Status: I'm so sorry i haven't updated in forever. I am just plain stuck in this story and have no inspiration at the moment. On Hold.

Haunted

Chapter Seven: The Black Dog

Arianna’s POV
As I rushed back to Professor Lupin’s office I couldn’t help but feel the butterflies flow through my stomach again. Why did he have such an effect on me? I mean seriously I had bigger things to worry about! It’s like my mind and stupid body can’t help it. Ugh since when did I become such a hormonal teenager? This is was getting ridiculous! For one he was my teacher, and he is also much older than me. Well…I mean, after all we’re both werewolves so the attraction is natural right?
I shook my thoughts away as I reached his classroom. The door was slightly open so I knock on the door frame gently as peered through. “Professor? Professor Lupin?” I asked.
“Yes. Come in.” He answered.
“I brought your potion.” I said handing him the vile.
“Ah. Thank you.” He opened the vile taking a sniff first.
“I thought you trusted me?” I smirked.
“I do. I was just curious what ingredients you used.” He offered me a smile.
“Well I don’t kiss and tell.” I smirked again and he raised an eyebrow at me. I don’t kiss and tell? What the bloody hell is wrong with me? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid Stupid!
“Don’t worry it’s safe and to prove it I brought my own so I cold drink first if you want.” I said biting my lip. Merlin I have to stop that habit!
“I was only teasing Arianna, like I said I trust you. Seeing that I was never really that good in potions in my young years, well and still today honestly, I was merely curious on how you came up with such a potion to no only make us feel better after the full moon but to look extremely healthy as well.” He replied.
“Oh. Well it wasn’t that hard really if you’re familiar with ingredients and pay attention in Snape’s class. He might be a bully of a teacher but if people actually listened to him they would learn a lot.” I said shrugging.
“I guess not even the brightest student is fond of Professor Snape.” He chuckled.
I smiled, blushing.
“Well I suppose there’s no harm…” Professor Lupin said trailing off before he gulped my potion down. “Hmm tastes a lot like peppermint tea.” He commented and I nodded.
“Yes I added some pepper mint leaves to give taste.” I said proudly. “There’s also Rosemary, Ginger roots, black elder flowers, juniper berries, fluxweed, and unicorn hair.”
Professor Lupin eyeballed me in amusement. “I’ll say it again. You really are the brightest witch of your age Arianna.” He smiled and I blushed once more.
Professor Lupin went to set the vile down and I noticed he winced and moved his right arm in circular motions, grabbing his right shoulder with his left hand.
I frowned. “Are you all right Professor?”
“Oh yes. I just uh…I must have twisted my shoulder.” He said sheepishly.
“Why don’t I believe you?” I scowled.
“I’m fine really.” He repeated.
Than something dawned upon me, a vague memory flashed through my mind from last night. I bit him. For a slight moment I lost control, I don’t know how it never happened before while I was under wolf’s bane, but than again I was never locked with another werewolf before.
I remember as our wolves form rolled on the floor for brief moments. I remember the other wolf whining as I bit down on his flesh. Panic arose within me. I bit him….I fucking bit my professor.
“I…I bit you!” I gasped.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dumbledore’s Office
“And you are sure it was a good idea?” Snape asked.
“Yes Severus. Remus is perfectly capable of taking care of Miss Lyall.” Dumbledore replied. “They after all, as you say the same species.”
Snape raised an eyebrow at the headmaster, silencing questioning him. “Of course. You may recall, there was a time where Lupin was best friends with Black.”
“Yes I remember Severus.”
“Do really think it is wise? That Lupin is the best choice to watch over the girl?” Snape inquired.
“Oh certainly I do. We mustn’t judge a man for his past. I thought you of all people would have learned this by now Severus. And forgive me, but since when did you become so interested in Miss Lyall’s well-being? You don’t worry for Mr. Potter in the same manner.” Dumbledore questioned him. Snape’s lip curled ever so quickly that you’d have to slow down time to have seen it.
“She is still my student, and with great displeasure I must say she’s one of the best.” Snape simply said.
“Ah yes, when the student is ready, the master appears.” Dumbledore smiled.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in Lupin’s classroom
“I…I bit you.” I gasped.
