Status: A new work in progress, not sure how fast I can get chapters out, feedback would be greatly appreciated

When a Reaper Falls

Fateful Meeting

(The first part is a journal entry in Luca's journal after the ~~~~ it begins the story leading up to the journal entry)

~October 31st, 2012~

Life is a special gift given to people in hopes that they live it to the best of their ability. It is easily given but yet it is much easier to take. Humans are meant to live amongst each other, love each other and care for one another. But the world turned dark, turned evil. It wasn't planned for humans to turn against one another, but it happened. My people, we have been around since time began, living among humans observing their actions, watching evil corrupt and consume this once pure world. We work with God, but yet in books, our name is disgraced, casted as an evil race that aids the devil in harming others. That is far from what we do.

Angels of Death, or humans like to call us Grim Reapers, are not evil creatures that aid the devil. We are simply creatures that help balance out the world, taking souls when it is their time to go. Angels of Death do not just work for the devil, we also aid heaven. Souls will either be delievered to Heaven, or will be sent to Hell depending on the humans' actions while they were amongst the living.

My name is Luca Corven. I am one of millions of Reapers, living on Earth as if I were human. There's no harm, I look the part, I act it. I live in a quiet apartment complex posing as an artist. Drawing and painting is something I do well and have grown to love over my many centuries of existing. I say many centuries, however I look as if I am in my early twenties. Most Reapers appear young because most Reapers get to choose where their age stops. Some are elders, some my age, and yes some are even children. Most Reapers believe humans feel more connected to children, more believing. So when the time comes for their soul to be taken, they are more likely to believe a child. But in any case, Reapers never fail to take the souls they are sent to collect. At least, not until I fell in love...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luca! I want to go trick or treating!!"

Luca felt a smile spread across his face as he stood from his chair turning just in time to see his little sister Syrena open his bedroom door. She was living with him in the little apartment he owned, their cover story being that their parents were killed in a plane crash. The story wasn't true. Their parents were murded by demons. Reapers are immortal, but they can be killed. It's a difficult process though and most never even attempt it. But a few hunters did attempt it on their parents and succeeded.

"Ok Syrena I'll take you." Luca grabbed his beanie, pulling it onto his head then pulled on his long black coat and boots. He smiled at his sister who was dressed like a fairy with colorful wings. "Go grab your bucket!"

Syrena ran off and before Luca knew it they were out on the darkening streets watching humans scatter around the streets from house to house with their children. Luca enjoyed it though. Out of all the holidays, Halloween was his favorite.

He stood at the end of a driveway, hands in his pockets as he kept his eyes on Syrena. It's not like he had to, she could take care of herself. She may look all sweet and innocent, but if you threatened or scared her, it would be over. Of course, Reapers didn't kill just anyone. Reapers are assigned souls to take, almost like a never ending list. Reapers are only allowed to kill if their lives are threatened.

"Go on Anna! I'm right here! I'll be watching!"

Luca didn't turn, but the voice alone had him mesmorized. It was a woman, sounding to be young. He could feel her presence near him. He heard her speak again, and finally realized she was adressing him.

He turned locking eyes on the woman. Luca was in awe. He had never seen a more beautiful human. "I'm sorry did you speak to me?"

"Yes," She smiled brightly, "I asked if you were waiting on someone?"

Luca nodded as he looked her over. Now that he was looking at her, she looked familiar to him. Who was she? "My little sister is trick or treating."

"Oh how sweet," She smiled again. "Is that her?"

Luca turned watching Syrena wait in line for candy. "Yes that's my sister."

"She's so adorable," The woman spoke, turning to look at him.

Luca stared back at her in a daze. Her eyes were the most beautiful color. Her hair was perfect against her pale skin. Never, in his entire existance, has he been mesmorized by a human.

"Um, I'm Maria," She held out her hand to him with a bright smile.

Luca took it, enclosing her hand with his in a simple hand shake. But just that nearly took his breath away. "Luca," He simply replied.

"Let's go Luca! Hurry!" Syrena ran past him on down the street.

"Sorry, it was nice to meet you." He tipped his head and quickly headed down the street. As he was waiting for Syrena from the next house he slipped his hand into his coat pocket, pulling out the picture of the next soul he has to claim. His stomach seemed to tighten as he looked at the picture. This had never happened to him before.

"Luca I'm ready for the next street!"

He could hear his sister's voice but he couldn't speak.

"Luca what's wrong?"

Luca was speechless...The woman he just met, the only human to have left him feeling human, is supposed to die tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a short chapter because I wanna know feedback before I continue so please please leave comments. It's ok if it sucks you can say it