Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: The Storm

Life had always been complicated for me. Samantha made things make a little more sense, though. To have her back to hold, to confide to, and to just be with was the best feeling ever. Unfortunately, there still hung a dark cloud in the sky over us. Ian's murder hadn't been solved yet and I was convinced that the McKenzie's were behind it in some way.

There also stood the question of how to tell Samantha that Kara and Katrina were related. Her brother's death was such a sore subject, as was my own brother's death with me, and I didn't know how she would react. I knew I had to just sit down and explain it to her.

I went over to her apartment one Sunday night. Samantha often times went to church service on Sunday evenings when she wasn't working. That particular night she had stayed home. I knocked on the balcony door as a fierce wind whipped against my back. The lock clicked from inside and she opened the door.

"Hey, come on in, it's cold," she greeted me with a side hug.

"You look lovely, tonight, Samantha." She was by no means dressed up, but she still looked incredibly attractive. Her hair was tied back with a few loose strands hanging down.

"Pshh," she scoffed, "thank you but no." She chuckled and offered me a seat.

"I came over to just see you and make sure we really were okay. I think there's still a lot we need to talk about."

I don't know if it was the time we spent apart, or just an urge that Samantha had. But without replying in words, she walked over to where I sat and before I could blink she was sitting in my lap. She grabbed my face and stroked my cheek.

"Jay Reese, we are more than okay," she pressed her lips against mine and I wrapped my hands around her waist.

I always loved the way she spoke my name; it always sent chills down my entire body. She pulled away and smiled as she looked into my eyes that I knew were now void of color.

"Well, I'm so glad. But we do need to still talk."

"You're right," she stood up and sat down on the bed, "go ahead."

"Well first, do you have any information on Ian's murder or where the police might be looking?" With Samantha's dad being a detective on the case, I knew she might have something useful.

"Not really. I've heard some talk at school but I think it's all just rumors. They're still looking into what sort of weapon could have been used."

"Leo and I are rather certain it was the McKenzies or someone working for them." The thought itself was terrifying to me.

"Why though? Why would they pick Ian?"

"They're playing with me. With us. It's a message. They want me to know they're here, know they're watching, and know what they can do."

"What if they come after us?" I knew Samantha was scared. But it wouldn't make it any better if I lied to her. So, I was very blunt.

"It's not a matter of if. The question is when. But don't worry. I'm going to do everything in my power to protect you."

"I know," she reached out and grabbed my hand. I smiled and looked down.

"Samantha, there's something else we need to discuss. I'm not sure how to start."

"What's wrong?" She furrowed her brow and placed her hand on my chin, bringing my eyes to meet hers.

"I made a discovery, sort of. But I'm not sure what it means. Kara, the girl in New York...," I stammered out, "is Katrina's sister. I'm pretty certain of it"

Samantha didn't say anything right away; she just simply sat and stared out into space.

"Sisters?"

"Yeah. Kara would always talk about having a sister named Katrina who lived down south. When I saw the photo of your brother and Katrina, the resemblance was undeniable."

Samantha rubbed her eyes in her palms and quickly jerked up to look at me.

"That's why I thought Kara looked familiar when I saw the photo of you and her!"

Neither of us knew what any of it meant. Coincidences never were a good enough explanation for me; I always believed there were reasons behind everything.

"It must run in their genes to be evil. It's something we should look into. See if we can find a deeper connection between you, me, them, and Sawyer."

"You're right. Where do we even start?"

"Let Leo and I handle it. I don't want you getting into something and putting yourself in danger. With the McKenzies watching, who knows what might happen if you start digging."

I wasn't sure what, but I felt that something major was going to happen. In a week, a month, or a day, I didn't know. But I knew a storm was brewing somewhere in the distance and the McKenzies were at the eye of it.

Samantha said she wanted to change the subject. I couldn't really blame her.

"So, I know it's kind of short notice. But would you want to come to Thanksgiving dinner at my parents place?" My eyes widened.

"Samantha, I don't think..."

"Hear me out. We always eat early in the afternoon so you wouldn't have to worry about changing. And I doubt anything major is gonna happen to cause you to rage."

It sounded insane! But it also sounded very appealing.

"Leo's going to kick my ass," I chuckled as I looked down. I didn't curse often, but the moment seemed appropriate.

"Does that mean you'll come?"

"I mean, I'd like to, Samantha, I really would."

She cocked up one side of her crooked smile and stood up. Samantha walked over to me, leaned in slowly and started kissing me. Her lips found my jawline and then my neck. Pulling away for a moment, she whispered in my ear.

"Please?"

My head began to spin and I reached out and grabbed her waist, probably more aggressively than usual. I pulled her down into my lap and leaned her back. I took one look into her eyes before pressing my lips to hers, kissing her with such passion.

"Fine. I'll go. But only because you seduced me," I joked.

"Oh okay. That's why," Samantha laughed.

"You're gonna have to help me, though. I have no idea how to act or dress. I mean, it's your parents."

"I'll call my mom tonight, I'll tell her I'm bringing a friend."

"What if they don't want me there? I mean, just springing it on them might be a disaster."

Samantha reached over to her night stand and grabbed her phone. Putting her finger to her lips, she indicated for me to be quiet. She dialed a number, and placed it on speaker phone.

"Hey Sammy. How are you, angel?" Samantha's mother sounded kind and reminded me of Samantha herself.

"I'm good, mama. Hey, I want to talk to you about something. When I come up for Thanksgiving, is it okay if I bring someone?"

"Oh. Like, a boy...or?"

"Yeah. Is that okay?"

"Of course, dear. But Sammy, I didn't know you were seeing anyone. Who is he?"

Samantha glanced at me, blushing.

"Uh, his name's Jay. I just wanted to make sure it was okay."

"Yeah, it's fine, sweetie. But I want to know more about him."

"I'll call you later and we'll talk, okay?"

"Alright. Love you, Sammy.

"Love you too, mama."

Samantha turned the phone off, and looked at me. I knew that for the next few days, my biggest worry would be impressing my girlfriend's parents. That, was more terrifying than anything.

"See? Everything's going to be perfect," Samantha kissed my cheek and smiled.

I hoped things did turn out perfect. I knew if they didn't, an even bigger storm would hit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelys! Weigh in and let me know what you think! How do you think Thanksgiving dinner is going to go? How do you feel about the McKenzies getting closer?