‹ Prequel: The Space Between
Sequel: On Your Side
Status: Completed.

Stay

Troubled waters.

"Jenna..." Eric whispered, stroking her hair, trying to wake her up in order for her to get to school on time.

"Screw school."

Eric laughed and kissed over her face, "Baby, one year left and it'll be over. Get up and I'll go make you some coffee."

"Do you even own that?"

Eric laughed, "Yeah, I do."

She grinned, looking up at him sleepily and he kissed her forehead before leaving the room.

"I feel like I live with a fucking married couple." Nick grumbled, walking into the kitchen as Eric turned on the coffee maker.

Eric chuckled, "Sorry, man."

"Mhm. I'm sure. She's got school today?"

"Yeah."

"Poor thing has to be without everyone."

"I know, I seriously am dreading it for her."

"She'll be fine, it's you I'm dreading being around."

Eric shot the boy a look, "Yeah, why are you up again?"

Nick shrugged pouring some cereal into his bowl. The two sat at the table having small talk until Jenna appeared ready to go.

"Morning Nick." Jenna smiled, patting his head and he grinned, "Good morning. Are you excited?"

Jenna rolled her eyes, "Hardly."

"No worries. Neither is Eric. It's like he's going instead."

Jenna chuckled as Eric rolled his eyes handing the girl a thing of coffee to go.

"Thank you." She replied with a grin as she placed her backpack over her shoulder.

"Have a great day, Santino."

"Oh no, you have a great day, Nickelsen. I expect a full report when you come home tonight. I told Eric I feel like I live with a married couple so..."

"Awe, so are you our kid, Nick?"

"Basically!"

Eric laughed, "Ok, ok. This is ridiculous."

"I'll come tuck you in tonight and we will talk."

"That's all I ask."

"Ok, ok, let's go." Eric chuckled grabbing her hand and pulling her to the car.

"I truly think sometimes that my friends like you better than me."

"Actually, your friends were my friends first. The only one that can apply to is Nick so..."

"Mhm." He mumbled a grin on his lips as he watched her buckle her seatbelt.

"Either way." He added and she shrugged, "What can I say? I'm lovable!"

"That you are, Jenna." He chuckled grabbing up her hand as they drove the distance to the high school. It was odd really. Not just for Jenna but for him as well. To be there and not attending class. It was an odd emotion.

"I'll pick you up at 3?"

She nodded and he leaned in to kiss her, "Be good ok?" He teased and she rolled her eyes, "Oh whatever."

He let out a laugh and pulled her in, kissing her once more, "I love you. Have a good day, sweetie."

"Love you."

Eric watched her walk into the building before heading back to his house. He assumed most couples would be happy to have some time apart, but it really just made the day drag on more so than he had intended and by 2 he was pacing John's living room as the group all hung out since they had nothing musical to do for once.

"Can you chill the fuck out?" John asked calmly and Eric looked over at him just to make sure he was talking to him.

Eric whined and fell onto the couch, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You only have 45 minutes. Settle down. I mean, how the hell can you like someone that much?!" Nick asked causing John to snicker from beside Eric.

"You've never dated a Nickelsen, Nick." Garrett stated from the floor and the others laughed.

"And I never will, so I assume I'll never understand."

"Yeah because unless you plan to date Trey it'll never happen." Eric joked and Nick rolled his eyes,"No thanks."

Eric chuckled and glanced at his watch. He really did miss her. Maybe it was pathetic, but it was true! By the time he left he tried not to drive like a maniac to the school. He pulled up in the parking spot that was desinated for her car and put it in park. Kids started filing out and he anxiously tapped his fingers on the steering wheel waiting to see her before opting to change the radio for something upbeat. In the middle of that, his passenger door opened and he immediately looked over to see Jenna getting in.

"Hey you, how was your day?" He asked with a grin before eagerly kissing the girl.

"Fine." She mumbled and his smile faded immediately, "What happened? Who do I need to beat up? Is it that Alex kid? I swear I...."

"Eric." She stated, cutting him off as she placed her hand over his mouth until he shut up.

"Well?" He asked once her hand was gone and she rolled her eyes, "Can we leave?"

He nodded and pulled from the parking lot waiting for her to decide to speak as he tried not to ask once more.

"Jenna, are you going to talk to me?" He finally asked as they parked at John's.

"Honestly, everything's fine." She spoke getting out and he followed her instantly.

"Are you mad at me? I mean it's hard for me to do something when you're in school, but still, I guess it's possible..."

"Eric, no. I'm not mad at you." She replied before stepping into the house which immediately filled with hellos.

Eric took his seat back next to John and watched the girl who was ok with talking to Pat apparently which seemed to bother Eric a bit.

"Dude, what's wrong?" John asked picking up on the unusual vibe.

"I don't know. She won't talk to me." He grumbled crossing his arms trying not to seem like he cared as much as he did.

John sighed racking his fingers through his hair, although the thought o being alone with her terrified him, he'd do it for Eric.

"I'll talk to her man. I'm sure it's nothing."

