‹ Prequel: The Space Between
Sequel: On Your Side
Status: Completed.

Stay

Unspoken feelings.

Eric and Jenna walked into the crowded plaza and Eric immediately tensed. A good amount of people already hung about the decorated tables and lit up venue.

He breathed in as Jenna held onto his hand, pulling him over to a table where her parents sat along with Garrett.

"Where the hell is Trey?" Her dad asked and Eric chuckled, "He left when we did."

"I swear that kid..."

"Gar, you look so cute." She joked, patting her brothers cheek causing him to glare at her.

"Shut up."

Before she could retaliate John walked up along with his mother

"Well hello." He spoke, a grin hiting his lips. If anything it amused Jenna seeing John every year like this. His hair slicked back and a blazer over a white button up, even if he did keep his boots on.

Her mom immediately went into conversation with Mrs. O'Callaghan and she took the seat beside Eric as John sat across from her.

"You look pretty, Jen." John spoke with a grin and Eric spoke up, "And what about me John? Jeez."

John laughed, "You know I think you're sexy." He joked, giving the boy a wink and Garrett gagged.

"Their relationship scares me. Really." Garrett stated and Jenna laughed, "Me too."

"It's like John is dating both of you."

John shrugged, "What can I say? Oh, so I know we can't drink here without getting in trouble so..." he spoke, opening his blazer and showing off a flask he had put in the inside pocket.

"Leave it to you." Eric said laughing at the boy.

"Yeah, leave it to me. So let's get this party started!"

"I'm going to get food and pretend I don't hate life." Garrett mumbled leaving the table and Eric slid back his chair, "How about I get us a nonalcoholic drink?"

Jenna nodded with a smile and him and Garrett walked away talking.

Jenna looked back over at John and he flashed her a crooked smile, "Gonna dance with me tonight, Nickelsen?"

She shook her head, "I never dance."

"I know. We have got to get you out of that rut."

She rolled her eyes and he moved over to her, holding out hi hand, "Come on. Just one dance."

She sighed staring up at him before giving in, "Fine."

John's smile widened and he grabbed her hand, pulling her from her seat. As he pulled her to the dance floor the pair was stopped by a woman John had seen before but couldn't remember her name.

"Jenna!" The woman spoke happily and Jenna hugged the woman instantly, "Aunt Kate. Hey! I'm glad you came this year!"

"Yeah, we didn't hink we would be able to, but it turned out well. And who is this handsome, young man? Is this the Eric your mother has told me so much about?"

John chuckled as Jenna's face flushed.

"Oh no m'am, I'm John O'Callaghan."

"Oh! Jenny's son?"

"Yes M'am."

"Well now that you said it I can see her in you! Nice to meet you."

"You too." He spoke, clearly charming her just from his smile alone which didn't surprise Jenna.

"Eric's around here with Garrett somewhere. I'll be sure to introduce you two."

"Oh you better!" Her aunt responded before walking away.

"Well, that was funny." John spoke with laughter in his voice as they made it to the foor. She rolled her eyes as she placed her arms around his neck, "Real funny, O'Callaghan."

He smirked and placed his hands on her waist. He knew he shouldn't have done this. It was torture to himself if anything, but he hadn't spent alone time with her in 3 days and he just wanted to be near her. Even if it was messed up...

"See, not so bad...who can't middle school dance?" he whispered, his green eyes locking with hers.

Jenna chuckled, "I guess, but this christmas music sucks though."

"Wow, way to kill the christmas spirit."

She laughed and a smile hit his lips, "Green is a good color on you."

"Thank you."

He nodded, as he tried not to look at her, and instead look around the room. He didn't know why he was so nervous right now. She just did something to him.

"I'm assuming you'll be at Nick and Eric's New Years Eve party?" John asked softly and she nodded, "Of course."

He nodded, his thoughts immediately going to the fact that he would have to be drunk all night because he was going to be alone at midnight unlike everyone else. Something he use to be ok with.

Once the song ended he forced himself to back away from her. She grinned at him and he returned the gesture. She had no idea and it made him feel even more guilty.

She grabbed his wrist and pulled him back to the table where Eric and her brothers now sat.

"Dancing with my girl O'Callaghan?" Eric smirked and John shrugged, "Someone had to."

"Aunt Kate thought he was Eric." Jenna chuckled sitting beside Eric.

"Did you tell her I'm sexier?"

"No, I told her you wished you were me." John joked and Jenna chuckled, "Ok guys. Chill."

"Well just so you know, I met your grandmother and not only is she my favorite person in your family, but she told me I was the cutest guy you've ever dated. Now, I'm not trying to brag..."

Jenna laughed, "She did not."

"Oh no, she did. It was slightly embarrassing." Trey stated.

Jenna chuckled, "Jeez..."

A smile hit his lips, "What can I say?"

"Yeah, yeah. Well come on so you can meet my aunt so she doesn't kill me." She stated grabbing up his hand and pulling him from the chair.

The night ended up going better than Eric had planned. He didn't mind being around his family and by the time everyone was leaving he couldn't help but hope he would be here next year.

