Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: Suspicious Minds

"Where were you last night?" Leo marched into my room and stood over my bed.

"I went out." I answered him honestly.

"Out?! You went OUT? Are you insane?"

"It's fine, Leo"

Leo was more than a little paranoid about me leaving the house. The place where we lived was an old abandoned building that used to be an old school of sorts. Leo bought it when me and him met and turned it into our own hide away.

"No it's not fine. Someone could have seen you." I suppose he could tell the way I didn't respond quick enough was an indication of something being wrong.

"Jay. Please say someone didn't see you?!"

"She didn't really see me. Just a glimpse. It's fine though. It was too dark."

"Dark?! You know what happens when it gets dark! We've discussed this Jay! You're not supposed to go out at night and if you do, you stay hidden!"

"I know, Leo. It'll be okay. Don't sweat it." Leo looked at me with his mouth half open. We stared at each other for a moment until he huffed and walked off. Leo was quite the worry wart. Although Leo was quite intelligent, I think his smart’s got the best of him. He was always on edge, and always complaining about something. After years of having him as my friend though, I got used to it.

I was thinking of Samantha all night. I knew that was her name because of the cutesy little stickers on her back window on her car. Not real smart if you don't want people to know your name. If I was able to have a car, I know I wouldn't be putting my name in stickers on it. But I guess that's where I and ordinary humans were different. They didn't have to hide; I did.

Her eyes were the deepest color of blue I had seen. They put the east coast ocean to shame. The skies on a clear afternoon couldn't touch the shade that I seen. I only saw them, and her, for a minute, but her eyes were so captivating. I can only imagine what she seen in mine; probably cold and distant. Eyes of a creature that scared her. Her's radiated warmth and life. Mine probably gave the message to run. To escape from whatever this thing is that I am. But for some reason, she didn't run. She stared back into my eyes. And I had a mission to find out what she had seen in them that night.

"Leo, I'm leaving. I’ll be back."

"It'll be dark in a few hours! Be back before sunset."

"I'll try"