“Arianna please…” He begged me with his hands raised.
“No! I bit you….I…I fucking bit you.” I spat, tears forming in my eyes. I was finding difficulty breathing. Oh great all I need now is another panic attack. Breathe Arianna breathe. I instructed myself.
“It’s all right.” He said.
“No it most certainly is not all right! I bit you Professor!” I began breathing heavily, almost gasping for air. “I bit you.” I whispered. “Don’t you think I know what this means?” I asked panting. He made his way over to me waving his wand at the door to his classroom, locking it. He casted muffliato on the room so we couldn’t be heard and grabbed a hold of my shoulders in an attempt to calm me down, but it didn’t work I was still hyperventilating.
“Shh it’s all right. Breathe just breath Arianna.”
I followed his instructions and attempted to breath normally.
“That’s right, deep breaths come now.” He instructed me rubbing my arms. I looked up at him with moist eyes, I must look pathetic right now. “It’s all right it wasn’t your fault.” He told me.
“But…I…Professor…don’t you know what it means if a werewolf bites another werewolf?” I stuttered.
He chuckled. He actually chuckled! Was he mad? Didn’t he know that by me biting him the beast inside of me made him my mate? This is serious! How could he find this so amusing?
“I assure you it’s not as black and white as you think.”
“What do you mean?” I asked confused.
“Well I assume you think your werewolf side wants me as your mate?” he asked. I nodded and he gave a small laugh again. “Well it doesn’t quite work that way only the male werewolf has the power to mark the female as his.” He said. Really? Wait how come I didn’t know this.
“Are you sure?” I asked.
“Positive.” He answered. I thought about it and it made sense. How could I be so stupid. I signed in relief but was soon panicking again.
“But I hurt you professor!” I exclaimed.
“Don’t worry. I’m not as fragile as you may think.” He smiled. “Besides, I’ve been hurt worse believe me.”
I nodded biting my lip once more. “Still…I’m sorry.” I said.
“Stop worrying about it! And that is an order.” He teased me tapping my nose with his index finger.
Suddenly the butterflies were back. I bit the inside of my bottom lip harder and felt the heat flush through my cheeks. Oh for merlin’s sake! Why do I have to be so doltish?
I felt his fingertips brush lightly against the side of my neck, making all the hair at the back of my neck stand up. There was warmth spreading in my stomach that went all the way down to my toes. I silently prayed for his lips on mine. I was really tired of fighting my body’s urges in spite of how wrong all of this is, and suddenly I wish we were connected. I wish I really did make a bond with him.
“I kind of wish we were bonded after all.” Oh my god! Could I really just have said that? He crooked his head to the side and looked at me puzzled. I really am thick. I can’t believe I just voiced my thoughts out loud; it was like word-vomit. Bloody hell!
My thoughts were quickly forced to a halt as I felt his warm lips against mine.
~//~
“Be careful what you wish for.” Lupin said breathlessly after their lips separated. Arianna opened her mouth to question what he meant by that but was soon interrupted by Lupin’s lips again.
She moaned softly into his kiss as his tongue massaged her own. Slowly, she moved closer to him taking a hold of his robes while she tilted her head to deepen the kiss. Arianna felt like she was on cloud nine, she never knew a kiss could taste this wonderful. As soon as the kiss started it abruptly ended when Lupin withdrew himself from her like he always did, leaving a breathless and confused Arianna looking up at him.
“I’m sorry Arianna I shouldn’t have….perhaps it would be best if you were to leave now.”
She bit her lip nervously and slightly nodded. “Perhaps…” She replied, the word lingering in the thick air.
Neither of them moved. Remus knew that they weren’t actually mates but when Arianna bit him last night it stirred something within his wolf half. All moony wanted to do was make her his forever, for her to be forever bounded to him. He knew things were getting far too dangerous between them and yet, he couldn’t help wanting her. The things he felt when she was around he had never felt before in his life. He wanted to protect this beautiful young woman before him, protect her from all the evil that might harm her. He wanted to protect her from all her fears and pain, but most of all he wanted to protect her from himself. As much as it pained him to do so he had to distance himself from her.
“Arianna…this should stop. WE should stop. This can’t happen, this can’t go on any further.” Lupin finally said pointing in between them.