He leaned against the wall as she hugged her Aunt Kate who was leaving and the woman looked over at him waving which caused him to smile. It just felt right being apart of Jenna's world.

Eric was lost in thought for longer then he assumed because he didn't notice Jenna until she was right in front of him.

"Hey you." She spoke and he smiled, wrapping her in his arms.

"Hey."

"I'm sleepy."

"Well, it's getting late."

She relaxed against his chest and he stroked her hair, "Coming to dinner at my parents house with me tomorrow right?"

"Of course."

"It's at 6 but I was hoping I could have you before then. Like say, 3? I just, well, one, I have gifts for you and two, I feel like I haven't had any time with you."

"I know. 2 it is."

"I said 3." He chuckled and she looked up, "I know, I'm saying 2."

Eric laughed, "Even better. I'll just pick you up."

"I can just drive to your house and we can go from there."

"Ok." He mumbled before kissing her lips, "I really wish you were going to be with me tonight instead."

"I know."

"Damn holidays."

She giggled and he kissed over her cheek, "Want me to take you home?"

"Oh it's ok, I can ride back with Garrett. Aren't you staying at your parents house anyways?"

"Yeah."

"Then go. Seriously, it's already 10:00."

A sigh left his lips, "Ok. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you. Text me when you get home please and don't forget." He threatened and she rolled her eyes, "I won't."

Eric cupped her face and kissed her a few times, "Merry Christmas my love."

She grinned and he kissed her once more before parting from the girl and heading out the door. Was it normal to already miss someone?

Jenna watched him leave before going in search for her brothers.

"You idiots ready to go?" She asked finding them with the O'Callaghan brothers.

"She's so full of joy. Holidays bring the best outta her." Trey joked and the boys laughed.

"Can we go?" She asked placing her hand on her hip.

"Where's loverboy?"

"He had to go."

"Can't believe he left you even if he had to."

"Haha, let's go."

John chuckled and stood from his seat, "Look, I'm leaving I can take you."

"Thank you John. Maybe you should be my brother instead."

"I'd prefer not to be." He stated grabbing up his coat and Garrett spoke, "Yeah because then all opportunity of banging you would officially be out the window."

"I'm not going to bang your sister." He stated with an eye roll.

"Yeah, if he did he would be dead within the hour because some how Halvo would just feel it." John's younger brother spoke with a snicker.

"Exactly. He would." John added calmly, "Come on, Jenna."

The two said goodbye as she pulled on her coat before exiting the building. They hurried to his truck and he opened the door for her, helping her inside before hopping in the passenger seat. He rubbed his hands together once the truck roared to life and they waited for the heat to appear.

"Did you have fun tonight?" She asked and he shrugged, "Not too bad."

"My cousin Kimberly thinks you're the hottest boy ever."

John chuckled, "Well I am so..."

Jenna laughed as they headed to her house.

"Um, are you going to be here all day or..." He asked and she shook her head, "I'm going to be at Eric's at 2."

"Is it ok if I stop by before then?"

"Sure, why?"

"Because I got you something for Christmas, silly."

"Oh funny. I have you something as well, O'Callaghan."

He chuckled, "Yes, pretty funny."

She grinned and he leaned over, pressing his lips to her cheek, "Merry Christmas, Jenna."

For some reason the nerves in her gut she knew she shouldn't have. It made her feel guilty and unsure of things. Although that wasn't John's fault.

"Merry Christmas, John." She whispered before climbing from the truck and heading inside quickly.

She sighed as she closed the door and she immediately texted Eric that she was home as she headed to her room. She got ready for bed and as she climbed into her cover her phone began to ring.

She grabbed it from her nightstand confusion hitting her face as John's name popped up on the phone.

"Hello?" She breathed and the boy didn't bother to say hey just went into why he called.

"If Eric never showed up, how do you think your life would be?" He asked and she relaxed against her pillow.

"I don't know, I've never really thought about it. I probably would be dating one of you." She chuckled and the line went silent.

"Me. You would be dating me."

"John, what is this about?" She whispered and he sighed on the other end, "I'm not going to find anyone else like you, you know? Someone worth dating. I mean, you see the girls I attract and lately I've just realized I'm going to be alone because no girl is like you. No one can put up with my bullshit or my life."

"That isn't true, John."

"Yes, it is."

"You're amazing, ok? And you are going to find someone amazing. Just be you and give people a chance."

John sighed and she continued, "Let me find you someone."

"I don't want that, Jen. I just, I don't know, what you and Eric have makes me want that for some reason and then I realize, maybe I'm not meant for that."

"Yes you are and you will. I just know it. Who couldn't love you?"

"You are a very optimistic girl."

"Someone has to be."

John chuckled, "I'll see you tomorrow. Get some sleep. I'm sorry about this."

"No, don't apologize. You know I would talk to you no matter what it's about."

"I know..."

"I love you John Oh. Goodnight."

"Love you too, Jenna. Sweet dreams." He whispered, knowing he meant it more then she did.

Why couldn't he just let it go?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting;
Lovelyhope
Chelsea13
Lullabies on Sunday

:)