Skyfall

Why

Douglas let out a long breath, running his hand over his short hair. He hadn’t heard a peep from Aerabella since they’d released him and it had been over twelve hours. This wasn’t like her; she’d at least harass him over, well something. That was when he started getting nervous. He couldn’t just sit here a moment longer. He knew she was angry at herself for falling for a suspect, and he was willing to forgive her, but he had no clue where she was. He shot out of the chair he’d been sitting in, making his way out of his hotel room.

He decided to check her apartment first and jogged over to the stairs, quickly making his way outside and hailing a taxi. It was raining, as it always seemed to be here, and he was soaked within moments. He quickly leapt inside the first taxi that came near, leaning forward almost into the front of the car the whole way, partially because of nerves and partially because he had to strain to remember how to get to her apartment. Finally they arrived at the street and Douglas paid the driver, plus a handsome tip for promising to keep his drive on lockdown. The last thing he needed was the press knowing that he was going to her apartment during an investigation. He refused to let her lose her job because of him. He quickly made his way up the familiar steps, his stomach tightening at the thought of their night together. Taking in a deep breath he raised his hand to knock on the door.

But it was already open.

He froze, if he hadn’t been a trained SOCA agent he might have panicked, but he let the familiar scene wash over him as he slowly opened the door, grabbing a picture frame as the first weapon he saw. He slowly made his way inside and quickly cleared the house before flipping on the light.

Her apartment was a mess. There had been an obvious struggle and the interior had been caught in the crossfire. Her bookshelf was on its side, novels spilling out onto the floor. Something caught his eyes and he walked over, picking up the same picture he’d seen the first time he’d been here, but the glass was shattered and there was a few drops of blood on the frame. His set the picture back down and quickly made his way out the door, hailing another cab and racing back to the hotel.

He had to find her, this was all his fault. He should have just stayed there; he should have protected her, something. He bit his lip, swearing that whoever did this to Aerabella was going to pay with their life. He appeared completely calm on the outside, but his eyes were black with rage as he walked through the front door, no longer caring if anyone knew about him and Aerabella. He made his way back up to the floor that the boy’s rooms were on, haunted by images her being tortured or raped. He glanced down the hallways, but he didn’t see her or hear her voice. His vision turned red, but he had to keep his emotions in check, if she was in danger he had to stay calm if he was going to save her. He went over to Niall’s room, knowing that the Irishman and the stunning detective were becoming quick friends and he might be able to help. The door swung open and a pair of blue eyes greeted Douglas as Niall looked at him sadly. The blonde then just hugged him, burying his face in the older boy’s chest.

“They took Louis.” He said, his voice muffled by fabric.

“They’ve taken Louis before-”

“But this was different.” Niall pulled away and looked up at him. “Harry tried to kill her Liam.” Douglas’ heart dropped into his stomach, knowing Niall could only be talking about Aerabella.

“What?” Niall pulled back.

“I heard Harry shouting in your room earlier and then something got knocked over. So I broke down the door and saw him sitting on top of Aerabella with his hands wrapped around her throat saying he was going to kill her! I pulled him off and then I told her about how Harry was mad she took Louis because he loves him and she ran out.” He pressed his lips together, tears stinging his brilliant eyes and blurring his vision.

“Where’s Harry?” Douglas asked. Niall shrugged.

“I don’t know, he stormed out when I pulled him off her.” Niall said. Douglas felt his blood boiling as he went over and slammed on Harry’s door, Niall right behind him. He heard muffled groans followed by a chocked out.

“Sod off!” He groaned.

“Harry open this fucking door!” Douglas roared. He heard a small female whimper and that was all it took. Douglas rammed his shoulder into the door until it gave, revealing Harry and a blonde woman with her lips wrapped around his cock. Harry’s eyes were half closed as he gripped her long blonde hair. Douglas remembered the woman from the front desk as she pulled her face away from Harry. She flushed and quickly scurried off, buttoning her shirt back up as she ran out the door. Harry groaned, pulling his jeans back on and stormed over to Niall and Douglas. His shirt was gone and he was covered in a thin layer of sweat, his eyes still dark.

“What the fuck Liam?!” He demanded, his glare shifting from to him to Niall and back again.

“Where’s Aerabella?” Douglas hissed, locking his eyes with Harry’s. Harry simply scoffed at him.

“That little slut? Probably at the bottom of the sound if we’re lucky.” Douglas grabbed Harry by his shirt and slammed him into the wall. He was done controlling his anger, if Harry had done anything to her Douglas was going to kill him.

