Red Knights, White Knights

Never Looking Back

*Ryland*


I can't imagine living somewhere where it doesn't snow. It's like this cold, white stuff became apart of me since I was born. Yeah, I know it's corny sounding, but it's true. Everyone in the village gets sick of it, but I just can't make myself resist the urge to smile or stick my tongue out when the fresh morning blanket starts coming down. In my mind, snow is a beautiful, sort of bittersweet, wonder.

As I walk out into the square I pull my all red cloak around me and flick my hood up with a nod of my head. People around me do their best to avoid getting in my way and I can't help put smile at that. My Uncle was an old drunk, but every now and then he'd say something that would make you think.

"Give a peasant a crown for a day and the people will treat him like royalty,"

While his words of wisdom weren't the greatest, but it was something I carried with me all through my fifteen years on this earth. And there was no other moment in my life that fit those words more perfectly than now. I strode into the tavern and was quick to pull my hood down. When your grandmother thumps you enough times, some manners are branded into you.

"There he is. Yo, guys! Ry's here!" An identically cloaked figure shouts, giving my back a thump.

"Nice to see ya' too, Jace," I say, nudging him in the ribs playfully.

Jace and I have been best friends ever since we were seven and he stole some bread from Mrs. Browen. I took the rap for him and as a result, wasn't allowed supper. But that night he managed to sneak some berries into my room and we've been tight ever since.

"Alright, sit down the both of ya'. Winters coming and we only have a short time before the forest completely shuts us out," calls a loud, booming voice calls from a table surrounded by red.

Jace and I both shut up and take a seat trying to force our faces into a "serious" expression. The guy across from me just looks at us in a sort of disapproving way then turns attentive again.

"We lost some of our dawn patrol yesterday and there's no denying that it was a wolf attack,"

You could feel it in the air. The whole tavern went silent as the grave at the word 'wolf'. Wolves had been practically extinct in this area and they weren't remembered very fondly either. I remember the stories my Uncle would tell me about how they used to terrorize the whole town. Once, so badly that we offered up our own livestock to keep them at bay. Then, one night, the town gathered up a large party of hunters and ran the wolves out of their den. That was said to have been the best winter in the towns history.

"As a safety precaution we will double the size of the hunting parties today. No one wonder out alone, always take a partner with you, and don't hunt to far from the group. The first party will be Ryland, Zane, Link, Copper, Quence, Zandel, and Kalen. Leave as soon as able or you can leave now,"

I see half of my party already heading towards the door and I follow in turn. Praying that my first encounter with a wolf wouldn't be my last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is :) sorry it took so long, but I had a lot of school stuff. Like always, let me know what you think <3