Status: I'm so sorry i haven't updated in forever. I am just plain stuck in this story and have no inspiration at the moment. On Hold.

Haunted

Chapter Five: The Truth?

“I know you’re a werewolf.”
Arianna eyes went wide as saucers upon hearing this and once more panic began to envelop her. He knows…he knows! Her mind was screaming at her to run but her body wouldn’t move. She finally gathered up the courage to move, Arianna got up as fast as she could, starling her Professor in the process and bolted out of his classroom.
“Arianna! Arianna wait!” Lupin yelled after her.
Arianna heard him yell behind her but she didn’t stop, she just kept running faster. Once she reached the stairs she looked back to see if Professor Lupin was still following her, there was no sign of him. She sighed in relief, happy he gave up on pursuing her. Arianna turned to descend the stairs but she ran into something, she looked up and there he was staring down at her breathlessly.
“Wait…just wait Arianna please let me explain.” Professor Lupin said as he tried to recover his breath. “Don’t be afraid there’s nothing to be afraid of, your secret is safe with me. Please let us return to my office so we can discuss things better, as you know these walls have ears.” He looked around to gesture to the walls around them.
Arianna said nothing but starred at her Professor. Her mind was running completely blank; she didn’t know what to do. Wasn’t he afraid of her? Wasn’t he repulsed by her now that he knew what she really is?
“Please Arianna; you don’t need to be afraid. I won’t harm you.” Lupin said, reading her thoughts. “As it quite happens I know exactly how you feel.”
“You don’t know how I feel! You couldn’t possibly know what it’s like not to be normal, you don’t know anything about me!” Arianna cried as she tried get pass him, but Lupin wouldn’t let her, not this time. He held her arm with enough force to hold her in place but not enough force to hurt her.
“Let go.” She whimpered, tears threatening to leave her eyes once more. “Let me go please…”
“Arianna listen to me, you don’t have to hide from me I know exactly what you have to go through not just once a month but daily as well. You see, I’m also like you I have been since I was three years old.” He said softly.
At this Arianna stopped struggling against Professor Lupin’s hold and looked up into his eyes. “You…you mean…you’re a werewolf?”
Lupin nodded slightly with a sad smile on his face. “I am afraid so yes. So you see, we are not so far different you and I.”
For the third time that night Arianna wanted to cry, but this time it wasn’t for agony, or fear, she didn’t exactly know why but as she looked into her teacher’s eyes she saw it too. The same loneliness that she bared in her eyes was reflected in his now. He did understand what it was like to be different, he was like her for better or for worse they were the same in a sense of the way. I guess that explained her attraction for him, and the same could be said about Lupin.
“Please let’s go back to my office now. We have a few more things to discuss.”
Arianna nodded slowly, still not believing her favorite teacher was a werewolf. Her next action not only surprised her but Remus as well. She lunged herself at him and enveloped her arms around Professor Lupin’s neck, capturing him in a heart-warming embrace.
Lupin was shocked to say the least; he did not expect Arianna to embrace him in the way that she did. He slowly brought his arms up and circled them around her waist to complete their embrace. Arianna buried her face in the crook of his neck and held him tighter. Remus couldn’t take it much more. Her intoxicating scent was driving him mad as well her small body pressed up against his. The wolf inside of him was going insane; he wanted nothing more than to ravish this beautiful young girl in his arms right then and there. Remus shook himself out of his dangerous thoughts and slowly withdrew himself from her arms.
He lead her back to his office, still insure if he could control himself around her for much longer but he still needed to explain to her a few things, to guide her.
As they reached his classroom Lupin closed the door behind them, making sure to lock it in case someone decided to come lurking around, he couldn’t risk anyone hearing the conversation that was about to be had. Not for his sake and especially not for Arianna’s sake.
“So…” Lupin started, not being sure how to handle this situation. “How long have you been a werewolf?” He finally asked.
“For as long as I can remember.” She replied. “I was born with it. But you see Professor, I’m not like the ordinary werewolf, I’m a hybrid I guess you could say.”
“A hybrid?” Professor Lupin asked.
“Yes. I’m half werewolf, half wolf.” She answered.
Professor Lupin looked at her quite confused. “What…how can you be a wolf?”