Arianna felt her stomach tighten and she found it hard to breath. Lupin’s words sunk in like heavy particles of ice instantly stabbing her body and turning her skin cold. “What…why?” She said almost on the verge of tears.
“It’s too dangerous Arianna. I fooled myself into thinking things would be all right. I can’t risk your safety and it’s wrong. I’m your teacher Arianna nothing more.”
“But…but you said…you…I thought we could…you kissed me.” She stumbled across words.
“Yes I know I did and I’m sorry Arianna I really am. You see the only reason there seem to be an attraction towards each other is because we are both werewolves, it’s just a frenzy but it’ll pass.”
“But…I…”
“You don’t like me the way you think you do. This is all temporary I assure you. Now later today I will speak with Dumbledore and ask him to provide different arrangement for us. We can’t e together anymore during the full moon.”
“Is this because I bit you? Is that why you’re saying all of this? I’m sorry Professor I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to please….” She cried.
Lupin sighed deeply. All he wanted at this moment was to hold her in his arms and comfort her, he hated seeing her like this. “No that’s not it Arianna, I’ve said it countless times, you didn’t hurt me I promise.” He reassured her.
“Then why….I thought….I thought you like me too.”
I do. You have no idea. “I’m sorry I don’t. Like I said all we fell for each other is simply a common frenzy. The inner wolf in me calls for the inner wolf in you and vise and versa, nothing else. I like and care about you as any other student. Now if you please leave, I have things to do.” He abruptly stood up and left to his private quarters, leaving Arianna frozen to her spot.

Three days had passed since Arianna and Lupin spoke to each other. Again, he would not acknowledge her in class even when she raised her hand; Professor Lupin would call on someone else. Even in the meeting with Dumbledore he wouldn’t speak directly to her. Of course Dumbledore question Remus’ sudden change of mind for them to be separated for the full moons that was to come, but Remus would give his usual reasons. It wasn’t safe for the to be in the same room even with the wolf’s bane potion.
Those three days were absolutely agony for Arianna. Remus was the only person aside from her friends that made the events in her life tolerable. He was the only other person that actually made her smile, but now that was gone too. Nothing good lasts, she would remind herself. The Holidays was finally near and it was time for the students to go to Hogsmade.
“Are sure you won’t come?” Rose asked Arianna.
“I’m sure.” Arianna nodded.
“Come on Arianna you’re no fun.” Liam frowned.
“I can’t. I told you Dumbledore asked me to be here he said it was…”
“Too dangerous I know.” Liam made a sour face.
“We could always sneak you out.” Mikael said.
“Thanks, but perhaps next time.”
“You’ve never gave much regard for the rules.” Liam wined.
“I know. But I might start now you know….it’s our last year after all.” Arianna replied.
“Don’t tell me you’re scared are you?” Liam smirked.
Arianna gave him a pointed look and frowned. “I’m not scared.”
“Then come with us!” Liam protested.
“I’ve already been to Hogsmade Liam, honestly after six years of going it doesn’t hold excitement anymore.”
“You’re such a sour puss.” Liam complained. “Come one Rose. Forget about it she’s not coming.”
“I’ll bring you something from Honey Dukes.” Rose said as she walked away with Liam, leaving Mikael and Arianna behind.
“Are you sure you’re all right?” Mikael asked.
Arianna shook her head yes, averting eye contact with him. He gave her a pointed looked but didn’t say anything. The next few minutes were awkwardly silent. Arianna looked around the common room avoiding looking at Mikael’s eyes. He was about to leave when Arianna finally gained the courage to say something.
“Wait. I…I uh, I’m not returning to my parents.” She finally said.
Mikael nodded in approval. “Where you going after we graduate?” he asked.
“I don’t know yet.”
“You can always come with me you know.”
“Thanks.” She looked up at him. ‘I’ll keep that in mind.”
“Arianna…” Mikael sighed. “You can’t always do things by yourself.”
“I know. It’s just…it’s dangerous Mikael.”
“If you mean your parents…”
“No. No I don’t mean my parents, they've got nothing to do….If something was to happen to you I could never forgive myself Mikael.” Arianna took his hand in hers. “I can’t tell you anymore so please don’t ask. You’ll just have to trust me.” She said. Mikael was about to protest but one look into her pleading eyes told him not to.
