Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Samantha: Warming Up

I heard Lacey's car pull into my driveway as I was putting the finishing touches of my makeup on. It was Friday night, the first one I didn't have to work in a long time.

"Knock knock" I heard Lacey say as she walked in my apartment. It was just a given that she was welcome in my home. She always just walked in, so I was used to it.

"Hey, does this look okay?" I asked Lacey in regards to my outfit.

"Oh yeah. It's cute. You getting all dolled up for Ian?" She smirked.

"I mean, I don't wanna look like a slob"

"You excited?" She asked

I couldn't hide the eagerness in my voice, when I answered yes. I had noticed Ian around campus and thought he was pretty cute. He transferred in from a town about 50 miles away to go to college here in Elliot Springs. I didn't really know anything about him, nor did I think he knew who I was. But I guess tonight was the night for all of that to change.

Image

We arrived at Miranda's party around 10pm. Most of the guests were mingling around a bonfire. I noticed that the majority of the people there were holding red cups, in which I assumed was booze.
"I thought you said there wasn't going to be any drinking?" I asked Lacey about a statement she had previously made.

"Well I didn't think there would be. But it doesn't matter. You don't have to drink just because they
are."

"Yeah I know that, but still."

Before we could press the issue any farther, Ian walked up to us.

"Hello, Sam" Ian smiled cordially at me, visibly trying to be a flirt.

I returned his greeting with a "how are you?" and a soft grin.

"I'm good. I'm glad you showed up. "He said. And to be honest, so was I.

We talked over the bonfire and took a seat on a wooden log, serving as a bench. I was nervous, and I’m sure Ian could sense it right away. I avoided eye contact for the most part of the evening, a bad habit I had when I met someone new. Ian didn’t seem to mind though, and never commented on it. We spent a couple hours talking, and getting to know each other. There were a few things I learned:
1) His middle name was Hunter
2) He was majoring in journalism
3) He was unequivocally attractive
Although all three were nice tid bits to know, my favorite was certainly number 3.

Eventually, Ian asked me to dance. The party's DJ had been playing hip hop and pop music all night. It was nice to hear something slow and some-what romantic to come over the speakers. I accepted his offer to dance, despite my inability to do so very well. I had always liked dancing, although I lacked the skills. None the less, it was very nice. We stood just close enough that it wasn't awkward. I could tell all night that he was trying to be impressive and be smooth. No matter what he was attempting, he was slowing growing on me.
After the song ended, he maintained his hold around my waist.

"That was nice" he said when he finally let go.

"Yes it was." I agreed, while looking down, again avoiding eye contact. "Thanks, I've had fun tonight.
I better be getting home. I have to work tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll text you sometime and we can go get coffee one day" I didn't say that I didn't drink coffee, but simply agreed.

"Sounds good" He leaned in for what I assumed was a hug. But instead, he kissed me on the cheek, smiled, and walked off. I stood there in my place for a moment, before Lacey came running up to me.

"Don't think I didn't see that." She smirked.

I laughed, "Come on. I gotta go to bed soon. Let’s get home."