Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Samantha: Cautionless

His name was Jay. That was all I knew about this stranger. In the daylight, he looked completely normal; like an ordinary guy. He was quite attractive, and his white eyes I had seen before we're now ice blue, and were very gorgeous. He wasn't as big as he was the other times I had seen him, but I could tell he worked out a lot from the size of his arms visible through his leather jacket. He urged me to keep our encounter a secret, and even though I didn't actually know him, I trusted that suggestion. It was more of a order, rather than a request. But none the less, I was to keep it to myself. That was probably the safest thing, seeing as though I would look like a lunatic trying to explain it to anyone else. I knew Lacey would think I flipped my lid and Rose and Jolene would never believe me. Which reminded me, I had an afternoon lunch date with the three of them.

Image

I drove into the parking lot and pulled next to Lacey's car. After grabbing my purse and locking my doors, I got into the passenger seat of Lacey's vehicle.

"Rose and Jo here yet?"

"Nah, they're on their way." She said chomping down on a candy bar.

"We come out to eat and you bring food to have before hand?" I asked her with a laugh.

"Hey, I got here early and I was hungry. I didn't want to wait. And good thing too, cause look! Still waiting on two!"

"True. Then share." I reached my hand out and she tore off a small piece for me.

"So, I need to talk you." I said very seriously after swallowing the rich chocolate.

"Alright, what's goin on?" Lacey was one who acted silly the majority of the time. But she always knew when to put aside the craziness and be serious when I needed her. I turned around in the seat so I could face her. I had covered my black eye with makeup but it was still slightly visible.

"What happened to your eye?!" She asked. For a moment, I weighted my options on the story I should tell her. If I told her about Ian, she would want to know why I didn't call the cops. And I couldn't tell her that, because she couldn't know about Jay.

"Oh that, no, it's nothing. I was opening a jar and I couldn't get the lid off. I was putting so much force into it that when it did open my hand flew back and hit me."

"Is that what you needed to talk about? You being a cluts?"

"No. It's about Ian."

"What about him?"

"Pinky promise it's just between me and you?" I stuck out my pinky and she interlocked her's with mine.

"Pinky promise."

"Okay, well, he showed up at my work and we went out to eat. But he ended up getting really drunk."

"Oh my gosh, you didn't sleep with him did you?!"

"No!! You know better than that."

"Just making sure."

"He tried though. It pissed him off that I wouldn't. So, it's safe to say we're not going to move forward in the relationship."

"Oh. Sammy, I'm sorry girl. I know you liked him a lot."

"It's okay. Just, if Rose or Jolene ask, just tell them we just didn't connect like I originally thought."

Rose and Jolene were also two of my best friends. Normally, I would tell them and Lacey everything. But I figured the less people who knew about Ian and I ending things, the better. They knew me and him were a thing, but didn't know the extent like Lacey. I knew she would be asking questions harder to answer so I had to explain more to her than to them.

A few minutes later, Rose and Jolene pulled in and we went into the restaurant and got a table. We sat and talked and ate and eventually the subject of Ian was brought up.

"So tell us about Ian. How are things progressing?" Rose asked

"Eh, I think I'm going to cut things off. He's just my type."

"Not your type? He's hot. If that's not your type, what is?" Jolene asked jokingly. I shot a quick glance towards Lacey.

"You mean y'all just didn't connect?" I knew she had my back.

"Exactly!" That ended the conversation when Jolene and Rose ran out if things to quiz me on. We continued though to share a couple laughs and crazy stories from Jolene about her crush at work.

With the conversation and our meal drawing to a close, we parted ways after an hour of small talk. We all hugged and said we'd text each other later. When Rose and Jolene drove off, I gave Lacey a "thank you" nod and she winked back to say "you're welcome". With that, we both got in our cars and drove away.

