‹ Prequel: Trust Issues

Hell Hath No Fury

Chapter 2

He’s coming...
Kate’s head began to spin.
Loki is coming...
Kate swayed slightly and brought her hand to her forehead.
“You alright, Katie?” Tony asked worriedly as he grabbed her arm to steady her. Kate regained her composure as best as she could and nodded.
“Fine. Just got a little light headed, that’s all.” She stated quietly. Tony raised his eyebrow suspiciously. “I’m fine Tony. Really.” Kate turned her attention back to Thor and spoke before Tony could say anything else. “When, and more importantly, how did Loki escape?”
“Three days ago.” Thor responded.
“And already he has an army?” Tony questioned and Thor nodded solemnly. “Jesus. That guy works fast.” Tony mumbled.
“We suspect that my brother somehow contacted the Chitauri while he was imprisoned. They attacked and we tried to stop them, but they broke Loki out of his prison and fled before we could.”
“And how the hell did he contact them exactly? I thought your father took away his powers.” Tony crossed his arms over his chest and eyed the Norse god suspiciously.
“My brother has his ways. Some of them known to us, but many of them not.” Thor rubbed his eyes wearily.
“Well isn’t that just peachy. Now we have to kick his ass yet again.” Tony threw his hands up as began pacing.
“So it would seem, Mr. Stark.” Both Kate and Tony turned to look at Director Fury as he made his way over to the conference table. “Loki is once again a threat to this planet, and therefore our responsibility.” Fury stated as he stood at the head of the table and placed his hands behind his back.
“But, sir?” Kate questioned. “How the hell are we going to stop him this time? We just barely managed to beat him the last time he attacked, and now he probably has a grudge mass against us the size of small planet.”
“We’re gonna have to, Agent Poole. We have no choice.”
“And if we fail?” Kate asked.
“Not an option.” Fury stated.
“Well whoop-de-fuckin’-do.” Tony muttered as Fury glared at him with his one good eye.
“Tony?” Tony looked over at Kate.
“Ya?”
“Shut up. You’re not helping.” She turned to look at Thor again. “Where is Loki now?” She asked.
“It is hard to say.” Thor responded. “Since the Bi-Frost was destroyed, his method of transportation will be less...convenient.”
“How did you get here so fast, Fabio?”
“Dark magic.” Thor frowned as he spoke. “My father thought that the situation necessitated the use of it.”
“Speaking of ‘dark magic,’ does Loki have his powers again?” Tony asked. Thor lowered his gaze and remained silent. “I’ll take that as a yes.” Tony threw up his hands. “Lovely. Now we are truly screwed.”
“Have a little faith, Mr. Stark.” Tony and Kate turned around to look at Steve Rogers who choose that moment to walk into the room.
“I’ve got plenty of faith, Uncle Sam,” Tony snarked. “But it’s gonna take a bit more than your happy-go-lucky attitude to--”
“Gentleman,” Fury interrupted. “As much as I enjoy listening to your unproductive and unintelligent banter, we have a soon-to-be-terrestrial threat imminently approaching.We should be preparing for the worst.”
Rogers gave Tony a disapproving look, to which Tony just stuck out his tongue and wondered off to find a drink.
“All right,” said Rogers. “Then let’s get started.”

After Kate left Fury, Thor, and Steve planning on the bridge, she went in search of Tony and found him in the lab talking with Bruce, drink in hand--a very large drink.
“Do you think now is the best time for that, Tony?” Bruce and Tony looked up at the sound of her voice and Kate motioned to Tony’s drink. He rolled his eyes and moved around the counter to approach her, Bruce following shyly behind.
“Anytime is the right time.” Tony stated proudly as he took a large swig from his glass. “Especially when we all might be killed by a looney god at any moment.”
“Right...” Kate mumbled before turning her attention to the doctor. “Hi, Bruce. Long time, no see.” She smiled at the man who in return smiled at her.
“You can say that again.” He responded quietly. “How are you holding up?”
“Pretty well.” She replied. “Considering the Norse god who had a massive grudge against me and who thinks that I am not longer living is heading for Earth as we speak.” Tony snorted at her comment and raised his glass for another drink, but before he could, Kate snatched it from his grasp and downed the drink herself. The expensive whiskey burned her throat and made her eyes water, but the numbness that began to spread through her body made the burn worth it.
“Hey! That shit is expensive!” Tony exclaimed.
“Not like you can’t afford more.” Kate said as she handed the empty class back to the pissed of billionaire. “Besides, your liver will thank me later.” Tony grumbled as he walked back over to the work counter and began fiddling with a monitor of some kind. Kate turned her attention back to the quiet scientist who was still standing beside her when she felt him grasp her hand in his warm grip.
“Everything is going to be fine, Kate.” He said, lowering his voice. “I won’t let him hurt you again. I promise.” Kate smiled sadly at him. She knew, deep down, that if Loki found out she was still alive, nothing or no one, not even Bruce Banner at his angriest, would be able to keep him from her.
“Thanks, Bruce.” She gave his hand a light squeeze. “That means a lot.”
“What are you two conspiring about over there?” Tony asked from the other side of the lab.
“The most effective method of killing someone while they sleep.” Kate shot back before winking discreetly at Bruce and making her way over to where Tony was working.
“You wouldn’t happen to be planning on using one of those methods on moi, would you?” Tony put a hand over his heart in a gesture of mock effrontery.
“Don’t give me any ideas.” Kate responded. Tony was about to make another snarky comment, when they were interrupted by Fury’s voice echoing over the shipboard comm.
“Mr. Stark, Dr. Banner, and Agent Poole report to the bridge ASAP.” Was all he said before the comm went silent.
“Sounds like Reindeer Games has finally decided to grace us with his illustrious presence.” Tony joked, but his voice wavered slightly and betrayed his nervousness as the three of them walked out of the lab and towards the bridge.

Kate, Tony, and Bruce walked onto the bridge and into absolute chaos. Agents were running back and forth between monitors and Agent Hill was shouting orders at people while Fury, Steve, and Thor were huddled together and having what appeared to be a heated debate about something.
“What the hell?” Tony muttered. “What’s going on, Fury?” Fury didn’t respond to Tony, but instead turned to a bald agent in a suit and glasses.
“Bring them up to speed, Agent.” Fury stated. The bald agent with the glasses nodded and began to speak.
“Something broke the atmosphere approximately three minutes ago.”
“Loki?” Bruce asked.
“It’s too far away to tell yet, but whatever, or whoever it is, they’re not alone.”
“What’s their trajectory?” Kate questioned.
“It’s to soon to tell, but--” The agent went silent as his computer began beeping.
“What is it, Agent?” Fury questioned. “Did you figure out where they’re headed?”
“England, sir.” The agent responded quietly. “They’re headed for England.” Kate’s heart ceased to beat for a few seconds when she processed what the agent had said. Loki was headed for England. One of the most powerful and influential countries in the world-- as well as her home.

Loki's eyes wandered over the vast city of London. His mouth twisted into a dark smile. England. This was where his Kate was from. And it would be the first nation of many to kneel before him.