“It’s a long story. I was born a wolf, a shape shifter if you will. That transformation I can control at will much like an animagus but it’s in my DNA sort of speak. My family has no clue how I was born this way because no one else in my family carries the jean of being a shape shifter. Before, things were fine when I was just a shape shifter but then…when I was seven, I was attacked by a werewolf.” Arianna replied.
“I see. So you can turn into a regular wolf whenever you please but during the full moon you became a full grown werewolf?” Lupin asked.
”Yes. I don’t mind being different I….I like being a shape shifter, it gives me freedom. I guess that’s one of the reasons my parents hate me so much.” She smirked. “Ever since I was little, I would always run off whenever things were a bit too much to handle, I would run as fast as I could in my wolf form. I loved it! The fresh air running through my fur and the wet grass from morning’s dew, it always gave me peace for a short while. They would come find me though, they always found me.”
Lupin noticed the unspoken sadness in her voice and in her eyes.
“You see, they already didn’t like the fact that I could turn into a wolf willingly but when I became a werewolf…well, things got a lot worse. Being in a pureblood family has its ups and downs.” Arianna joked.
“How old were you when you became a werewolf?”
“I was five years old sir. I was attacked by man named Fenrir Greyback.” Arianna replied.
Lupin looked at her sadly, and then he became angry Greyback was the same one who cursed Lupin to be a werewolf when he was merely a child as well. He already had hatred towards this man, but to know now that a sweet young girl like Arianna also shared the same curse, who was also attacked by the same man he was. This made lupin hate Greyback even more.
“Have you ever told anyone?” Lupin asked.
“No I’ve never told anyone one but my friend Mikael found out I was a werewolf in our fourth year.”
Lupin nodded understanding this, he never told anyone about his fury little problem either but somehow people always found out. He knew what it was like to hide such a secret.
“Arianna….I hate to tell you this…well, maybe you already know but…Dumbledore also knows you’re a werewolf he was the one who told me.” Lupin stated.
“Yeah that doesn’t surprise me. I figured Dumbledore would figure out sooner or later about my problem.”
“However, I don’t think he knows about you being a wolf shifter.”
Arianna nodded. “Will you tell him?” She asked.
Lupin thought about this for a second, he didn’t want Arianna to stop trusting him now that she confessed to him all this information. He knew he had to tell Dumbledore about Norman that much was certain but should he tell him about Arianna being a werewolf hybrid? Would it even matter or be relevant at this point?
“No. I won’t tell him about you being a shape shifter,” He said. “yet anyways. Arianna, you have to understand that I have to let Dumbledore know about Norman, it’s the only way we can protect you and everyone else.”
“I know.” She agreed.
“Thank you for understanding.” Professor Lupin smiled. “Now, tell me how you prepare for the full moon. I see you’re always in class the day before and after the full moon takes place and you don’t look as sickly as I always do.”
“Oh yes, I figure out a way for me to look less ill around the full moon thanks to the help of Mikael. We invented this potion that repairs the before and after effects of the full moon on someone like us.” She replied.
“How interesting.” Lupin said amused. She really is a very bright witch for her young age. She figured out a way to look less suspicious, when I never even thought of it. I wonder if Dumbledore knows just how brilliant this girl, no young women really is. “You really are brilliant Arianna.” He smiled at her.
“Thank you.” Arianna blushed.
“Perhaps…you might be willing to share this potion of yours to an old fool like me.”
“Of course!” She beamed. “But…..you’re not at all old Professor.” Arianna smiled.
“You are very kind.” Lupin laughed slightly. “What about the full moon itself? Do you take wolf’s bane potion?” He asked.
“Sometimes, whenever I can sneak the ingredients out of Snape’s office.” Arianna smirked.
“How did I know you were going to say that?” Lupin leered. “Where do you go when you can’t get a hold of wolf’s bane?”
Arianna dropped the grin on her face and answered: “That’s where I’m not so brilliant Professor, I just go to the forbidden forest and get as far away from the castle as I can. I thought about locking myself in the Shrieking Shack but I was too afraid that a student would go lurking around or something. I didn’t want anyone getting hurt…”
Lupin nodded, understanding full well of the fear of hurting, killing or even turning someone during the transformation. It’s something both of them couldn’t live with. Remus was always afraid when he was younger and his friends would run with him to the Shrieking Shack in their animagus forms.