“I trust you.” He whispered.
She smiled. “You better run off so you can catch up with them. You don’t want to miss the carriage to Hogsmade.”
“I could stay with you.” He offered.
“No it’s ok. I’m fine really.”
“You sure?” He asked and she nodded. “Ok. I’ll see you later then.”
All though things with her Professor were going terrible Arianna was glad to have her best friend back. At least all hope wasn’t lost. She took a seat in her bed gathering her books to do some more studying. This was the perfect time to clear her mind since everybody had left to Hogsmate. However, Arianna couldn’t focus on her school work. Her mind was racing. She starred out the window and watched the lively bunch of students leave for their trip along with Filch and Professor McGonagall. She frowned. Maybe I should have gone with them. She thought to herself. But it was too late the students were already gone.
Sighing out loud, Arianna pushed her books away and laid down. She might as well catch up on her sleep since she’s been lacking sleep this year more than usual anyway. She starred at the sky through the window next to her bed and felt her eyelids become heavy. Within minutes Arianna was fast asleep.
~//~
Arianna’s POV
I woke up to a high pitched scream echoing through the room. I quickly sat up startled and looked around. Nothing. I cautiously made my way down to the common room with wand at the ready. Again, nothing there was no one to be seen. Confused I made my way through the portrait that was already slightly ajar. I peeked through the portrait and saw no one. What the hell? Was I dreaming?
Only did I come to realized that the Fat Lady that guards our common room was gone. There was three big slashes that cut the painting no doubt made by a knife. Panic arouse within in me. Was he here? No. Norman wouldn’t be so careless and desperate. He would have found other ways to get to me, he always does. He wouldn’t leave any clues behind. But then who did this?
It was nearly four o’clock the students should be on their way back from Hogsmate by now. I quickly made my decision and began to descend the stair case to inform Dumbledore. Something caught my attention though, I saw a black shadow in the corner of my eye. I looked to my left and saw nothing. I shrugged and continued on my way to Dumbledore’s office. I stopped in front of the eagle passage only to realize I didn’t know this week’s password. Blast! Why does Dumbledore keep changing his passwords? It must be something with lemon still.
“Lemon drops.” I tried. Nothing. “Lemon squid.” Nothing. “Sherbet Lemon.” Still nothing. I was beginning to grow frustrated. Where was the other staff when you need them? Hell I could even use Filch right now. I frowned, knowing I wasn’t getting anywhere by standing here so I decided to head back, maybe I would find someone on my way back.
Frustrated I made my way back to the grand stair case. On my way up I saw something again, the same small black shadow from before. I saw it running around the corner this time so I began to follow it. I took my wand out again just to be safe. Sure enough I was right. Standing a few meters away from me was a black dog. I signed in relief.
“What are you doing here boy?” I asked the dog. “How did you get in?” I said making my way over to him. Great now I’m talking to dogs. I knelled down next to the black dog and let him sniff my hand, once I thought he was content enough that I was going to hurt him I scratched the back of his ears. He opened his mouth and let his tongue out, breathing excitedly. “Aren’t you a happy mutt.” I giggled. Upon saying this he frowned, looking at me seriously and closing his mouth. Funny, it’s almost like he understood me.
“I’m sorry you’re not a mutt.” I smiled and the dog wagged his tail at me nudging my hand with his wet nose. I pet him once more. “I wonder if you belong to anyone?” I asked out loud. This dog seemed different than other dogs it was like he genially understood everything I said, and when he looked at me it was almost like a person looking at me. I tilted my head to the left looking closely at the dog while still scratching the back of his ears. “You’re no ordinary dog are you?” I asked. He perked his ears up and looked at me intensively. Strange. Unless, unless he wasn't a dog….
I gasped coming to the realization that this dog before me was probably an animagus or…or he was like me a shapeshifter. Before I could commence my thought any further the dog took off like a bullet running the opposite direction and out of my view. I stood there frozen to my spot. What if…what if…no it couldn't be. You’re just probably thinking way too much into it Arianna it was just a wandering dog. But still, something in my gut was telling me otherwise. Ugh why am I so paranoid all the time?