Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: Fight and Family

A knock on our big metal door came in the middle of one cool Autumn afternoon. I knew by the second heart beat I felt that it was Samantha. I paused the video game that Leo and I had been engulfed in for an hour to answer it. I opened the door to see Samantha, seemingly nervous.
“Hey, what’s up?” I asked her.

“I need to ask you something,” she stated without cracking a smile. I felt the dread grow within myself and her. I ushered her in and glanced at Leo, asking for privacy.

“Got it,” he said, giving a thumbs up and exiting to his own bedroom.

I sat down on the couch and motioned for Samantha to join me.

“What’s going on, Samantha? You seem shaken up.”

“Jay, what happened to Ian the night he broke into my apartment?”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s missing. My dad called me and said that no one has seen him.”

“I don’t know what to say. I mean, isn’t a good thing he’s gone?” I asked.

“Jay, what did you do?!” Samantha jumped up from the couch and glared at me with fiery eyes. I stood up too and shook my head.

“I didn’t do anything.” My voice was louder than I had anticipated and it caused Samantha to take a step back.

“If you know where he is, Jay, you have to tell the police.”

“What makes you think I know where he is?” I felt anger rage up in me. Being accused of things was a huge trigger to my temper. I swallowed hard, unclenched my tight fist, and breathed deep.

“I didn’t do anything to him besides get him out of your apartment,” I said.

“But he’s missing! We could get in huge trouble Jay.”

“I didn’t do anything to him. Nothing major, anyway.”

“Tell me everything Jay. Did you hit him? Did you kill him?” Kill him. Those two words played on loop in my head as I stood staring back at my accuser.

“What?!” I yelled. “I didn’t kill Ian, Samantha. I didn’t kill anyone and if anything I stopped someone from being killed: you! I came in through the balcony, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground. I picked him up, carried him outside and yeah, I hit him. I hit him a lot. And you know what? I probably scratched him up, because if you haven’t noticed I tend to turn into quite the animal when I’m pissed. But I didn’t kill him. He was alive and well when I left him. He got up and left in his car. Was he bloody? Yeah. Did he probably wake up with a headache? Yeah. He probably had a couple broken ribs. But he wasn’t near death.” Every word was spoken in almost one long breath. Samantha stood in silence, like she was in shock, as I calmed down.

“I’m sorry. I--” She dropped her head, unable to finish her sentence. She turned and walked towards
the door. I went after her and pushed the door shut as she turned the knob. I had never directed my anger towards her, and the thought that I had just yelled at her made me sick to my stomach.

“Samantha, I am so sorry. I do not know what happened just now. I promise you that I do not know where Ian is. I don’t. I’m so sorry I got mad. I just thought you should know me better than that. You should trust me. But I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you. I know you’re just scared.”

“I’m sorry I accused you. I know you wouldn’t hurt anyone unless it was needed.” I still felt sick, and rubbed my face with my hands, keeping it hidden for a moment. Samantha reached up and pulled my hands back down to my sides. She smiled the smile that could always bring me back to happiness. She started laughing a genuine laugh as she pulled me in to her. She wrapped her arms around my waist and I embraced her in mine. I found myself laughing along with her, but for a reason I did not know.

“What’s so funny?” I asked between chuckles.

“It’s not funny at all, but I think we just had our first fight.” She looked up at me and smiled again.

“Our first fight and first make up in 5 minutes.” We both began cackling. I pulled away from our hug and looked in her eyes.

“I am so sorry.” I apologized again.

“I forgive you, if you forgive me.”

“Deal.” I stared at her for a moment and then took a step closer. She breathed in and met my advance with moving forward as well. I leaned in, placing one hand on her waist. As I moved closer, Leo came out of his bedroom.

“Sorry to interrupt but I was getting hungry. Jay, do we have…” I jerked away from Samantha as she moved closer to the door behind her.

“Oh, my bad, my bad.” Leo said as he shut the refrigerator door.

“No it’s okay. I was just leaving. It was good to see you, Leo. Bye Jay.” She smiled and went out the door, clearly embarrassed.

“Dude, that was totally my bad.” I picked up a pillow from the couch and threw it at Leo’s head. I had to laugh a little at the situation as a whole.

“It’s fine, man. It’ll happen one day.”

“Whoa. Wait a minute. You two haven’t even kissed yet?” I felt my face gain a red tint as I shook my head no.

“What?! Dude, I bet she’s waiting on you to lay one on her!”

“If people would stop interrupting, I would.”

“Oh come on, no. You’ve been alone with her how many times and you haven’t made a move yet?”