“I understand full well that feeling.” Lupin half smiled kindly. “But Arianna, you can’t just run around in the forest while you are a werewolf, and being so far away from the castle is worse. What if something happens while you are a werewolf? You could get hurt.” He said worried.
“Yes well I don’t have much of a choice in the matter do I Professor? What about you? What do you do during the full moon?”
“I always take the potion if I have position of it and lock myself in the Shrieking Shack either way. I’m thankful that Professor Snape is providing me with the wolf’s bane potion ever month; even know he is a complete prat at times.”
Arianna smiled at this.
“I will talk to Dumbledore tonight after dinner.” Lupin said now serious. “It is best for him to decide what cautions to take during the full moon for you…for us.”
“Do you think that we will be bound together in the Shrieking Shack?”
“You know we won’t. Two werewolves locked together are much too dangerous. All though you cannot run wild in the Forbidden Forest, I think that perhaps….maybe I should, well let’s not speak of this now, Dumbledore will know what arrangements will be best. I suspect he will want to talk to us both after I speak to him.”
Arianna nodded in agreement. She didn’t like the idea of speaking to Dumbledore but things were getting out of hand, she knew that, there were no other options. Although, Arianna couldn’t deny the feeling she had at the pit of her stomach. It wasn’t a good one at that either, she feared something foul, wicked was coming and she couldn’t help but feel guilty. Two werewolves at Hogwarts held a promising danger to everyone. She was afraid Professor Lupin was going to play the price. Would Dumbledore fire him? No, I don’t think he would fire him per say but….
“Professor….I…I’m afraid.” Arianna said. “You are right, two werewolves are far too dangerous what if you….I think I should leave Hogwarts.”
“What? No Arianna! You will not leave! Dumbledore will provide safety for the both of us and everyone else. You will finish this school year as you’re supposed to. I’m sure we can arrange another Shrieking Shack if nothing else, If there is no other way than I shall go.”
“No Professor. I don’t want you to….you shouldn’t leave because of me you’ve only just started teaching. If you leave how will you require another job?” Arianna exclaimed.
“You are far too kind Arianna.” Lupin smiled. “You shouldn’t worry though; I don’t think I’ll leave unless there is need. Even if I have to I’ll manage, I always have. I’m used to it by now.”
“Yes but you shouldn’t have to for my cause Professor. This is all entirely my fault.” Arianna gasped.
“No it isn’t. Arianna…” Lupin paused as he took two long strides approaching her, now he stood in front of her, towering her. He reached his hand to stroke her cheek and tucked her hair strains back away from her face. “Don’t be so hard on yourself. You take the blame for everything. You carry everyone’s rocks on your shoulders including your own.”
Arianna’s breath caught in her throat. He was so close to her now his touch lingered upon her face. She could feel her cheeks warming, butterflies forming in her stomach yet again. She did not realized her face getting closer to his until she felt Professor Lupin’s hot breath dangling on her chin. He was leaning closer to her now, their lips almost touching. Arianna closed her eyes as did Lupin, their lips were touching lightly, merely grazing upon each other.
Professor Lupin then snapped his eyes open, coming to his senses. He quickly withdrew from her and ut some safe distance between them two. “I’m sorry I…I didn’t mean to Ari...Miss Lyall. I believe we have discussed all that need be for tonight. I shall retire until dinner and so should you Miss Lyall. Please, return to your common room.” And with that Professor Lupin quickly opened the classroom door again and took his leave to his headquarters, leaving Arianna rotted to the spot.

Later that night Arianna and her friends were making their way back to the common room from dinner.
“Ah man I can’t believe we have to be back in the common room already. I feel like a first year all over again.” Liam whined.
“Don’t you find it interesting that we have tighter curfews now? I mean I know Sirius Black is on the loose and all but we already had the castle tight down and dementors about every corner.” Rose pointed out. “Don’t you think it’s weird Arianna?”
“I guess.” Arianna shrugged.
“You’re not mad that I’m filling in your spot for head girl now are you?” asked Rose.
