Get Your Kicks

Estella Roman

As we sat in the back and everyone chatted I looked out the window. I could feel Louis’ leg pressed against mine and it was making me blush, which I was trying to hide. I mean, sure he was cute, but I knew nothing about him. Besides, I was sure a stunning guy like him wouldn’t want anything to do with a normal girl like me. He probably had supermodels to sleep with or something, and I wasn’t too keen on getting attached. Just a few more hours and we’d be rid of them and I could go back to focusing on the girls. I looked up front to Healy and Zayn, who seemed to be getting along well. I didn’t want to really be a third wheel, so I opted to stay quiet.

But a hand on my knee made me flush as I shot up to see Louis smiling at me. He grinned when he saw how red my face was and removed his hand. “Sorry love, didn’t mean to scare you.” His smile was beautiful, but I didn’t like that it was probably because he was laughing at me.

“What did you need?’ I muttered.

“Well you’ve been near silent the whole trip. I wanted to talk to you.”

“Why would you want to talk to me?” I asked. “There’s only about two hours left in the-” A loud clunk broke off my sentence as smoke poured out in front of the windshield and the bus stopped dead in its tracks.

“Fuck!” Healy snapped, getting out and headed towards the front of the bus. I unbuckled my seatbelt and made my way out, quickly followed by Louis. I stopped suddenly and felt him press into my back, which just made me turn bright red again. He blushed too and took a step back.

“Sorry.” He muttered, running one of his hands through his feathery hair. I pretended not to hear him as I made my way to the hood of the car. Healy quickly popped it and the two of us were engulfed in smoke. We both backed away, coughing. The rest of our group had made their way out and the boys looked concerned.

“What’s wrong?” Liam asked.

“With this old piece of shit, it could be anything.” Healy said, scowling at the old bus.

“What are we going to do?” Niall asked, looking worriedly at Harry, who was scowling.

“We’re going to die.” Harry said simply. “It’s like Final Destination, we can’t escape it.” He looked over at Brenna and grinned wickedly. “But at least this time I don’t have to sleep with you lads for warmth.”

“Harry, seriously?” Liam snapped.

I pressed my lips together and looked around, not wanting to deal with these strange boys for another moment. I wished we had never picked them up, they were proving to be nothing but a pain. I started walking off to think when something caught my eye. I jogged over to a road sign as I heard Harry start grumbling about keeping Niall away from the food. I smiled as I covered my eyes from the glare and made out the words on the sign.

“Hey!” I yelled. I turned back to see that Louis was the only one who’d looked up. He jogged over to me and smiled when he read what I did.

“Way to go Elle!” He cheered, picking me up in a hug and spinning me around. I flushed; feeling oddly safe in his strong arms as he finally set me down and looked at me. His gaze was impossible to look away from until I remembered that if we hadn’t stopped for them we might not be in this situation and stepped away from him.

“We should probably tell the others.”

“Right.” He said, blushing lightly. We both turned, Louis calling to the rest of the group as I waved them over. They all covered their eyes and smiled as they read what Louis and I had.

Perdió la Roca, 2.3 miles


“We can come back for our things.” Darcy said quickly.

“Yeah, we probably want to leave now if we’re planning on getting there before sunset.” Liam chimed in.

“Or we can stay here tonight and head out first thing tomorrow so we’re not trying to beat the sunset.” Harry suggested, smiling wickedly at Brenna again. She just acted like she didn’t see it before looking to me, Healy, Darcy, and Tay.

“Well girls, what do you say?”

“I say we head out tomorrow, like Harry said.” Darcy said, grinning at the curly haired boy.

“I think we should stay too.” Healy agreed.

“I think we should go now, we don’t know how cold it’s going to get and we don’t have a lot of blankets.” Tay said. “Besides, we don’t know what kinds of psychos might be out here at night.” Brenna nodded.

“I think you’re right Tay.” I said quietly. “But what if we get stuck out there in the middle of the night? I’d rather be in the car where we can at least lock the doors.” Brenna nodded.

“Alright, we stay here.” She said finally. Darcy cheered, hugging Harry and Niall as Tay simply sighed, looking at the sun setting in the sky. As everyone piled into the back of the van to figure out sleeping arrangements I went to close the hood only to feel a hand on top of mine. I looked over to see Louis as we both blushed and I pulled my hands away.

“Sorry.” He smiled softly at me.

“Stop apologizing love, maybe the universe is trying to tell us something.” I turned even redder as I all but ran into the back of the van. Tay was pulling Liam’s phone out of his hands, Healy was blushing as Zayn said something to her, Darcy was smiling at Niall, who was red in the face, and Harry just kept smirking at Brenna as she grabbed our few blankets out of the back. Louis climbed in behind me and I was about to scurry to the other end of the van when I felt his hand on my shoulder. I spun around to see his face was only inches from mine and blushed again.

“What?” I managed to choke out, my heart thudding so loudly I was sure everyone could hear it.

“Look, I’m sorry if what I said made you uncomfortable. I’m just trying to be friendly, that’s all.” He smiled at me again and I just nodded, crawling to the back to help Brenna with the blankets. As I handed out the last blanket I went to go sit with Tay, but an arm and the feeling of fleece stopped me. I looked over to see Louis wrapping half of his blanket around me and smiling again. I flushed, looking at the floor as he kept his arm around my waist to hold the blanket around me. I looked up to see everyone smiling and turned even redder, running one of my hands through my hair.

“So, how about another game?” Harry suggested. “At least until we all pass out that is.”

“Yeah!” Darcy cheered again, her eyes shining. “But not twenty questions, let’s play something fun.”

“Oh, and what exactly did you have in mind?” Zayn asked, grinning at her. She smirked right back at him.

“How about Truth or Dare?” This was met with a resounding ‘now you’re talking’ from Harry and agreement from the rest of the group. I just sighed, knowing that this wasn’t going to end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
World, meet Elle!
Emaleigh is next
and you know it's going to be great!
xoxox
TMG