Status: Contest Entry

Dreams Become Reality

01

I wake with a start and look at my clock next to my bed and noticed that I was up an hour before it was set to go off. With a quiet groan, I laid back down and tried to go back to sleep. But now that I was fully awake, my mind began reviewing for my finals that I have to take today. I smiled to myself, my last finals ever. I sat up and smiled again when my eyes landed on the picture frame sitting on my desk. It's a picture of my two older brothers and I goofing off in our parents’ back yard last summer. Jonathan and David are hockey players and we don’t get to see a lot of each other, so all three of us take advantage of our free summers and spend most of that time with each other. The three of us are super close and we rarely fight which is rare for siblings in our family.

I glanced at the clock and noticed that Jon would be up by now, so I decided to call him. I dialed his familiar number and held my breath as I waited for him to pick up.

“Mellie!” He answered on the second ring and I smiled at the sound of his voice. God did I miss my brother. “What are you doing up?”

“I actually woke up before my alarm. Guess I’m just excited and nervous about today.”

“That’s right, my baby sister is finishing college. I’m so proud of you, Melody.”

“Thank you Jon, I’m pretty proud of myself.”

“Good to hear. What time are you done today?”

I reached for my planner that was sitting on my nightstand and I glanced at the sticky note on the front. “Looks like 3:30.” I smiled.

“During my nap, so guess I’ll just say congratulations now.” He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

Hockey players and their game day superstitions. Jon's are worse now because his team, the Chicago Blackhawks have made it to the playoffs and he gets extra serious during this time. It made me feel bad for his girlfriend, Shawna.

“That’s right, you have a game tonight. What game is it?”

I always tried my hardest to keep track of my brothers’ seasons during the school year, but these past couple of months have been super busy for me since it is my senior year and final semester and I haven‘t been as in the loop as I usually am.

Jon chuckled. “How deep did your books have you buried? This is game four, Mel. We can win it tonight."

I slapped my forehead. How could I have forgotten that this was a big game for him and the team? “I have missed so much. I’m sorry I didn’t know you guys had that big of a series lead. You know I would have been the first to text you.”

“Don’t you dare apologize, you are in school. I would rather you pay more attention to your studies than hockey. I know you are still supporting me and the guys no matter what.”

“But you’re family Jon, and this is one of the few times I actually get to see you play on television here.”

I heard him chuckle again. “You’re the one who wanted to go to a different state for school. I offered you a place to stay here if you wanted to go to school here, but you chose Philly. Not my fault.”

I laughed and stuck my tongue out at him even though he couldn’t see me. Both of my brothers were against the idea of me going away to school, they both would have rather I stayed in Manitoba with our parents or joined them in Chicago. Once they saw how happy I was here at West Chester, they backed off. Jon still worried about me and for my first two years he kept trying to sell Chicago to me, but eventually he gave up.

“So brother dearest, how is Shawna doing?” I asked. Jon’s girlfriend of three years became one of my best friends and like a sister to me. I can go to her for anything.

“She’s doing great.” I smile when I hear the love in his voice. It is evident every time he speaks of his girl and it warms my heart to know that he has found someone who loves him for him and not for his status in Chicago or the NHL. Shawna is a great girl.

I could hear soft whispers and I knew he was talking to her. “Mel?” This time it was Shawna.

I smiled. “Shawna, how are you?”

“I’m great,” she giggled and I rolled my eyes.

“That’s what Jon said, what has you in such a great mood?”

“You’re the first to know, I’m pregnant.”

I screamed, not caring if my housemates were still sleeping. Shawna was pregnant! I was going to be an aunt! This had to be the most exciting news ever. I knew Jon wanted to start a family and he told me that he wanted that with Shawna and now they are finally starting it.

“Shawna, that’s great! Ohmygod, I am so happy for the both of you!”

“Thank you, Melody. We are waiting until the end of playoffs to tell everyone else.”

“You’re secret is safe with me. Give Jon a big hug for me.” I sighed. “Man, I wish I was there with you guys.”

“You have finals and plus you’ll be here at the end of the week.”

I smiled. Jon did this every year, once I finished he would fly me out to the Windy City to watch the remainder of the playoffs and spend time with him and the guys from the team. This year was no different and now I really couldn’t wait to get on the plane. I glanced at the clock and my smiled faded. “Shawna, I have to start getting ready for my day. Tell Jon that I love him and cheer extra loud for me tonight.”

“Will do Mel, we are all wishing you luck today. We love you.”

“Love you too.”

As soon as I hung up with Shawna, I opened my Facebook app and created a new post.

”Dreams don’t come true if you give up. Each day you get another chance to make it reality.” This quote holds so much truth today, for more than one reason. It’s going to be a great day.

Once I was done with that, I pulled my Toews jersey out of my closet and laid it on my bed along with a simple v-neck shirt, my favorite pair of skinny jeans, and my TOMS before jumping in the shower. As I showered, I traced the quote I had tattooed on my side. Jon had said it to me many times as we grew up and I always joked that I was going to get it tattooed somewhere. I surprised him two years ago with it. It was a saying I lived everyday by.

I got out of the shower and quickly dried off and did my makeup before getting dressed. Once I was read I grabbed my bag and Ipod and went out the door. I smiled, this is the last time I would be walking to campus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! My latest contest entry for Dance.Dance.Dance's NHL contest.

I hope you enjoy it, not really sure how long it's going to be. It was originally going to be a one-shot but I decided against it.

Tell me what you think!