“I’m not mad Rose, I know it’s not your fault.” Arianna gave Rose a smile.
“Good I’m glad I was so afraid you were going to be mad at me. I told Dumbledore I didn’t want to do it because you were my friend but he insisted, I mean it’s not like it’s for the rest of the year.” Rose rambled.
“See I told you she wouldn’t be mad.” Said Liam.
The trio sat down on the Gryffindor couch and continued to talk.
“So what did Professor Lupin wanted with you after class?” Liam asked.
“What?” Arianna asked startled, not paying attention to the conversation.
“Whhaat diiiiid Professssoooorr Luuuupin want with yoooouuu after class?” Liam dragged his sentence in a mocking tone.
“Oh. He just wanted to make sure I was ok and that I was caught up in all my school work.’ Arianna replied.
Liam laughed.
“What?” Arianna asked annoyed.
“You are such a teacher’s pet.”
“Am not.” Arianna protested.
“Are too!”
“Oh Liam leave her be.” Rose barked at him. “Arianna is not in the mood for your childishness right now.”
“You girls are no fun.” Liam grumbled.
Mikael walked up to the three sitting down awkwardly and asked; “Hey Arianna…um I was wondering if we could talk.” He said while shifting his weight nervously.
Arianna looked up at him. “Sure.” She stood up and went with Mikael.
“Oh I think they’re going to make up.” Said Rose happily.
“Well it’s about bloody time! I couldn’t take another awkward silence moment whenever Mikale and Arianna are in the same room with us, ignoring each other.” Liam complained.
“You know, you are such git sometimes.”
“That’s why you love me.” Liam smirked.
“What? I do not!” Rose blushed. “I put up with you there’s a difference.” Rose smiled lightly.
“Oh dragon’s balls, you love me and you know it.” Liam leaned in and put an arm around her.
Rose blushed more furiously. “Whatever.”
~//~
“So….how are you?’ Mikael asked.
“I’m fine thanks. What about you?” Arianna replied.
“Good. Listen I wanted to apologize to you. I’ve been a complete prat to you lately.”
“It’s all right. I wanted to apologize to you too, I haven’t exactly been the nicest friend either. I know you just want to look out for me and I’m sorry I’ve been so rude. Our friendship means a lot to me and I hope we can start over.” Arianna confessed.
“Me too. Listen can we just forget about that night…the whole kissing thing? Pretend it never happen?” Mikael suggested.
“I can do that.” Arianna smiled.
“Friends?”
“The best.” Arianna grinned. Mikael smiled and hugged her.
“I’m so glad we that past us now. I couldn’t handle another day of you ignoring me.” Said Arianna.
“Likewise, and I promise to be less nosy.” Mikael stated.
“And I shall promise to nicer when you try to help or show concern.” Arianna offered another smile.
“Deal.” He extended his hand and Arianna gladly took it.

Later that night in Dumbledore’s office…
Lupin’s POV
I informed Dumbledore of everything Arianna told me, well almost everything. Respecting some of her wishes I left out some details like her being a shape shifter. I told him about Norman, the man who is after her, Dumbledore looked surprised.
“Norman you say?” Dumbledore asked me.
I nodded.
“Did she happen to give a description of this man?”
“No.”
“Well, than perhaps we should keep our eyes and ears open at all times wouldn’t say Remus? I hate using the terminology of “watching like hawk stalking its prey”, but I’m afraid we need to keep a close eye on Miss Lyall, a very close eye.”
“Yes of course.” I bowed my head in agreement.
“And let us not forget we still have Sirus Black to deal with also.” Dumbledore gave me a pointed look. “I know this isn’t easy for you Remus, but if Black does indeed return we need to keep another close eye on Mr. Potter.”
“I know sir. Sirius was indeed a close friend of mine in the past but believe me when I say this, I have no pity for him whatsoever Dumbledore. He is the reason James and Lilly are dead.” I said with a sad look.
Dumbledore nodded, giving me a sad smile in return. “Good.” He replied softly.
“I’m afraid Hogwarts isn’t as safe as it used to be wouldn’t you say Remus.”
