Summer Love

jeden

I will never forget the summer of 2009. It was the summer that changed my life. It was the summer I went to London with my mom. Of course, like most amazing summers, there was a boy. He was the cutest, sweetest guy I have ever met. His hair was always a mess on his head. His eyes were so blue, I got lost every time. It was the summer he told me he was auditioning to be on X-Factor. Me, being American, had no idea what it was, but he explained. I was happy that he had a dream and was fulfilling it. I, on the other hand, still was figuring that out at the time.

I sat upon a chair in my front porch as my eleven year old sister came bouncing out of the front door. Her head was bobbing to the beat that came from her headphones. I don’t listen to music all that much, unless I’m at the salon. Here I was a nineteen year old girl that still lived with her parents and little sister. The summer of 2009 was possibly the best one I had to this day. I thought back to that summer a lot. A smile was always brought to my face when I remembered when Louis held my hand walking from shop to shop. I remember when he would always joke around and me laugh so hard, I cried. I missed him awfully bad. I wished for another summer with him, and I’ll finally be able to move on.

I sighed as I looked down at my lemonade. The glass started to drip with water onto the side table of the chair I sat in. I heard my little sister mumbling lyrics to the song she was listening to. Some of it went, “you don’t know you’re beautiful”. Her singing wasn’t the best, but she was only eleven.

“Evelyn!” I hollered over to her, “Eve!”

Her head jerked over to where I sat, “what?”

“What are you listening to?”

Her face lit up and a smile turned the corners of her lips, “It’s a British boy band.”

I instantly rolled my eyes at her, “A boy band?”

“Yeah,” she jumped on a chair next to the table by me, “They’re called One Direction. And OMG! You have to listen to them. They are amazing! And they’re cute!” she squealed.

“Okay,” I laughed at her.

“Oh my God,” she giggled, “And Harry is just so hot!!!!” she squeaked.

“Do you have a photo of them?” I laughed.

“Yes,” she grabbed my hand and lead me up to her room, even though I was joking about the photo, “Look,” she handed me a magazine of the band, “aren't they so cute! I’m so going to marry one of them!”

I had to take a double-take because of the resemblance. It couldn't be him. His eyes were even more blue than I remembered. His hair was in a perfect quiff. His face looked the same. The bone structure and all. It was only an older version of him, the guy I once knew. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen, where my mother was making lunch.

“Mom,” I shouted, my eyes bulging out my eye sockets.

My mother jumped in the air, turning to face me, with her hand grasping her chest, “Devin!” her eyes looked like mine.

“Did you know that Louis was in Evelyn’s favorite band?” I asked her.

“Yes, I did,” she released her chest and eased up, “why does it matter?”

“Because I haven’t forgotten him, mother,” I slapped the magazine on the counter, “I would have liked to know about it.”

“I didn’t think you’d care.”

“Mom,” I shut my eyes, “you were there. I told you everything that happened that summer. You know I was in love with him, right?”

My mother sighed, “I do but, you seemed so hurt. I thought it would be best if you didn’t know.”

I sat on the stool that sat by the island in the kitchen, “mom,” I sighed and rubbed my hands together, “I still haven’t moved on. I’m,” I took a deep breath, “I think I’m still in love with him.”

My mother put down the fork she had in her hands and sat down on the stool next to mine. She wrapped one of her arms around my shoulders, “I’m sorry Devin,” she pushed my bangs away from my face, “don’t you still have his number?”

I looked up at her, “No,” I sighed, “I think he changed it. I tried calling him a couple months after that summer. I just can’t believe he made it,” I looked up at my mom, “he’s living his dream. The dream he loved telling me about. I still remember that summer so vividly.”

I hugged my mother and went up to my room. The green color of my walls looked sickly to me now. The pea colored walls were fairly baron, too. The only things that hung was a framed collection of photos I had taken from a concert, an orange clock, and a Harry Potter poster. I went over to my bed and wrapped myself in the maroon blanket that was thrown onto the bed. I just sat there until I grew tired and decided to lay down to get some rest. To my dismay, it only made memories flood my mind…

I laughed as I saw Louis try to make a hat out of a soccer ball. He cut a piece of it so it was just a flap. He pulled it to stay and put it on his head. His smile was so cute. His eyes gleamed in the sunshine of the evening.

“Look,” he announced, “I made meself a hat.”

I pulled at it, “very nice job Lou,” I smiled, “you should be a designer.”

“You know, that sounds brilliant, but I want to be a singer,” he folded his arms across his chest, “I can still be a style icon, though,” he beamed at me.

I nodded in agreement, “Oh, Louis,” I giggled, “you are such a diva!”

He pulled his head back and scoffed, “Excuse me, Devin,” he chuckled, “I think I’m just self aware of my good looks and charm.”

“Whatever you say, Lou.”

“Devin,” he spoke, taking his ball hat off and sat down next to me on his front steps, “I really had fun this summer.”

“I did, too,” I grinned at him in delight.

“Yeah,” he looked down, “just don’t forget about it, love.”

I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and put my head on his shoulder, “I don’t think I can do that, plus,” I lifted my head to look him in his eyes, “there’s still an entire two weeks until I have to go.”

“I know that, but I had fun,” he rubbed his hands together, “I just really like you.”

