Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Samantha: Critical

Jay and I walked back into his house where Alice and Leo awaited us. I would be lying if I said she didn’t make me uncomfortable. It all seemed so strange that after twelve years she would show back up, casually, as if she and Jay’s past wasn’t dark and marred with tragedy. It was plain to see that she was attracted to him; as anyone should be because Jay Reece was more than handsome. I wondered if I had anything to worry about and if a part of Jay wanted Alice. He had never once given me reason to believe he did not love me, but I still couldn’t help but feel threatened. Alice was petite, but still taller than myself. Her hair was the lightest shade of blonde you could get without being considered “bleach blonde.” Cut in a long bob, it framed her face perfectly.

As we entered the apartment, Alice stood up from the couch she was seated on and smiled. Leo had a look of irritation spread across his face. It had taken months for Leo to warm up to the fact that Jay and I were a serious thing, and even longer to accept the fact that I knew where they lived. I knew that on the inside he was cursing and worrying about this new stranger being in his home.

“Oh, goodie! You decided not to leave?” Alice asked me. I didn’t know whether she was being genuinely friendly or if the kindness was all fake.

“Yeah,” I couldn’t think of a better response.

“Well good!”

“Why are you here, Alice?” Jay asked. I was surprised at how blunt he was.

“Well,” she started, “basically just because I found you. I’ve been looking for years and I had to see that you were doing okay.”

Leo furrowed his brow and breathed in deep, as if trying to fight back bitter words. I knew he wasn’t buying anything Alice was saying, and neither was I.

“How did you know I was even alive? I mean, I’ve spent all these years thinking I was the only one who survived.”

“I just sort of figured it out. Your brother tried to save some more of us but obviously didn’t make it. I noticed you weren’t with him so I figured you had gotten away.”

I saw the way Alice’s words stung Jay. She spoke of Jeremy and his death as though it was just another casual topic of conversation. The last time Jay had seen his brother was when he climbed out the window and ran for his life. He knew nothing about what happened afterwards or the details of how Jeremy died. Looking at his face, I could see Jay was hurting from envisioning his brother.

“I still don’t understand how you survived all this time. I mean, you were younger than I was when it happened so I can’t imagine you out fending for yourself,” Jay’s face contorted into a look of confusion.

“I managed to get away and eventually found a couple that took care of me,” Alice shrugged her shoulders.

“Where?” Jay was getting frustrated at her lack of detail.

“I went to a little town in Colorado. Enough about me, though! Tell me all about what you’ve been up to,” she spoke as though they were old high school friends catching up a reunion.

I trusted Jay enough that I didn’t need to listen to every word they spoke to each other so I walked over to Leo. Without a word, he motioned for me to follow him down the hallway. We walked into his bedroom – a room I had never even seen before – and he shut the door. Rarely had Leo and I spent much time together, and especially not alone. It wasn’t that I didn’t like him, or that I felt uncomfortable around him, it was just that he was a very private man.

“Okay. So, obviously something is going on with that chick,” he said.

“I was afraid it was just be being a jealous girlfriend,” I laughed, but without any real humor.

“No, it’s not just you. I don’t trust her. And I don’t mean in the way I didn’t trust you at first – no offense – but you get what I’m saying,” he said.

I knew exactly what he meant. When I first came into the picture, Leo was hesitate to trust me. He was cautious, as he should have been, but deep down I think he knew I never posed any real threat. Alice, on the other hand, had an aura about her that screamed deception. Leo may have been reluctant towards me, but never once did he feel creeped out by me.

“I just don’t understand,” I said.

“Me neither. And her answered are so vague and evasive.”

“I know, it doesn’t add up.”

There were so many things that created mine and Leo’s skepticisms and we agreed that even if Jay did trust Alice, we were not going to. We were still gossiping like two teenage girls in high school when we heard Jay call out. Rushing into the living room, Jay stood in front of the tv. His face was pale white, and frozen in an expression of horror.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, walking over to him. I looked at the television and read the words on the screen.

Mother and son in critical condition after accident.

“Jay, what?” Leo asked.

“The television was on but I couldn’t really hear it. But, a photo came up on the news and I just happen to see it out of the corner of my eye. And – “ he was talking fast, almost to the point of rambling. Alice stood behind us, looking just as confused as Leo and I.

Then, I saw the face that made the color drain from Jay’s. The newscaster spoke as the shot changed to a reporter standing out on a highway.

Today, a mother and her young son were involved in a one car accident here on highway 209. The car appears to have spun out of control and then proceeded to hit a light pole. Upon impact, the car burst into flame. Both victims, identified as Julia Hite and her minor son, are in critical condition.

The scene behind the reporter made my blood run cold; it was the exact way that Rose had died. I looked up at Jay and he reached out and grabbed my hand.

“I have to go to the hospital.” I wanted to ask him if he thought it was safe but I knew I wouldn’t be able to reason with him.

“I’ll go with you,” I said. Leo said he’d stay behind; Alice asked questions as to what was happening and who it was that was hurt, but none of us cared enough to answer her.

Jay and I got into the SUV and he drove towards the hospital. He was silent at first, and I could see the worry in his eyes.

“It’s going to be okay. They’ll be okay,” I hoped I was telling the truth.

“They have to be, right?” he asked, sounding almost child like. I reached over and placed my hand on his knee. He gave a weak smile to tell me he understood that I was there for him.

“Jay, that wreck was just like Rose’s. That can’t be a coincidence, can it?” His jaw tightened.

“Samantha, I think there’s something you should know.”

“Okay?”

“First, call Leo for me,” his tone was serious. “Tell him to get out of the house, now."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate to keep apologizing for the amount of times it takes me to update. I've been slacking recently, but mainly because I just haven't felt motivated to write. Writers block is terrible! So I am so sorry! To repay you, I'll comment on anything you want me to! Leave a comment with a story you want me to read and I'll go do it and leave feedback on it!

Speaking of comments, if you liked this chapter (or didn't) comment and let me know! Tell me what you think of the direction it's taking and what you want to see next!

Thanks so much for sticking with me. Stay lovely!