All Thanks to You

Have Problems With Oxy And Can't Recall What I Had To Drink

“Betty Blue-Eyes, get back here!” I called out, laughing as she bounded through the dog park, chasing a squirrel. She skidded around and came running back, falling over at my feet. She was a miniature Australian Shepherd, still growing into her big feet and long legs. She was a rescue, left on the doorstep of an animal hospital in a cardboard box with two brothers in the pouring rain. Betty had been the runt and the only one not adopted on the first day. Michael, on one of his many volunteer stops during his days off, couldn’t think of a better home for her than with us. He brought her home, and I fell in love instantly. She’s now my best friend, sleeping in my room and going wherever I go.

“She’s gorgeous,” a man slightly older than me said, a leash held in his hand. At the end of the leash was an old, tired-looking Dalmatian who honestly looked like it wanted to just flop on the grass and sleep.

“She is,” I agreed as Betty popped up and started running circles around me, her way of telling me she wanted to play. I knelt down and captured her in my arms as she jumped into me. She attacked me with wet, slobbery kisses, licking my cheeks and chin in excitement. “Yeah, I know! I know! Park! It’s exciting! You’re so cute, aren’t you?”

She barked and jumped out of my arms, pushing me over and onto my back, her wet tongue attacking my neck and nose repeatedly.

“Okay, okay, I get it! Get off now!”

She leapt back obediently and sat down, her thick tail brushing the ground happily. I pushed myself up from the ground, brushing off my pants and scratching the top of Betty’s head.

“What kind of dog is she?” the older man asked.

“She’s a miniature Australian Shepherd,” I replied, picking up a stick from beside her and throwing it as hard as I could across the park. She went racing after it, speeding past it and looking around confused.

“I’m Marton,” he introduced, sticking out his free hand with a smile. I could hear the firm pronunciation in his voice, daring me to call him Martin instead. I got the impression that he liked correcting people, to prove that he was the smartest guy in the room. I’d dated guys like him before. I hated guys like him.

“Melody,” I answered, shaking his hand with my own smile.

“Pretty name. Do you sing?”

“No,” I laughed. I was so sick of that question, or the “voice of an angel” comparison. My mom was a singer, once upon a time, and simply liked the word. If she’d had any other kids, they probably would’ve been named things like Harmony, Aria, and Rondo. Then again, if my dad had any say in my name, I would’ve been Sarah Jane or Susan; he was a big Doctor Who fan.

“Well, the world is missing out on a beautiful voice,” he flirted. I rolled my eyes and searched the park for Betty, finding her trotting contentedly back to me with a stick even bigger than the one I’d thrown. She dropped it by my feet and lay down, chewing the stick without a care in the world.

“Oh, they’re really not. Let’s go, Betty. Daddy’s gonna be home soon,” I said, pulling her leash from my pocket and leaning down to clip it to her collar. She looked up at me with the most scandalized look ever. “I know, I’m sorry. You can run around in the backyard once Daddy comes home.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you had a boyfriend,” Marton apologized, cheeks flaring.

“Yeah, he’s gonna wonder where I’ve got to. It was nice meeting you,” I lied and tugged Betty to her feet. “Wanna race, Betty? Wanna run?”

She jumped and barked, waiting until I said the word. “Ready, girl? Are you ready? GO!”

We took off, sprinting for the end of the park and then to the end of the street. We live right around the corner from the dog park but I kept running, letting Betty race past and to the end of our street. I always wondered what it would feel like if I could just run forever, past our street, past the city limits, past the shore and past the edge of the world. I wondered if I ran fast enough, I could lift myself out of space and time, floating in an in-between existence.

I ran, however, around the block with Betty panting happily at my side and we skidded to a stop on our back steps, just as Michael pulled into the driveway. I hooked Betty up to the dog run and sat on the bottom step, watching as she raced to the end of the run, barking wildly at Michael.

“Hey baby,” he cooed, kneeling in the grass in his perfectly pressed slacks and scratched her behind the ears just the way she liked. “Did you and Mommy have a good day?”

“Yeah, I took her to the dog park where she fell in love with a stick, and I got hit on by a dude named Marton and then we went for a run. It was good fun.”

“You have the best luck with men,” he said with a cocky grin.

“Fuck off,” I snipped.

“Fine, I won’t tell you that I decided to line a date up for you,” he said with a shrug, standing from the grass.

“Wha’chu talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?” I asked, raising my eyebrow at him.

“Mels, this guy is perfect for you. I promise. Trust me on this one. Just go out on one date with him and you’ll see.”

I sat, staring at the toes of my shoes, contemplating the idea. I wasn’t going to find a guy just by going to the dog park, and holing myself up in the house hadn’t helped anything either. Did I want to try my luck with my own choices? Not really. I trusted Michael with my life, so I should be able to trust him with my heart, too. Right?

“Okay, when is the date?”
♠ ♠ ♠
We're getting there, bbies. I've got big plans, sort of.
Let me know what you want to see; drama, fluff, possible smut, car accidents. Whatever, I'm taking suggestions.
:)

DFTBA,
Colonel Runaway.