“It’ll happen when it happens, I guess.” Leo threw the pillow back at me, missing by a good two feet.

“Let’s finish this game so I can kick your ass at it.”

Image

The air was chilled and the sun was slowly setting as I climbed up to Samantha’s balcony. Using the front door was something I never did, and as I stood shivering, I wondered why. I knocked on the balcony door and heard Samantha call out from inside.

“Hold on a sec.” It was still fall, but a system had moved in bringing flurries and a falling temperatures. I shielded the pink rose I held in my hand to prevent the wind from bending its green stem.

“Hurry. It’s cold.”

“I’m changing clothes! I’m about done.” She yelled from inside the warm bedroom. She finally opened
the door and smiled as I held out the rose for her to take.

“Awh, Jay, how sweet.”

“If it’s got ice sickles on it, it’s your fault.” I joked.

“Oh, come in and warm up! I’m sorry.” I entered her bedroom and was instantly greeted with a burst of warm air that felt amazing. I hadn’t been in Samantha’s apartment many times, and the last time was the night Ian had attacked her.

“What’s the rose for?” She asked, bringing it to her nose to smell.

“Just because.” I smiled and she smiled back. “I also need to tell you something.”

“Oh okay. Sit down.” I took a seat next to her on her light aqua bedspread.

“The other day, I told you that you should trust me. Well, there’s something about me I want to share with you.”

“Of course, you can tell me anything.”

“Well, growing up, the McKenzies had talked a lot about my mother. They didn’t know much about her, but in the later years they would taunt and talk bad about her. I had always held on to her name, hoping one day I might be able to find her. Later on, after public records and Google came to the internet, I did find her. That why when Leo and I left New York, we came here.” Samantha’s eyes were wide with curiosity and I could tell she was listening close.

“So, your mom is here? In Elliott Springs?”

“Yeah. I have her address, but I just haven’t had the courage to go meet her. I was hoping you would go with me one day? If you’re not comfortable with that, it’s totally fine.” She reached out and took my hand.

“Of course I’ll go with you. I’ll do whatever I can to help. Where does she live?”

“Thank you. It’s on Union Avenue. I’m not really sure where that is.” I didn’t get out of the house often, so I wasn’t familiar with all the roads in town.

“Oh! I know where that is. My aunt used to live on the next street over.”

“Okay good, so we won’t get lost.” I laughed.

“Hmm, when do you want to go?” She pulled out her phone and looked at her calendar.

“Uhm, I don’t know.”

“I’m off school for fall break next week. We could go on Tuesday after I get off work. I work the early shift so we could go in the afternoon.” Samantha’s eagerness shocked me, but I was grateful to have her join me in such a big step.

“Okay, Tuesday it is. I’ll pick you up here after you get home.”

“Oh, like in a car?” She teased. I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Yeah, and if you’re lucky, I’ll even use the door.”

“Haha, alright. I get off at 2:00 so how about you come over at 3:30? That’ll give me time to get home and get changed.”

“Sounds good.” I stood up and headed back to the balcony door. “I’ll see you then, Samantha.”

“Bye, Jay.”

Image

My heart was racing, almost jumping out of my chest as we pulled up to the small white house on Union Avenue. It looked run down, with the paint chipping and the roof shingles peeling back in spots. I parked the car at the road, turning off the ignition and breathing deep.

“You ready?” Samantha asked.

“Ready as I’ve ever been. It’s kinda scary, ya know?” I rubbed my sweaty palms on my jeans, and unbuckled my seat belt.

“I’m here, Jay.” I nodded to show her that I knew she was there to support me. We both stepped out the car and headed up the stone pathway that led to the little white house. As we approached the door, Samantha took my hand and squeezed it. I didn’t let go, and I softened my eyes to give a silent thank you. I swallowed hard, and rang the doorbell. I could hear it echo from inside and heard someone walking to the door. A woman in her 40’s opened the door. Although she would have been around 42, the time had added a few more years to her face. She was thin, with brown hair pulled back into a bun. She was wearing what appeared to be her pajamas. She looked curiously at Samantha and I as she addressed us.

“Yes? Can I help you?” It was the first time I had ever heard her voice.

“Are you Julia Hite?”

“Yes I am.” I felt my nerves take over and my pulse quicken even more. Samantha squeezed my hand and pulled me back in.

“I’m your son.” This thin, aging woman turned white as a ghost, her mouth falling open as her eyes widened.

“Jason.” She spoke just one word. I nodded.

“Hello, mom.”