“Where is she Harry?” He growled, lifting the curly haired boy off the ground.

“What, mad she didn’t want to shag you again?” Douglas was about to speak when a voice stopped him.

“Again?” Harry and Douglas looked over to see Niall looking at them. Harry smirked as Douglas’ face fell.

“Oh, you didn’t tell Niall about your cock’s adventures?” Harry sneered. “I think you should go into full detail, for all of us if you don’t mind.”

“Shut up Harry.” Douglas warned.

“Liam.” Niall snapped. “What is he talking about?”

“He fucked your bird mate.” Harry said. “And I bet he loved it.” Douglas looked at the ground, unable to meet Niall’s stare.

“Liam?” He stayed silent. “Liam please tell me it’s not true. You wouldn’t do that to me.” Niall didn’t understand, Liam had to know he cared about Aerabella, everyone did. Every time the beautiful older woman came into the room Niall couldn’t breathe. He knew Liam had to at least have a clue, so how could he do it? Liam had always had Niall’s back, through thick and thin. The room was silent before Harry simply started laughing.

“You can’t even tell your best mate that you stole the bird he was mad about and shagged her brains out?” He said, looking between Douglas and Niall. Finally Douglas spoke.

“Niall, there’s a lot going on here that you don’t understand-” Niall refused to let him explain himself as he lunged, taking the older boy to the ground and pulling his hand back to punch him. Douglas caught his fist, grabbing his other hand. “NIALL!” He hollered. The Irishman’s eyes were glazed with tears, one of which splashed onto Douglas’ cheek.

“You son of a bitch!” Niall cried. “I trusted you!”

“Niall stop it!” Douglas said, trying to calm him down. Harry simply sat against the wall, smirking at them as Douglas rolled them so he was on top of Niall. “Yes, I shagged her, but she can’t be with me, or any of us. She’s a cop, and a cop can’t date a member of a boy band.”

“You don’t know that! I could have changed her mind! I could have!” He argued, rolling back on top of Douglas and slamming his against the ground before shoving his face into the carpet. “Besides, maybe you’re the murderer and when you get locked up I’ll steal her away.” He hissed.

“Niall, this isn’t helping anything!” Douglas snapped, trying to fight back against the Irishman, but Niall kept him pinned.

“She’ll know you did it after I tell her what happened in Melbourne.” Niall said, tears threatening to spill over once again. Harry leaned forward, looking at the two of them.

“What?” He asked, his interest peaked.

“Liam’s done this before.” Niall hissed. “Didn’t you Liam?”

“Shut your mouth Niall!” Douglas roared, bucking against him. “We don’t have time for this! What if Aerabella’s hurt?” Harry moved forward, slamming his large hand over Douglas’ mouth and shutting him up. His eyes moved to the small blonde boy keeping Douglas face pressed into the floor.

“Did what before?” Harry asked, his eyes not leaving Niall. His brilliant eyes moved to Harry’s, memories flashing in them before he spoke.

“Liam’s killed someone before.”

Aerabella let out a long groan, her head was throbbing and the room felt like it was spinning. She went to stand when she realized there was no ground beneath her. Her eyes flew open to see that she was dangling over the sound, her arms tied behind her back and her ankles tied tightly together, a weight dangling down from them. Her mouth was gagged as she tried to figure out what was holding her up. She shifted slightly and felt cold metal against her skin. She assumed from the construction machines around her that she was probably attached to some sort of crane. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her heart as she looked around the dark, abandoned sight. Rain was pouring down and she noticed that the metal was slick and felt the fear trying to take over again.

If she slipped she would sink to the bottom and no one would be any wiser. She couldn’t fidget around to untie her hands or call out to someone. She was completely helpless as she dangled above the dark water. She closed her eyes, trying to remember anything she could about the attack before she’d blacked out. She’d stepped inside and the first thing she’d noticed was a delicious smell. And she knew the hand that had grabbed her had been larger than average, and a man’s. It had been rough too, that she knew, and it had sent another wave of the smell through her brain. She pressed her lips together, searching her throbbing brain to try and remember which of the boys it belonged to. Finally she gave up, opening her eyes to see something she hadn’t noticed before. She narrowed her eyes, squinting to make out the writing. As soon as she read the words her heart stopped. It was more blood, or red paint, but she doubted that, and this time the message only opted for two words.

