Status: I'm so sorry i haven't updated in forever. I am just plain stuck in this story and have no inspiration at the moment. On Hold.

Haunted

Chapter Two: Reckless

The first week back at Hogwarts passed in a blur. For Ariana classes seemed shorter every day but, however; the homework she had to endure was exhausting and on top of that she had Head Girl duties every night, this made it impossible for her to get any time for herself, and it also made it impossible for her to talk to Mikael. By the time the weekend had finally arrived Ariana was beat. It was now Saturday morning and our four Gryffindors were having breakfast.

Ariana stifled a yawn and reached for the butter, lazily spreading the blobs of butter on her toast before putting the piece of warm piece of bread into her mouth.

"Honestly Ariana you're going to kill yourself this year. With all your advanced classes you get double the homework as everyone else on top of that you're the Head Girl." Said Rose concerned, her strawberry blonde hair falling into her eyes as she took a bite of her apple.

Ariana frowned; "I know, but there is nothing to be done about it now. Besides, I like challenging myself."

"Sweetie, that's not a challenging yourself, that's you being completely naïve and slowly destroying yourself. I see how every morning when you wake up you have dark circles under your eyes meaning you didn't sleep that much."

"I never sleep that much anyway Rose. Insomnia remember?"

Rose frowned and turned her attention back to her plate, feeling defeated. "Perhaps Rose has a point Ariana, you don't look too good." Now was Liam's turn to voice his thoughts.

"I know guys ok! I know! But like I said there's nothing to be done about my classes, the deadline for changing has already passed the week before school started. Besides, I'm fine really. I'm Ariana Lyall and there's nothing school wise I can't do! Now if you excuse I have unfinished homework to attend to." She excused herself from the table and headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

"Well at least she hasn't lost her grim sense of humor." Liam commented and the other two laughed.

"She'll be fine guys; this is Ariana we're talking about, the smartest girl in our year she'll pull through." Mikael said.

"If you say so Mikael, I'm just worried about her. Don't complain to me when she collapses from exhaustion or starts bleeding out of her nose." Rose commented.

As the trio finished their meal the owls started arriving. They received their letters from their families, quietly opening them and skimming through. "I'll give Ariana's hers, I'm finished anyway." Liam started, as he went on his way to the common room.

"What a miracle he's not going to eat more." Rose giggled to Mikael.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Liam arrived in the common room to find it was completely empty. "Ariana?" Liam than saw a flash of white in the corner of his eyes, he turned around and saw that there was nothing there. Liam frowned she said she was coming back to the common room, where could she be? "Ariana?" he asked again more loudly this time. "Ari.."

"Yes?" she finally answered at the top of the stair case that headed up to the dormitories.

"Oh you're there. I thought I saw…..never mind this came for you." He said waving the letter in the air.

"Oh thank you." She replied descending the staircase.

She took the envelope from him and gave him a small smile. "Are the others still in the Great Hall?" she asked.

"Yes, but I reckon they'll be up here soon. Ariana we were thinking of taking a stroll down the lake and try feeding the giant squid, do you want to come with?"

"I don't think so, sorry Liam. I have a lot of homework to catch up and I still have to write Snape's essay for Monday."

"You're no fun Ariana all you do is study, you should really try having fun now and then."

"Fun? You mean like going with you and Mikael to prank the Slytherins and first years or doing something completely stupid and reckless like trying to feed a giant squid? I don't think so." Ariana pointed out as she giggled.

The others joined in the room along with some other Gryffindors coming back from breakfast. They asked Ariana the same question as Liam asked her but she declined once more, claiming if she didn't finish most of her homework today she would never be able to finish it tomorrow.

"Come on Mikael! You don't wanna, be late the squid will be mad! This is a ritual you know!" Liam teased.

"Go on without me, I'll be there shortly." He laughed.

Mikael turned around and saw that Ariana was sitting in the table in the corner of the common room focused on something, a piece of parchment she was holding. He realized it was the letter she had received from earlier.

"Is it from them?" Mikael asked, coming to tower over her now.

Ariana looked up at him, "Who else would it be from?" she asked quite annoyed that Mikael was always intruding in her private manors.

"What did they say this time, or should I say threatened?" He asked firmly, not caring that she was annoyed and giving him death glares.

"Nothing Mikael, they just want to make sure I'm behaving as usual." She sighed.

When Mikael tried to take the letter away from her, Ariana smacked his hand away quite painfully it seemed because Mikael winced and glared at her. He attempted to glance over the paper but Ariana quickly did a none-verbal spell on the piece of parchment and the words disappeared.

"What's your problem?" Mikael asked harshly.

"Well I don't rudely try to read or snitch your letters away from you, so why should you do the same?" she snarled at him.

"Bloody hell I'm just trying to help you Ariana! Why do you so desperately try to keep me out all the time? Unlike the others I know your little secret, I know what you go through so what's the point of hiding it any further?"

