because Matthew has his own studio at home.

It’s not like I hate his friends either, they are just really annoying and keep harassing me about me dance and all. Several times they caught me out on the streets at night, dancing; having battles against others and so on, and then they would embarrass me in front of all of them, and take me either back home to my parents, or home to Matthew. Both places I would get yelled off for being out on the ‘dangerous’ street at night.

When I think about it, I think my brother hates me. I always get to come to the games my sister is playing, but I’m never allowed to go to one of my brothers shows. Not backstage and not in the crowd, all because he is afraid that I’m going to ruin it for his fans, with my “gang” friends.

As he told me himself, and as my parents told me, “he doesn’t mean it like that”. I don’t quite believe them, but I think it is because of all the age difference there is between me and him. But I try to put it all behind me, and just ignore him as much as possible when he is home, visiting us.

“Penelope, the dinner is ready” my mom yelled from downstairs, breaking me out of my trance.

“I’m coming mom” I yelled back, before I closed the screen on my laptop and went downstairs.