Skyfall

Epilogue

Aerabella sat on Ross’ desk, looking over the last of the files before closing the folder. It had been six months after the murder and Liam had pleaded out of the chair in exchange for life and telling the cops every murder he committed so the families of the victims could have closure. The boys had found a new boy for their band and had continued with the tour, Niall and Zayn both promising to keep in touch with Aerabella. Niall called her at least once a week, always sending her some little gift from whatever city he was in. Aerabella pulled out her keys, running her thumb over the apple keychain from New York and smiling. She would have dated Niall, but she knew her heart would always belong to Douglas. She sighed, putting her keys back in her pocket and returning the folder to its box. She took a Sharpie off the desk and in crisp, clean letters wrote

CLOSED


“Feels good, doesn’t it?” She turned to see Ross smiling at her in the doorway.

“Yeah.” She admitted.

“Look, I know that after… well everything, you wouldn’t think of staying and joining back up with the force. But you’re a damn good detective Haddock, and we need someone like you.” He paused. “I need someone like you.” She smiled weakly, setting the box down and walking over to him.

“We both know I’d go crazy with all those rules and laws.” She joked. “Besides, I’m sick of the rain, Nevada will be a good place for me.” Ross smiled and she gave him a small hug. “If you ever need any more serial killers tracked down, you know who to call.”

“Will do.” He promised. She smiled and turned to leave when his voice stopped her. “Haddock.”

“Yeah?” He smiled again.

“Las Vegas will be a lot safer with you there.” She felt tears sting her eyes as she smiled.

“Thank you Ross.” With that she turned, going out to her car and hopping into the driver’s seat. She made her way to her apartment. The last of her boxes were being hauled into the truck that would meet her down there. She hopped out, giving last minute directions to the driver before looking back at her apartment.

She stepped inside and walked into the bedroom. It was empty now, but she could still remember the way Douglas looked at her, even now. She felt her heartstring tug painfully at the memory of his funeral. They’d opted for a closed casket, so she didn’t even really feel like she’d said a proper farewell. She pressed her lips together, turning to leave when an unfamiliar voice stopped her.

“Were you even going to say goodbye?” She spun around, whipping out her gun only to drop it to the ground. She shook her head slowly as she saw the man in front of her. His nose was long and straight, his hair a dark brown and sitting messily on the top of his head. But his dark eyes were unmistakable.

“Douglas?” She whispered. He simply smiled.

“Hello Elle.”

“I thought you were dead! I was at your funeral! I…” She stopped, he walked over.

“Stop talking.” Without another second of hesitation he crashed his lips to hers. Finally he pulled back, grinning at her.

“How?” She asked simply.

“When they took me to the hospital I lived and SOCA flew me back to Britain to give me my face back. They figured it’d be easier to tell everyone I was dead so they wouldn’t have to explain that a special agent was imitating a celebrity. It might put more of our under covers at risk.” She opened her mouth to ask who, but he simply smiled. “Sorry, that’s classified.” She chuckled.

“Fucking fed. How did you know I was still here?” He simply reached out and tapped her wrist.

“Got to keep tabs on a girl like you.” He whispered. “So, where are you going?”

“Nevada. I figured Sin City could use a good Private Investigator.”

“Well, I can’t really stay here, or go back to England.” He said, smirking.

“I have always wanted an assistant.” He rolled his eyes and extended his hand.

“How about a partner?” She smiled and shook his hand.

“Haddock and Smith, sounds like a good title to me.”

“Well you see, I was thinking Smith and Haddock.” He smiled, pressing his lips back to hers before they both went outside, jumping into her car and making their way off to a new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here comes the sap, if you don't want to read it turn back now.
I love you. Seriously, I love each and every one of you. You have no idea how much fun this was to see all your guessing and reasoning behind everything. I wanted to delete this story several times because there were some plagarism issues, but I powered through it, all because of you.
I mean, 44 reccs? 88 subscribers? You guys are straight up magical. I mean it. I want to hug each and every one of you until you can't breathe, but I can't. But just know I'm sending you all a virtual hug. I hate to say goodbye, I'm terrible at it, so I'll simply say see you soon.
And maybe Douglas and Aerabella will have a sequel about Vegas, who knows.

all my love forever and always,
xoxoxo
LS

P.S. This story is now entered in this contest!