‹ Prequel: The Space Between
Sequel: On Your Side
Status: Completed.

Stay

No one knows me better.

Things began slowly changing after prom.

Even Jenna noticed, even though she tried so hard not to. It was like life never seemed to be moving quickly until she didn't want it to.

"This is so stupid." John grumbled as he placed the ugly graduation cap onto his head causing Jenna to laugh as he forced a smile to take a picture for his camera happy mother.

"It isn't that bad."

"Isn't that bad. Coming from someone who doesn't have to wear it!"

Jenna stuck her tongue out at him and he grinned at her before placing the hat on her head.

John seemed to be examining her new look before he spoke, "Well, it doesn't look bad on you, but still!"

Jenna rolled her eyes and John chuckled, removing it from her head right as Eric walked up with Jared and Pat.

"Aloha!" Pat said waving madly and Jenna chuckled, "Hello."

Graduation day was officially over and Jenna tried not to focus on the fact that next year she would be alone. The only hope she had was Pat and he was graduating early due to the band. What really bothered her though was Eric being gone.

"Babe..." Eric spoke, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

"Mhm?"

"Will you come with me? My mom wants some pictures and you have been cordially invited to be in them."

Jenna giggled and he kissed her cheek before pulling her away from the small group and to his family. She of course had sat with them during the ceremony so seeing them wasn't anything new. The pair was forced into several pictures including ones with her brother and others who found there way over to the Halvorsen family.

"My cheeks hurt from fake smiling." Eric mumbled, rubbing his cheeks and Jenna laughed, "Poor baby."

Eric frowned as he placed his arms around her waist. She stared up at him and he pecked her lips, "And to think we have a whole summer to ourselves."

"Minus the touring." She added and he shrugged, "You can come with me this time."

"Maybe."

"Maybe? You won't be in school. I'll miss you." He pouted and she raised up kissing him gently.

"I'll be with you simply because I know things will be different come August."

Eric sighed, "Can we just not talk about it right now? We have 3 months before we need to think about it."

The girl didn't bother to respond and he pulled her to his chest, "Gonna come with me to the O'Callaghan bbq festivities?"

"Of course."

Eric kissed her forehead before grabbing her hand and heading to his car. The O'Callaghan's decided to throw a graduation party for everyone and invited probably the whole town which Jenna expected nothing less. They were just like John. It only made sense.

"So many people." Eric chuckled as they parked and walked inside without much of a knock.

"Eric Halvorsen!" She heard someone shout as they went in and she chuckled as his hand left hers and watched him hug John's brother. It always amused her when he was in a social setting. He was so likable, and lovable, and people seemed to gravitate towards him. She loved it. She loved that he was so loved by everyone because that's exactly how she felt around him.

"Boyfriend getting all the attention. Man whore." She heard and chuckled as she noticed John beside her with a grin on his lips.

"I've accepted he's the cool one in the relationship."

"Yeah, you're the cute one so only seems fair."

Jenna laughed, "Oh thanks."

"Want a drink? You know, parents are here, so all I can offer is you a choice of soda."

"Ah yes. Well, I shall accept."

"Very well my lady." He said bowing and she laughed as he grabbed her hand, pulling her into the kitchen where his mother sat with Pat's mother.

"Hello ladies." John mused and Mrs. O'Callaghan smiled, "Oh hey Jenna, how are you?!"

"Good, you?"

"Good, glad you came."

Jenna agreed and John handed her a cup which she thanked him for and he pulled her from the room before the chatting continued.

"My mom loves you. So I had to get you away." John said as he lit up a cigarette the minute they stepped onto the back porch.

"Awe. I love her too."

John rolled his eyes, "No, you don't get it. She tells me all the time about how pretty you are and how if I wasn't so reckless and stupid she would suggest me wooing you." He spoke, laughter in his voice.

Jenna laughed, "Wow. I'm flattered I guess, but surely she knows I already know I'm too good for you."

John shot her a look and she giggled, "I'm kidding! You know I love you."

"Yeah, yeah, jerk."

She hugged him from the side right as Eric walked out, "Whoa, whoa. Do I need to leave?" He teased knowing very well it was innocent.

"Yeah, we were just about to make out." John joked and Jenna laughed as she shoved him lightly.

"Oh ok. Well I'll just go..."

"Eric." Jenna chuckled as she grabbed for his arm, pulling him to a stop.

"Yes, Jenna?" He asked with a grin as she attached herself to him. She didn't respond, just buried her face into his chest.

"I'm kidding, love." He breathed out, kissing her head. She looked up and he cupped her cheek, kissing her face repeatedly.

"Nick wants me to go tomorrow and look at apartments."

"Ok." She mumbled and he pecked her nose, "But I still want you to stay with me tonight. But seriously, just imagine though, me having my own place. It's going to be awesome."