"First of all, I don't need to show anything to you or confess anything. What are my private manors are my private matters to deal with; it's my problem not yours Mikael, not yours and no one else's, its mine to deal with alone! Also, you don't tell me everything! It's clear that you're hiding something from me, you don't trust me to tell me your secrets so why should I tell you mine?" She barked at him.

Mikael sighed knowing she was right; he hasn't been completely honest with her. He ran his hand through his pale golden hair and starred off into space. Should I tell her? Would she understand? He thought to himself.

"I'll tell you when you begin to trust me more." He finally stated, and stormed out of the common room.

Ariana frowned; no doubt Mikael was mad at her but to her defense he did step out of line. Who was he to demand her to show him the letter? Whatever he doesn't understand she thought.

The day carried on with Ariana locked in her dormitory studying and finishing her homework. Every now and then her mind would wonder to the argument she had earlier with Mikael or to her Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

"If you ever need anything or need to talk to someone I'd like you to know that my doors are open at any time." She remembered when Lupin had said that to her the first night. "Was he being serious? I've never had a Professor be so concerned with me before, also he barely knows me….Well it's only natural, now that I think of it he did mention he cares about the well-fare of his students.

The other days in his class had gone quite cheering for Ariana. They took different lectures on advanced dark magic and when Professor Lupin would ask a question of course Ariana's hand was the first hand to shoot up in the air. He often choose her to answer his questions but from time to time he like to choose on other students to see if they knew the material as well. Ariana took the hint after a while and began not raising her hand as often, letting the other students try to answer. But despite Lupin's grand lectures half of the class was never interested or paid any attention, so obviously when Professor Lupin called on those students they didn't know the answer. Then he was forced to call on Ariana, much to his pleasure one could say. Of course, Ariana would always have the right answer and Lupin would always give her a heart-warming smile and congratulate her. That's something that Ariana just could get out of her head, his smile.

Ariana tried to get back to her studies but needless to say she found it to be futile; she could not concentrate anymore so she decided to take a break for a while. Ariana glanced outside though the window and noticed it was pitch black dark already. Her friends had come back quite a while ago but since she was too deep and lost in her Potions essay she had not realized, it just dawned to her now how rude she must have been Rose. Rose tried talking to her this late afternoon and Ariana had paid her no attention. She looked over to Rose's bed and realized she was a sleep along with the other girls.

Finally putting her books away, Ariana changed into some sweat pants and a light hoodie as she decided to go for a walk around the castle's grounds.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Professor Lupin sat at his office grading some last minute papers from his Advanced seventh year class. He smiled when he got Ariana Lyall's essay, he could see how why she was top of her class. "She is one of the most dedicated and intelligent students I ever met, such potential." He smiled to himself. She's so smart and beautiful Professor Lupin though. Beautiful? Where did that come from?

Well no doubt she's beautiful; don't tell me you haven't noticed the way she smiles? The way her long fire red hair cascades around her shoulders when she lets it down? The way her deep blue ocean eyes sparkle when she gets the answer correct in your class? The darker, animal side of Lupin said.

No she's my student! I can't have any wrong thoughts about her! Remus shook his head.

But you already have. The animal within him snickered.

Nevertheless, she is my student and it is wrong for me to think such things. I will not succumb to the beast inside of me just because she is beautiful.

Frustrated with himself, Lupin decided it would be nice to take a stroll outside the castle for some fresh air.

As Lupin was walking outside the castle's grounds he heard a faint scream coming from the Forbidden Forest. Realizing it must be a student in trouble he broke into a run and headed towards the forest.

Ariana was fighting off multiple dementors at once or at least trying to; out of all the times her Patronus had to fail of course it would fail when she was in dire need of it most. "Expecto Patronum." She said more weakly now, but to her surprise a giant amount of light had covered the field. Unfortunately, this amazing Patronus was not coming from her wound. She turned around to see Professor Lupin walking slowly towards her with his wand pointed at the dementors; the light was coming from his wand. Great the damsel in distress rescued again by her Professor, sure he must think I'm a moron now she frowned.

Once the dementors were clearing the area Professor Lupin grabbed Ariana's arm and pulled her to him. "Quick!" he shouted, pulling her along.

Once out of the Forbidden Forest and out of danger the two slowed down their pace and Professor Lupin let go of her arm. "What were you thinking?" he yelled at her.

"I understand you cannot sleep well and sometimes you have the urge to walk around at night but that does not give you reason what so ever to wonder to the Forbidden Forest with a killer on the loose and dementors about every corner of the castle!" he continued yelling at her as they reached his classroom.

"I…I'm sorry Professor I didn't…"

"Sorry? For heaven's sake Miss Lyall you may be the most brilliant student in your class but sometimes you can be quite doltish."