Eric nodded and John stood from the couch, "Hey, Jen, come help me get some drinks."

Jenna nodded and followed the lanky boy into the kitchen. Once they were alone John began his questions.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his eyes narrowing with concern.

"Nothing."

"Ok, lie 1. What happened today?"

Jenna crossed her arms as she tried to avoid his stare.

"Nothing..."

"Wow. Lie 2. How long are we going to keep this up?"

"John..." She whined and he shook his head not giving in, "Talk to me."

She leaned against the counter with a sigh as she thought over the horrible day.

"I just, I have 6 classes with Alex, the only reason people talk to me is because of you guys and if I have another cheerleader ask me for your number I'll hang myself!"

A frowned appeared on John's face as her words filled his thoughts.

"Because of us?"

"Yeah! Because you guys are a big deal here apparently and that means everyone wants to be friends with me. Just know, that cheerleader Mindy cornered me in the bathroom telling me she lost your number and it was urgent she got it again."

John cringed at the thought of the girl and he let out a sigh, "Jen, I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be like that."

"It's whatever. Just exhausting." She mumbled, her eyes watering and he pulled her in for a hug. He felt horrible really. He never wanted her to be in the middle of their business and he didn't want it to effect her life in anyway especially a negative way. If there was anything he knew about Jenna it was that she was a very personal person and it wasn't that she was crying because it hurt her feelings it was simply what she said, it was exhausting for her. Overwhelming he assumed.

"Jen, I'm so sorry." He mumbled holding her tightly as she sniffled into his shirt.

"It's not your fault."

"Feels like it."

She looked up at him and he brushed her cheek, "I'll fix this."

"How?"

"Not sure yet, but I'll think of something. In the mean time, talk to Eric. You worry him so much."

"I just knew if I told him he'd flip."

"Well yeah, he will, but that's just because he loves you Jenna."

"I know. I just needed to talk to someone calm first."

John grinned, "I understand."

"Thank you."

"For what? Making you talk?"

Jenna chuckled, "Yeah."

"Anytime, Jen. You know I'm here for you." He responded slinging his arm over her shoulders as they walked out. Although he hated that, he knew it was true. He'd be here whenever she needed him to be.

Eric's eyes immediately landed on Jenna. Without her saying a word he knew. He knew the way she felt. It was like they were in sync with each other in a way he didn't know possible.

Jenna fell into his lap and he pulled her to him, "Please, Jen, tell me why you're upset. It's killing me." He whispered, rubbing her side gently and she held on to him tightly, laying her head on his chest.

"Not because of you Eric. You never upset me." She mumbled, not wanting to talk about it in front of everyone, but he needed to know it wasn't because of him.

Eric sighed, deciding to drop it until he got her alone. After 30 minutes of sitting at John's, Eric announced they were leaving not bothering to concern Jenna since she was still wrapped up in him. He held her hand to the car and once they were inside Jenna spoke before he could.

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be overbearing but, you being upset affects me. I'm sorry I kept questioning you, I just, you know how much you mean to me and I want to fix everything for you, Jenna. I know I can't, but I always want to try and I want you to feel like you can talk to me about anything."

"I do, Eric."

"But you talked to John. Not me." Eric spoke with a weak grin, trying to show that he in fact wasn't angry.

"It really wasn't like that. I just, I know how much you worry about me and I just needed to vent without you freaking out. I love you so much Eric and I love that you are so protective of me, but sometimes I just want to vent without worrying about how you'll react."

Eric sighed as he clutched the steering wheel not sure how he should feel about her confession. Was he that bad? Maybe he just didn't notice.

"Am I taking you home or..." He grumbled and she groaned, "Eric..."

"What? It's just a question."

"Take me wherever." She whispered as she looked out the window. After everything that happened today she managed to make the one person that was never upset with her mad. How did that happen?!

"Jen, just tell me where you want to go."

"I guess home because you are clearly mad at me."

"I am not mad at you!"

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm just, a bit hurt, ok? I thought we could talk about everything and apparently that isn't the case, so it just messed with me, is it that hard to understand?"

"Eric! You know very well I would have told you!"

"Yeah? Before or after John?"

"Are you jealous?" She asked glaring at him and he stifled a laugh, "Nope. Not at all, Jen. Who you want to talk to is your business."

She rolled her eyes and he glanced over at her, "All I'm saying is, if I'm being replaced than by all means just tell me and save me from it falling apart like this."

Jenna laughed harshly as they parked at her house, tears now welling up in her eyes simply because they never talked to each other like this. She didn't dare speak, then again she didn't know if she had it in her to do so. She slammed the car door and choked back her tears as she went into her house. This was the first fight she had ever had with Eric and she couldn't help but wonder if this would be the last.
♠ ♠ ♠
I seriously have to update this more frequently than the other stories I have just because I have so much written...haha.

Thanks for commenting;
Mell18 (well, let's just focus on the now instead of the future...ha)
Chelsea13 (Thank you!)
Lovelyhope (Well of course! Haha)