Jenna chuckled, "Will be nice."

"Yeah, no more asking permission, having to plan having sex..."

"Oh that's the real concern." Jenna said with a eye roll and he smiled, "It's annoying I will say. I mean, hey, I graduated and I can't have sex with my girlfriend. It sucks."

"Such a hard life."

Eric laughed before crashing his lips to hers, "I've gotta go find that guy actually. He's around here somewhere. Gotta find out what time tomorrow. Be back."

"O'Callaghan keep your hands off my girl." Eric added loud enough for the boy to hear who was lost in his phone.

"I'll try, Eric. It's hard."

Eric laughed his way inside and Jenna placed her hands on her hips as John gave her a look, "What?"

"Who are you texting? A girl?" She asked with a grin.

"Like I'd tell you."

"Why wouldn't you?! I thought we were friends?"

John laughed, "We are, Jen, but you blow things out of proportion. Yes, I'm talking to a girl. Am I planning to date her? No."

"Well, why not?" She frowned. She knew she always pushed him towards people but she just wanted him to have some one. She knew if he gave it a shot, he would be good at a relationship.

John grinned as he stared at the girl who looked more concerned about him than he believed to be necessary.

"Because Jenna, it's complicated..." He finally replied, his crooked grin still on his lips. He had his reasons. A huge reason actually. He would just never tell her.

"Fine." She mumbled and he threw his arm around her shoulders, "Let's go inside pretty girl."

The party lasted well into the night and by 11 Jenna was exhausted. Eric of course was still laughing and talking with anyone who would talk back.

"Tired?" Garrett asked laughing as she fell beside him.

"Life of a social butterflies girlfriend." She mumbled and he laughed, "True..."

"He's lucky he's cute." She added leaning her head on Kennedy who was next to her.

"Want me to take you home?" Garrett offered and she covered her mouth to yawn before answering.

"Yeah, let me tell him." She spoke, before forcing herself up and to Eric across the room.

"Hey you." Eric immediately said with a smile as he placed his arm around her waist.

"Hey, Gar is going to take me home."

"What? Why?" He asked with a frown.

"I'm tired." She chuckled and he spoke, "Ok, I'll go with you."

"What?! No. Stay. It's not that big of a deal." She said and he shook his head, "No, you said you were going to stay with me."

"Eric, it's fine. It's not like we won't see each other tomorrow." She replied placing her hands on his shoulders, "Stay, have fun."

Eric seemed to be in debate over her words or even his own decisions and she leaned in kissing his cheek, "Just text me when you get home."

He grasped her hips and pulled her in, "You sure baby? I have no problem leaving with you."

"I promise."

"Ok, well I love you, text me when you get home."

"I will." She whispered and he brought his hand to her cheek before kissing her lips.

The pair said goodbye and she grabbed Garrett in order to leave.

"Awe, is this like your first night apart?" Her brother joked and she rolled her eyes as they got in the car.

"20 dollars on him showing up in 30."

"Shut up."

Garrett laughed and the 5 minute ride felt shorter than normal.

"Are you going back?"

"Yeah, for a while."

"Alright, don't be stupid. Bye."

"Yeah, yeah."

Jenna went into the house and didn't waste time changing clothes and climbing into bed. Right as she got comfortable her phone began to vibrate. She grabbed it from the night stand and groaned when she saw Eric's name. She forgot.

'Thanks for texting me...'

She immediately called the boy to make up for it and he answered on the second ring.

"Sorry, I was changing and what not. I was going to."

" Jenna...are we ok?" He asked, as he left the house for some privacy, taking a seat on the steps outside.

"What? Yeah, why wouldn't we be?"

"I don't know, you would tell me if something was up right?"

"Eric, we're fine. I'm fine."

"Ok..." he mumbled running his hand through his messy hair, "I love you so much, Jenna." He mumbled as he traced a pattern into his tattered jeans.

"I love you too. Stop worrying about whatever you're worrying about. Go have fun and I better see you when you finish with Nick tomorrow."

"Yeah. I don't know if I can go with him."

"Why?"

"Because, that means I won't see you until the afternoon."

"So?" She responded with a chuckle.

"Jenna!" He groaned and she laughed, "I love you."

"Shut up. You don't even want to see me." He grumbled.

"I always want to see you."

"Whatever..."

"Eric, just come over tomorrow. Whenever. I won't be able to go all day without seeing you if that makes you feel better."

"It does a little..."

Jenna laughed, "Ok, stop being that guy. I love you. Be careful."

"Love you too. Sweet dreams."

The pair hung up with each other and Jenna fell back onto her pillow with a sigh. She didn't know why she felt so off lately but she hated it. Maybe it was simply from all the things going on all at once. Surely it would get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are going to get tense and for that I'm sorry. A little...ha.

Thanks for commenting;
Lovelyhope
Lullabies on Sunday
:)