She lowered her head to the ground, finding her shoes quite interesting.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean to yell at you in such a way, but what you did was very irresponsible Miss Lyall." He said in a kinder tone now.

"I know it was I'm sorry professor it won't happen again."

"Good." He nodded. "Not to interfere, but what exactly were you doing in the Forbidden Forest at this hour?"

"I was just wondering around as usual sir. Sneaking out of the castle has become a habit of mine you see, when I can't sleep I find walking under the night sky to be helpful, only I was so deep in thought that I did not realize I was in the Forbidden Forest, and I also completely forgot about the dementors I'm sorry sir it was rather reckless of me."

"Well next time you feel like wondering about please do not go out of the castle after late hours unaccompanied. If you feel you must wonder stay in the castle, at least for now until it can be said that Hogwarts is once again a safe place, or Sirius Black is captured. And if you so desire you can even come to my class Miss Lyall, we don't have to talk but if you ever feel that you need time alone you can always come sit here I won't bother you I promise." He offered.

At this Ariana looked up. "Really?" she asked in a small voice.

"If you wish to do so yes." He finally smiled at her.

God I missed that smile she thought to herself. Gaah what am I saying? HE'S MY TEACHER! For goodness sake stop thinking such things Ariana this will only end up badly. She argued with herself.

"Are you alright Miss Lyall? You looked rather flushed." Professor Lupin said.

"What? Oh yes, yes I'm fine Professor." As soon as she said those words she knew she was not by any means fine. Not because of the obvious fact that she was blushing and their conversation was once again awkward, Ariana actually didn't feel quite healthy. Well it's to be expected when you were fighting so many dementors and a few of them…..Ariana did not have the time to finish her thought however, because straight to the floor she went. Luckily, Lupin caught her just in time before her head hit the floor.

A few moments later Ariana began to wake. She slowly opened her eyes to reveal a blurry surrounding around her. As she began to focus more she noticed she was laying down in something quite soft and that she was no longer in Professor's Lupin's classroom.

"Good you're awake." She heard his voice and began sitting up. "That's it sit up, slowly now." He said placing his arm around her waist for balance.

She followed his request and sat up slowly. "Where am I?" she asked.

"In my private quarters." He answered her.

So this is what his room looks like she thought looking around. Than realization just dawned to her, she was in HIS bed. Ariana immediately blushed after realizing she was just lying in Lupin's bed and the proximity of them was much to close.

Lupin also realized this and blushed, taking his arm away from her and putting some safe distance between the two. "Here eat this it helps, it really helps." He handed her a bar of chocolate in which she gladly took it.

"Do you always have chocolate with you?" she asked.

"As a matter a fact yes, I keep just for situations like this." He smiled at her.

"Thank you." She whispered, afraid to find her own voice.

"You're welcome." He replied.

After a few moments of silence Ariana finally decided to move herself from his bed, only she tried to get up quite fast and had to sit down again, feeling dizzy still.

"Stay seated for now Miss Lyall, I don't think you're ready to walk just yet."

"But….I'm in your bed Professor." She said quite embarrassed.

Lupin laughed, he actually laughed. "That's' quite alright Miss Lyall I won't be needing it any time soon." He smiled once more and she blushed even more furiously.

Then, the two were back to the same awkward silence again, neither wanted to make eye contact again. Finally, after what seemed like endless moments, Ariana decided to speak again to break the uncomfortable silence.

"Professor… can I ask you something?"

"Of course." He replied.

"Why is it that my Patronus charm didn't work this time? I was doing so well in your class this week when we had to practice but tonight it didn't work for me why?" she asked.

"Well I do remember you telling me you used a feeling last time Miss Lyall, did you not use the same feeling this time?"

"I did. Only…"

"Only what?"

"Only I didn't felt as confident this time. In the feeling that is…it's rather hard to explain. I guess I didn't feel as confident in the feeling that I had used before because I thought the feeling was wrong to begin with."

"It sounds to me like you do not believe in yourself Miss Lyall or rather your feeling. Memories are more common and easy to use though, why don't you try to use a memory instead" he suggested.

"Well I don't really have any happy memories aside from when I'm with my friends but even that didn't work." She explained.

"Sure you do. Everyone has a happy memory he or she can choose from. Perhaps you're not exploring your past adequately"

"Oh trust me I am Professor. I have tried tons of different memories but none of them work. I guess they're just not powerful enough. Besides the memories with my friends at Hogwarts I don't really have any others."

Lupin starred at her for a second, how could she not have any other memories? Is her life really that unhappy? He wondered.

"Well in that case I suggest you just go with the feeling for now. As a matter of interest what feeling was it, can you describe it?"

Ariana blushed furiously once more. Oh shit what do I tell him now? I can't say I've been using the feeling I had since I met him on the train the night. Ariana wracked her brain for a lie but couldn't think one.