Image

In Elliott Springs, it was hard to avoid dreaded trips to Walmart. I tried to refrain from shopping there at all costs, but there were times I just had to make the journey. After I left the restaurant, I drove down the highway and soon pulled into the shopping center. Everyone in Elliott Springs shopped here, so if you weren't here early, you didn't get a good parking place. After putting my car into park in one of the farthest rows, I walked in. After 30 minutes or so of shopping, something caught my eye. I glanced quickly to my right and I seen Ian. I felt my heart race a little faster and I stood for a moment watching him before I walked to the next isle. I didn't think he had seen me, and I made sure to get as far away as I could. I still had a few things on my list, but thankfully most of the items were located on the other side of the store.

No matter where I went in the store or what isle I was in, Ian seemed to show up. I didn't realize he had seen me until he stood completely still, and locked eyes with me. I was scared and walked at a faster pace to the check out line. After paying, I felt uneasy about walking out to my car. But after surveying around me for a moment, I felt a little more easy. I pushed the shopping cart down the rows of cars and opened my trunk. As I finished loading the groceries into the car, I turned to return the cart to the buggy stall. When I turned around, Ian was standing right in m face. I gasped and stepped back.

"Hello Samantha. How are you?" He asked me in an evil and sly tone.

"What do you want Ian?"

"You see this?" He rolled up his shirt sleeve and revealed many scratches and bruises. He unbuttoned his shirt and showed me his neck, which also was black and blue.

"Your freak of a boyfriend did this to me. What the hell was that Sam?"

"I don't know."

"Don't lie to me!" He started yelling, "you better watch it Samantha. I'm not done with you yet."

As he threatened me, I seem him glance over my shoulder. His eyes got wide and he quickly turned and walked off without another word. After making sure he was far enough away, I revolved around to see what Ian had. I noticed Jay off in the distance, getting into a SUV and driving off. A sense of bravery washed over me and with no caution at all, I jumped into my car and followed him.

Image

I stayed a couple car lengths behind Jay's SUV, but always close enough that I wouldn't lose him. If he was still following me, I wanted to know why and I where he was going. He drove to the outskirts of town into the more rural area. I followed him up a dirt path past a set of trees. I stopped my car so he wouldn't notice me. He continued to drive up to a gate and park the vehicle. He opened the fence and went through. After he was out if my sight, I got out my car and walked up the rest of the path. The gate was locked, as I had assumed it would be. I then took a risk and climbed over it. I the stood in front of a huge building. It appeared to be an old warehouse or school of some sort. There were "no trespassing" and "private property" signs posted all around. I went to to the door which appears to be metal, and knocked. No one answered. I continued to knock a little harder, and soon a man answered the door.

"What do you want?" He asked rudely.

"Uhm, is Jay here?"

"There isn't a Jay here." He started to shut the door on me, but I pushed my arm out and stopped him.

"I know he's here. I just need to talk to him."

"Look, lady, you need to get off my property. Didn't you see the signs?! There isn't a Jay that lives here." As he said that, I heard a voice from inside speak out.

"Leo. It's okay. Let her in." I then seen Jay step into the door frame. He nodded at the man I then know was named Leo. Leo looked at me and rolled his eyes in disapproval before walking off.

"You shouldn't have came here." Jay said as he ushered me inside. The room didn't look much like a home at all. Not many personal items were around and no windows were open.

"I just had to see where you live. You've been following me again."

"You still shouldn't be here. I was protecting you from Ian."

"What did you do to him? Those bruises and scratches he has are bad. What happened that night?"

"You ask too many questions."

"Do you blame me?" He didn't respond right away, and looked down.

"Look, you have to go." He placed his hand on my back and urged me to the door.

"But I need answers."

"Samantha. You have to leave. We'll talk later."

"How do I know I can trust that?" He looked into my eyes and I felt my cheeks turn red.

"I promise. We'll talk one day and I'll explain. But not here."

"Where? When?" I asked.

"I'll let you know. It has to be on my terms. I'll be in touch." He then opened the door for me as I stepped outside. With one final glance into my eyes, he said with a genuine tone, "I promise."