“Well yes, but then again where is safe now days? If I may sir, I still believe Hogwarts is the safest place to be even with Black, and this Norman character out and about because you’re here sir. I wish I could say that neither man would have the audacity or the bravery to break into the castle but we cannot be certain. Still, I believe that both man would not be foolish enough to cross paths with you on purpose.” I stated.
“That is very kind of you to say Remus; however, I would have to say that old age seems to finally be catching up to me. I do hope you’re right nonetheless.”
“Sir forgive me but, there’s something still eating away at me. You knew Arianna was a werewolf?” I asked.
“That is correct, I did indeed.” Dumbledore answered.
“Why didn’t you say anything before?”
“Well I suppose I wanted you to figure that out for yourself Remus. Being the same…shall we say species for lack of better term? I hoped that you would come in your terms to suspect what Miss Lyall was on your own. “ He simply said.
“I see.” I half whispered. “So what do you intend to do about her transformations?”
“Ah yes. Well it occurs to me that Miss Lyall has been hiding far within the Forbidden Forest am correct?”
“Yes but sir, surely you don’t mean for her to keep going out there alone before vey full moon especially with Norman and Black out there.” I protested.
“Of course not. If the situations were less dire I would say yes but it seems we have yet another problem on our hands.” Dumbledore began pacing back and forth, searching for an answer. “I already asked Severus to make more Wolf’s Bane surely for the both of you. And I will ask you this Remus, during the full moon please keep Arianna close to you if not in the Shrieking Shrank or your office together.”
“Together sir? But, that’s quite dangerous what if…” Dumbledore raised his hand to interrupt my thoughts.
“You’ll both be under the Wolf’s Bane potion so you will keep your human mind during the transformation. I am not even a fraction worried Remus. Arianna is quite a smart girl and as you said she has found a way to look less ill around the full moon. She can control herself quite well if I was to assume, I am positive.” Dumbledore said, taking a pause. “And I doubt you won’t be able to control yourself either Remus. Because both of you share the same lycanthropy illness it is more likely the two of you to be closer than to tare each other’s throats.”
That’s not the only thing I was worried about. It’s the very same fact that Arianna is like me that I fear my wolf side will be out of control if I was to be in the same room as her during the full moon, even with the Wolf’s Bane potion. I’m already attracted to her as it is I almost kissed her for bloody hell! What if….I could try to take advantage of her, what if I try to rape her? What if I succeed? I shook the thoughts out of my head.
“But sir the full moon is tomorrow.” My voice trembled full of worry.
“I am quite aware of that Remus, in fact I already send instruction to Miss Lyall to be in your office tomorrow night. Not to worry all will be well I am sure of it trust me.” Dumbledore said.
I wanted to believe him but part of me couldn’t help but feel terribly worried and ick to my stomach.
“I could hurt her.”
“You won’t.” Dumbledore promised.
~//~

After leaving Dumbledore’s office I returned to my own quarters. I sat down running my hand through my hair, worry and fear running through my veins. I couldn’t help but feel uneasy, even with both vials of Wolf’s bane sitting in my desk. I heard a knock on my door, startled I get up and make my way to the door. Who could it be at this hour? I thought.
“Professor….I was uh wondering if you had a minute? I know it’s really late but I can’t sleep.” There stood Arianna looking rather flushed at my classroom door step.
“Yes yes of course, come in.” I opened the door wider and stepped aside for her to walk in.
She nodded thankfully and made her way around me shyly.
“Are you all right? I asked.
“Yeah I just….i was wondering if you had talked to Dumbledore?”
I knew she was going to ask this; after all she was nearly hysterical about me telling Dumbledore yesterday. ”Yes we’ve already discussed things. I was under the impression you knew this, Dumbledore said he sent you a notice letter?”
“Indeed he did. It said for me to come seek you out before the full moon.”
“Ah yes. Dumbledore thought it to be best if we were together.” I replied.
“But won’t that be dangerous?”
Yes it will. “I have two vials of Wolf’s Bane potion so we won’t be transforming and Dumbledore has assured me it won’t be dangerous at all.” I said with more certainty, surprising myself.
“Ok.”