"What is it Miss Lyall?"

"It's just that…well it's embarrassing and silly Professor. Besides, I don't think I can really explain."

"Nonsense, any happy or positive feeling is nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, I reckon that the witch or wizard that can use a feeling to conjure a Patronus instead of having to think of a memory, he or she must be quite powerful." He paused. "And you are Miss Lyall. You're quite a brilliant and powerful witch for your age." He smiled.

"Thank you Professor but you really won't think I'm brilliant after you hear what feeling I chose." She blushed once more.

"Try me." He encouraged her.

"I... I used a feeling I can't really name it... It was like a cold yet warm air in the pit of my stomach. I had this... this feeling back in the train. When... when you first introduced yourself to us." She finally said.

Professor Lupin just started at her blankly, confused by what she meant. When we first met? Why would she... could she really? No, it's not possible.

"So you used the same feeling and didn't work for you this time?" He asked.

She nodded quickly not making eye contact.

"Interesting." He mused. "I'm afraid I do not have an answer for you right now Miss Lyall, but we'll figure out something." He smiled at her kindly.

How can he be so…calm? Did he not just hear I had some random feeling of when we met that night on the train and that I've been using it to conjure a Patronus? She thought.

"Do you feel any better?" he asked her.

Ariana was startled from her thoughts, making her look up at him. "Oh yes I do. Thank you Professor."

"Then perhaps we should get you back to your common room, after all it is rather late."

"Of course, thank you again Professor." She made her way to leave.

"Now wait a minute I'm going to walk you back of course." He shouted after her. "After all, we can't have you running off or fainting again can we?" he smiled at her.

Ariana just simply nodded and followed him. Why does he always have to smile that way?

They walked back in silence, the journey seemed to be a never ending one and as much as Ariana loved to spend time with Lupin she needed to get away from him, she was afraid she might say something else that was completely stupid and reckless. It was just like her, never to think before saying something or doing something completely daft.

"I leave you in safe grounds now Miss Lyall; please do not go sneaking off on your own again." He pleaded with her.

"I won't sir."

"Good night than Miss Lyall."

"Good night sir.' She bound and took her leave through the portrait whole.

After she was safe from Lupin's presence she took an exhausting exhale and made her way back to her bed. What was I thinking? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! She smacked her forehead. What will Professor Lupin think of me now? Argh I wish I could go back in time and preventing myself for walking into the Forbidden Forest. He must think I'm so childish! First, he had to rescue me once more from the dementors. Then, I literately fainted in his arms and afterwards I just go off and say something completely stupid like "I used a feeling I can't really name it. It was like a cold yet warm air in the pit of my stomach. I had this feeling back in the train, when you first introduced yourself to us." Ariana repeated her voice in her head, only much more girlish and squeaky to make fun of herself. How much more dense can I get? Errrr Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

She got under the covers and started out at the little space that the crescent moonlight shined through the window, the only strain of window that wasn't covered by the long red curtains of the Gryffindor girl's dormitory. I can't believe I said that. I can't believe I said. For a long time Ariana just laid still in bed beating herself up for the night's events that took place with her DADA professor.

Back in Lupin's room…

He could not stop thinking about what Ariana said to him. He finally changed to his sleeping garments and made himself comfortable in his bed. What could she have meant by that? Could it be that Ariana has some feelings for me? He allowed himself to be asked that question. No, impossible. After all she is just my student, she would never think of me in such a way. I bet it was just a funny consequence Lupin tried to tell himself, but deep down inside he knew there was more to it. Having said that, Lupin did not believe that Ariana could hold any type of feelings for him other than…friendship? Whatever bond the two of them had, He was sure that it did not extend pass friendship. He knew that a girl like Ariana would never choose someone so old and poor looking like him.

Frustrated even more by his feelings Lupin forced his eyes shut and rolled over into the other pillow in his bed. He buried his face in the other pillow, trying to clear his mind when he smelt something different. It was the faint smell of her perfume. It smelled like strawberries and pure innocence. The wolf inside of him growled, loving the sweet and tormenting smell, the smell of an innocent prey. It was a scent the wolf was too familiar with, a scent in which he was very fond of, only better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yaaay finally chapter two is done! Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as much I loved writing it. I'm sorry if this chapter seemed short or rushed, I had a very busy week and I wanted to upload another chapter quickly for you wonderful readers. I promise I'll only have longer chapters from now on. Also, same as before, my schedule really is tight so it'll take me a while before I can upload again. But fear not I will never give up! There will always be time for writing in my busy life! Lol

On a another note I've posted two links on my main author page. In those links are a video trailer kind of thing for this story, and in the second one it's a bookcover I made for this story so go check those out. It'll make me really happy….. come one who's you favorite author now? *crickets….* -_-'

Anyways, I'll try to have chapter 3 up as soon as I can.

Xoxo Tchao!