Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Samantha: Suspicious Minds

I went home and flipped open my laptop. I figured if I couldn't find the answers I needed, Google would have them. I had two questions I needed answered: 1) Some Calculus II formula I needed looked up for a test and 2) what or who had I seen tonight?

I started on question 2 first. I assumed that if I had seen this man-creature, so had someone else. There are always supernatural sites dedicated to strange encounters, so surely my mystery man had been spotted before. Unfortunately, the only thing I could find was big foot, and since I highly doubted I had spotted a Sasquatch, I moved on to another site. Most websites suggested I had encountered a vampire due to the eye coloring. Since I never believed in vampires, and since this man didn't try to suck my blood, I crossed that one off too.

I knew they made contacts that changed eye color. A lot of the goth kids at school would wear the white out ones. But I could tell this guy wasn’t wearing contacts. There was something deep inside those eyes that told me they were naturally that way. As my Google searches came up nothing but vampires and big foot, I moved on to question 1. We had to look up and explain the formula of integration by parts, and then be tested over what we found. Easy enough I suppose.

Walking into history class at the university I attend is probably the most painful thing I do all day. The professor is an 80 year old crank who's living on probably one lung. Because I am the queen of procrastination, I didn't schedule my classes until late into the summer of last year. Therefore, all the US history classes were full, and I'm now stuck in ancient civilization history. Which trust me, is as bad as it sounds.

For two hours, I listened to this old man ramble on and explain something about ancient sacrifices and what-not. When the class was over, I walked out with my spiral binder with one page of notes and one page of theories of my mystery man. It was ridiculous the amount of time I was spending thinking about him. But to be honest, I was a tad scared. What if this thing or this person was following me?
I didn't have much more time to ponder it, when my best friend called out my name.

"Sammy! Hey wait. I have something juicy to tell ya!"

Lacey had been my best friend throughout most of middle school and high school. We were very close, and told each other everything. Except this time, I didn't even dare tell her about what happened. I didn't want her to make a big deal about it until I was sure what happened.

"Juicy you say?"

"Yep! Miranda's having a party this weekend. Guess who's going to be there?!" I could tell her tone was one of excitement because of whatever information she was fixing to tell me. I didn't answer, but simply arched my eyebrow to indicate I was interested.

"Ian!"

"So?" I asked in confusion. Why was that so interesting?

"Aren't you going to ask how I know this?"

"Uhm, did he tell you he was going?" At this point, I was extra confused.

"Yes! I was walking out of the library, and he stopped me. And he asked if I heard about Miranda's party, and I said yeah. He then asked if YOU were going and when I said you were, he smirked a little and said 'good' "

"You already told him I'm going?" I asked.

"Well duh! Girl, he's digging on you! Ian is like, super hunk material. Of course you're going!! And you're going to get his number and you're going to text him and then make him your man!"
I laughed, rolled my eyes, and told Lacey that she was insane, although we both knew it. As we continued across campus, I figured it wouldn't hurt to go to this party. Ian was extremely attractive, and although I didn't know him too well, I figured I could give it a shot.

Lacey and I parted ways as she went to comp and I went to biology. We agreed to meet up in the parking lot after class. As I entered the science building I felt that strange feeling again from the night at the game. I could have sworn someone was behind me, and I turned to see who it was. The only person I seen was Ian, talking to his friends about 10 yards away. It felt like someone was a lot closer though, and I knew it was a fact now: I was being followed.