Ok? Is that all she has to say? Doesn’t she understand the fact that we’re both werewolves is the reason we’re so…awkwardly attracted to each other? What am I saying? Just because I’m attacked to my student doesn’t mean she is attacked to me. She tried to kiss you as well. I would say the fondness is mutual. The wolf within me argued. I shook my head, trying to once more eliminate my thoughts.
“To be honest professor, I’m actually kind of nervous.” She finally stated breaking the silence. “You see I…I know that we will be under the Wolf’s Bane potion and I know it won’t be dangerous, but well….I don’t say or do anything stupid. You know being tomorrow night is the full moon and well I have impulses. And… I mean apteral we would still transform. Two werewolves locked in a room during the full moon, even under wolf’s bane…I’m sorry sir but it doesn’t sound too safe. I mean…I still could…” Arianna said as she looked down at her shoes.
“Don’t worry. Dumbledore is absolutely positive nothing will happen. And like you said you’ve said yourself, you’ve taken wolf’s bane before. You know as well as I do there’s no danger if we’re locked with each other.” I smiled reassuringly, trying to convince myself as well.
She nodded awkwardly opening her mouth to say something but then closing it again. “I don’t think you know what I mean sir.” Arianna finally said.
“I don’t?” I asked her curiously.
“It’s not me being angry or attacking you that I’m worried about.”
“Than what is it?”
Arianna blushed and looked down. What could it be that’s got this girl so flustered? “I’m not supposed to like you.” She said barely audible. You see Remus, the girl clearly has an infatuation for you just you have for her. The wolf inside me smirked.
“That’s exactly what I was worried about.” I said out loud not meaning to.
She quickly looked up at me then looked away, blushing again. “I’m sorry I didn’t…”
I reached out and stroked her cheek, surprising myself. “I’m not supposed to like you either.” I said, surprising myself even further.
She looked up a me again, that’s when I saw it. In her eyes held a certain sparkle to it that I had not seen before, she almost looked…..happy? For the third time that day my stomach turned, but this time it wasn’t an awful feeling. This time it was more of a mix between nervousness and relief. Why do I feel this way? How can I like my student more than I’m supposed to?
I leaned closer to her and she to me, our bodies almost touching. This is wrong. I could feel her breath in my face as she closed her eyes, she looked so beautiful. My entire body was burning in desire to taste her lips. This is wrong! Our lips were barely touching now, her nose grazed against mine and I could feel the warmth of her body starting to envelop me. Stop!
I kissed her. I could feel her little hands travel up to my shoulders in a shy attempt to grab a hold of me. Her lips tasted of sweet strawberries. Stop it! My hands found themselves on her waste, pulling her closer to me. This is wrong! You have to stop this now! My tongue begged her for an entry and she allowed it. I kissed her fully, pouring all my passion in the kiss. Her arms finally went around my neck bringing our bodies even closer together. I could feel my arousal coming on. Enough!
And just as quick as our kissed started it was over. I rapidly pulled myself away from her as if she was the plague. “Arianna I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…I”
“No I’m the one who should be sorry I shouldn’t have said that, I shouldn’t have kissed you like that. I know it’s wrong but I can’t help it Professor, I like you. In a way I’m not supposed to I know it’s wrong and you probably think I’m just some tiddy horny schoolgirl but I didn’t mean to I swear it! Oh my god I’m so sorry Professor.” Arianna ranted.
“Stop apologizing this is not your fault Arianna I shouldn’t have….you can’t what you feel.” I finally said. “Anyways it’s best if we keep this to ourselves aye?”
She nodded quickly.
I walked over to her again taking her head in my hands. “You don’t know what you do to me Arianna, you make me feel things I never knew were possible.” I whispered huskily to her. “It’s so wrong yet it feels so right.”
“I know what you mean. When I’m with you it’s like all my senses from right and wrong are shut off, you make me feel alive Professor.” There is that term again.
I smiled sweetly to her. “Perhaps, maybe when we’re alone you could drop the ‘professor’ title? If I’m already breaking all the rules I don’t like to be constantly remind of it, besides I think we’re past formality wouldn’t you say?”
“What do I call you then?” She smiled in return.
“When we’re alone you may call me Remus.” I answered her.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Ok so I realized that the wolf's bane potion only allows the werewolf to keep his/hers human mind but they'll still transform. So there's been a few changes in this chapter and the next.