Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: Overnight

A blizzard was slowly approaching Elliot Springs. The weatherman predicted heavy snow showers, harsh wind, and warned of black ice.

"Leo, is the back up generator running well?" I asked.

"Yeah it's good. I stocked up on food, too. We're set for a couple days."

A lot of people would call Leo and I paranoid. It wouldn't be a lie. We prepares and then prepared again. It had always been that way; an autopilot way of living.

So, Leo and I both were shocked when a hitch in the plan came up. We had just begun a game of Grand Theft Auto when I felt a sharp pain in my chest. My heart began to race and a sense of fear washed over me.

"Dude, you alright?" Leo put his controller down and put his hand on my shoulder.

"I think it's Samantha," I stood up and walked to the door. Grabbing my coat from the rack near the entry way, I told Leo I would be back.

"Where are you going? Jay? What's happening?"

"I don't know. I can feel...something. Something's wrong."

"Be careful," Leo said simply.

Image

I found them on the side of the road, trying to hold their phones up to the dark wintry sky to get service. Samantha had been breathing in the bitter cold air, causing both of our lungs to sting with pain. Something inside of me led me to them -- internal directions to find her.

Lacey was in a panic and on the verge of tears when I pulled up behind their broken down car.

"Samantha!" I yelled over the howling wind.

The blizzard had hit.

"Jay?"

"Are you guys okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. We're fine. Lacey's car died and we don't have service to call 911 or anything. How did you find us?!"

"I just...knew." I told her, "What are you guys doing out here?"

They were not far from my house, on a back road covered in ice and snow.

"We were going to my place but the highway is backed up from a wreck. We thought taking the back way would be quicker."

"Well, there's no way you can make it home in this storm," I said. And I knew even my four wheel drive SUV wouldn't stand a chance against the high wind gusts and blinding snow.

"Get in," I told them both. "You can stay with Leo and I."

Samantha's eyes widened with confusion and she shot me a quick questioning glance.

"Dude, you ain't gotta do that," Lacey spoke up.

"Get in, and we'll talk about it where it's warm."

I opened both the doors for the girls and they happily got in.

"So," Lacey said. "You just 'knew' where we were?"

"Pretty much," I glanced at Samantha who was sitting in the passenger seat beside me.

"If you can get her car started we can drive to my house."

"No," I shifted the SUV into reverse and turned around to head in the direction of my house. I couldn't let them try to make it home in the storm.

We pulled into the driveway and I glanced at Lacey in the rear view mirror. Her brow was furrowed and she gazed suspiciously out the window.

"You live here ?"

"Yes," I parked the car and helped both of them out of the car.

I entered the house first, calling out to Leo.

"Leo. We have company."

He came walking from the kitchen, holding a can of soda.

"Hey Sam. How are --" he stopped short when Lacey entered behind Samantha.

"Leo, this is my best friend, Lacey," Samantha said.

Leo looked at me with sharp eyes and I knew the minute we were alone he would give me a lecture.

"They were stranded in the storm and couldn't make it home," I answered a question be didn't ask.

"Oh. Okay," He walked to where Lacey stood and reached his hand out to her. "I'm Leo."

"Oh my god, you're that professor! You work in the science department!" We could all see the wheels turning in Lacey's head, putting things together.

"Make yourself at home," I told the girls. "Leo and I will be right back."

I motioned for him to follow me into my bedroom. I shut the door behind me as Leo pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I know this is a little risky but I couldn't just let them try to get home," I justified my actions.

"I understand that. And I don't mind Sam being here. But her friend??"

"I couldn't just leave her!"

"Ugh," Leo sighed.

"One night."

"Fine. But be cautious."

"I will."

Image

The wind howled and whistled outside. Snow was piling up quickly. Samantha and I made dinner as Leo and Lacey tried to get used to each other. Their personalities were vastly different; almost radical opposites. Leo's reserved and serious nature was nothing like Lacey's playful and vibrant one.

"Thank you for letting us stay here," Samantha said.

"You're welcome," I leaned in and kissed her forehead as she continued to chop a green pepper.

"Lacey does like you, you know?"

"Really? Good."

"I think she likes Leo, too," she said as he raised her eyebrow.

"Oh. You mean like...?"

"Look," she pointed towards the living room where the two of them sat.

Leo was laughing as Lacey told a story with various hand gestures and excitement.

"He doesn't seem to mind her, either," I said.

It was strange to see Leo letting go for once. He didn't seem concerned with my condition for once; it was almost as if he momentarily forgot that we weren't normal.

We ate sausage and pepper pasta as we watched reruns of Family Feud. All four of us shouted answers as we chowed down and sipped sodas. The night turned out better than any of us had expected.

"You're welcome to take showers. I can offer you and old tshirt and sweat pants," I spoke up.

Lacey pointed to the bag she had brought from her car.

"I always carry a change if clothes with me!" She said proudly.

"Well I'll have to take up your offer of the tshirt," Samantha laughed.

"Okay, that's fine! You and Lacey can take my bed, I'll sleep on the couch."

Lacey smirked as she looked at Samantha.

"That's alright. I can take the couch," she said, winking, causing Samantha's face to burn red.

I didn't protest.

Image

Leo was in his room, Lacey was passed out on the couch, and I was lying on my bed. Samantha stepped out of my bathroom sporting a baseball style shirt and and sweat pants -- both from my closet.

Her hair was pinned up in a messy bun, with loose strands hanging down. She didn't notice me staring.

"Wow," I said out loud, meaning for the word to stay trapped inside.

"What?" She looked at me suspiciously.

"I think you should take that outfit home with you. Looks way better on you than it ever did on me."

She chuckled and blushed as she sat down beside me on the bed.

"You tired?" She asked, running her hand through my hair. It sent goosebumps down my neck and arms.

"Halfway. Are you?"

"Sort of," she yawned, answering the question on her own.

I pulled the covers back and slide under the cool sheets. Samantha followed suit and I moved her in close to me. On my back, I pulled her in so her head rested in my chest. She sleepily whispered goodnight and was soon fast asleep. I watched her chest rise and fall and listened to her steady breathing. Smiling at the sight of her, I finally drifted off to sleep.