“Louis,” I looked away from him, “I like you, too”

I felt his hand grab my chin, it brought my face to his own. He lifted my face up and I saw his eyes sparkle. I felt my heart give a jolt of excitement. My green eyes grew as his lips touched mine. Once our lips locked, my green orbs closed. I kissed him back. It was the best kiss I had ever received. Not that I kissed a lot of people, but his kiss felt right. It felt like electricity surged through my body.


I jumped out of bed when I heard rapid knock at my bedroom door. I looked at the clock and realized I had slept the day away.

“Devin,” I heard my mother call, “are you okay? You’ve been out for hours. You missed lunch, come eat dinner!”

I got up and stretched the soreness away. I yawned and finally got up from the bed. I unraveled the blanket around me and walked over to open the door. I saw my mom with her hand ready to knock again. She let her hand fall, then smile at me.

“Hello,” she said, “come join us for dinner.”

“Alright,” I yawned again, “can I ask you something?”

My mother looked back at me and said, “sure, anything.”

I cocked my head and rubbed the back of my neck, “do you think, maybe,” I laughed nervously, “that we could go back to London? I mean, I’m sure Louis’ mom will remember us. It wasn't that long ago, right?”

“Oh, wow,” she stopped at the top of the stairs, “maybe honey,” she sighed, “I’ll have to talk about it with your father.”

“Really mom? Do you think he’ll care?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Just because he lives in London doesn't mean anything.”

“Well, last time he bought us those tickets.”

“Yeah, he bought them, but he doesn't want to see his daughter?”

My mother sighed, “Devin,” she crossed her arms over her chest, “he loves you, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, he loves me so much, that I haven’t seen or talked to him in about ten years.”

“Well, he has another family in London,” she bit her lip.

“Mom,” I felt my eyes burn, “he doesn't even want me to meet his new family. I doubt they even know that he has another daughter, from a previous marriage.”

My mother being the optimist continued, “I’m sure they know-”

“Mom,” I huffed out a breath, “You got divorced when I was only one! I doubt he cares about me.”

“He does,” she pushed, “he just doesn't want to talk to me. He’s the one who wanted to get away from me, sweetie.”

“Well, what if I go alone, then? Maybe he’ll have no choice?”

“I could ask him.”

“How about you save yourself the heartache and I just ask?”

“Fine,” she mumbled then went downstairs to the dining room.

I hated when my mother was like that. She just didn’t want me to be alone with him, afraid that I’d want to stay. But, the last time I talked to him was when I was nine. The last time I saw him was when I was seven. It was like he tried to get rid of my existence. It was a slow process, but I ended up not caring, because of the new guy my mother started seeing.

I round the corner to the dining room. I saw James, my mothers husband, and my step-father. He was still more of a father to me than my biological one. He was sweet and loved me just as much as his own flesh and blood.

“Hey, James,” I looked at him as soon as I sat down. My hands were displayed on the table, palms down, “do you think I could go to London this summer?”

His eyes shot to my mother. She had her arms folded across her chest. Her shrug gave him nothing, “Um,” he looked back at me, “I think you should ask your father about that.”

“Oh, you think Geoff would care? He’s done it before.”

“Yeah, but you know him and your mother.”

“No, I mean by myself.”

“I think you should call him,” he bit his lip.

I sighed and sat back in my chair, perplexed. Should I go for it and take the chance in calling him? Or should I just let it go and just forget about London all together? I had half siblings in London and I have never met them before. I think his new family should know about it. I’m his daughter and he never showed me any affection.

I got up from the table, “I think I’ll call him before I eat, just in case.”

I waltzed into the kitchen and took the phone. It took all of ten minutes to muster up the courage to dial the long number to London. I placed the phone to my ear and listened to the ringing. It was so silent, I couldn't even breath. I perched myself on the stool and waited.

“Hello,” I heard a rough, British voice.

“Geoff?” I asked.

“Yes, this is he,” he confessed.

“Hi, it’s Devin.”

“Oh, hey,” his voice lowered, “now is not a good time.”

“I just need to ask you a quick question.”

“Alright.”

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, “I was wondering if I could come down this summer or something,” I bit my lip, “by myself.”

There was silence at the other end of the receiver. I was worried he had already hung up as I was rambling. Once my hopes were shot down, I heard him sigh.

“I think I could work something out.”

“Great.”

“But why would you want to do that?”

I couldn't tell him it was for a boy, so I answered with this, “I was hoping to see you again and get to actually be with you for more then an hour. You know, try to rekindle our relationship. And quite possibly meet your new family.”

I heard a squeak like he had just sat on a couch or cushioned chair, “You make me sound like a bad person.”

I let out an awkward laugh, “I’m not trying to do that,” I tell him, even though he really was a terrible person for leaving me.

“Okay,” he sighed loudly, “I’ll look into it and call you tomorrow around the same time.”

“Okay,” I finally took an easy breath, “thanks.”

With that, we both hung up. I didn’t get up from where I sat. The phone was still in my hands. My head hung low. I was doubtful that he would do anything. He would either call and lie or he just won’t call at all. On the other hand, he still had the same number, which was a good sign.
♠ ♠ ♠
Devin's Outfits

So, here is my Louis story. I want to write a story about each of the 1D members. A full length story!
Comment, Subscribe, or recommend!

X Dani

PS: I'm using Polish numbers, because I can.