Richelle Haddock


Her fear turned into fury as she saw the red letters against the pavement. Douglas was the only one who knew about Rickie, the only one who knew how much her murder haunted Aerabella. She never should have let him out of custody, and she never should have trusted him. She screamed as loudly as she could through her gag, praying someone might hear her. She felt tears stinging her eyes as she kept screaming, swearing that she was going to kill Douglas Smith even if it put her in her grave.

Harry looked at Niall, his green eyes huge. “What?” He asked.

“Liam’s killed someone before.” Niall repeated. “Six months ago when we were in Melbourne. Liam and I were walking back to the hotel after getting some food and a bloke pulled a gun on us. Liam just grabbed the gun and spun it around, taking it from the bloke and shooting his square in the chest. It wasn’t normal.” Niall hissed, pressing Douglas’ face further into the carpet. “He’s a killer and I’m not letting him anywhere near Aerabella!”

“What did you do with the body?” Harry asked.

“He just left it there. He wiped his fingerprints off the gun and left it with on his chest before we took off. Niall’s jaw clenched. “He didn’t even hesitate.”

“Will you stop this bloody nonsense!?” Liam growled, pushing his face back so he could breathe. “I have to find Aerabella! She could be in trouble!”

“Why? So you can fuck her again?” Harry asked, his eyes narrowing. “Niall’s right, you’re the only one who could kill anybody, you did it! Lou’s in jail because of you!

“You probably just want to find her so you can kill her! You’re a bloody murderer!” Niall hollered.

“What the bloody Hell?” All three boys turned to see Zayn standing in the doorway, rubbing his bloody wrists as a pair of handcuffs dangled out of his pocket.

“What happened to you?” Harry asked. Zayn flushed, running one of his hands through his hair.

“It’s a long story.” He said. Niall reached out, grabbing the handcuffs from Zayn’s pockets and using them to restrain Douglas’ arms behind his back.

“Niall what the fuck are you doing!?” Douglas hissed, pulling against the metal.

“Making sure you don’t kill anyone else.” Niall snapped.

“Did I miss something?” Zayn asked, his honey eyes wide.

“Yeah, Liam’s the killer. He offed a bloke in Australia and now he’s gone bloody mental.” Harry said.

“You’re the one who tried to kill Aerabella!” Liam growled, rolling onto his back to glare at the three men he thought were his friends. “Or did you forget that already Harry? Did you forget that you had two keycards and Niall was missing his?!” Harry’s eyes narrowed.

“Who told you I had two keycards?” He asked. Douglas pressed his lips together, cursing himself for giving away too much information. Without another word Harry grabbed him, shoving him in his closet and barricading the door.

“What are we going to do?” Zayn asked, his eyes huge. Harry looked at the door.

“We find Aerabella ourselves and then we get Louis out.” He said simply. “Zayn, you call the cops and stay here with him. I think Niall and I can handle this.” The raven haired boy simply nodded as Harry and Niall quickly made their way out the door. He closed the door and looked at the closet, listening as Douglas slammed into it over and over. He simply grabbed the TV remote and turned on the telly. As he made his way down to the adult section Douglas started making even more of a racket.

“Zayn! Zayn listen to me, I have to find Aerabella!” Zayn looked at the door for a moment before simply turning up the volume and drowning Douglas out.

The sound of footsteps made Aerabella’s head snap up. She screamed again, praying someone might hear her, but a dark chuckle was her only reply. She recognized the laugh and her blood froze.

“I’m afraid there’s no use screaming Elle dear, I’m the only one who can hear you.” He said, walking into the glow of one of the flickering street lights. Her lower lips started trembling, tears stinging her eyes. She pressed her lips together, fighting them back as he chuckled again. “Aw, are you going to cry love?” He whispered. He walked over and removed the gag from her mouth. She glared at him, her eyes black.

“I trusted you.” She hissed. “How could you do this to me?!” He smiled, running his thumb over her lips before crashing against them with his own. She squirmed, trying desperately to fight away, but she slipped further towards the water and he pulled away.

“Don’t struggle too much love, we don’t want you at the bottom of the Sound now do we?” Her jaw clenched as she glared at him, one question plaguing her above all others.

“Why?” She asked. He smirked.

“Because Elle my love.” He whispered. “I can.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I hate to be the one to break this to you guys
The next chapter is the last one
and then the epilogue.
And then it's over.
And I will probably get super sappy and junk.
Anywho, I love you

-LS