Status: Indefinite Hiatus

Red Roses

IV

"Hey, Eve." I looked up and smiled at whoever had spoken and returned to my book. Before it could suck me back in though, the chair beside mine squeaked and my desk buddy joined me at our table.

"Hey you," he said softly, nudging me. I smiled brightly but thankfully my book ensured he couldn't see it. "Eve, put the book down and talk to me. I'm bored," he whined.

I put the book down and looked up at him, my eyes locking with his shocking blue ones.

"Jay, you literally just sat down. How the hell can you already be bored?" I asked dubiously. He smiled mysteriously.

"You weren't talking to me, of course I was bored."

"Hey, Jay!" someone from behind us yelled out. We turned around to see who and it was Jay's friend, Kyle.

"Yea?" Jay asked.

"Question for you. The guys and I were talking about all these people that move here from different countries and stuff. The guys said they wished more European girls would move here‒"

"Yea! European girls are hot!" one of the guys exclaimed.

"But," Kyle continued, glaring at the guy, "I think we should have more Australian girls come over because they're downright smokin'. We need to know what you think to clear this up."

"Yea, what do you think, Jay?" a different guy shouted. I couldn't understand how they could be so energetic ‒ it was only first period.

"I don't know, man, I kind of prefer Scottish girls. They're fucking gorgeous," Jay told them. I looked at him and our eyes locked ‒ as usual ‒ and he blushed. His friends were silent for a couple seconds and then they started wolf-whistling. I blushed and turned back around.


My eyes snapped open and locked onto the sight of my alarm clock. 7:57 am. Great. I groaned and pulled the blankets over my head.

Of all the things, of all my memories for me to dream of right now in my life, why did it have to be that day?

I sighed and peeked out from under the covers at the clock. 7:59 am. For the first time ever, at that moment, I chose to spend the rest of the day in bed.