Red Knights, White Knights

Why Me?

*Ryland*


Damn she must hate me. Sure seemed like it. When I close the door behind me, I lean up against the frame and rub my temples. This was insane. A random girl out in the middle of no where? There wasn't another town for miles from here. And that wound. Man, that would haunt me for at least a month! Surprised she was still breathing! I nearly hurled when I watched the medic wrap it. But that wasn't inflicted by some creature. To be honest it almost looked like she was burnt then stabbed...

"Who did she piss off?"

"Dude, talking to yourself isn't healthy,"

I look over and see Jace standing in the snow with that boyish smirk on his face. He walks right up to me and pokes me in the forehead.

"Neither is getting hung up on girls," He says it so smugly that I consider punching him in the face.

"I'm not hung up on girls. And since when do you say 'Dude'? You sound like an idiot," I brush past him and not a second later do I feel his hand clasp onto my shoulder.

"Ah come on man. You know I'm just kidding,"

"Yeah yeah, whatever," I say, brushing off his hand. "Look, I'm gonna head over to Mama Oaks' House. Tell my Grandma I'll be home late,"

"Whatever you say, man," Jace sees someone from our hunting group and runs on over to them, leaving me to walk in peace.

Mama Oaks' House is basically the public library. It's run by an old frail lady who's said to have kept every scrap of paper and every stitched together book that could pass for literature in this town. The kind of people that usually go there are the council and the occasional mother or child looking for a nursery rhyme. Long story short, not very many people read here.I walk through the door, setting off a little bell, and am quick to shut the door. Last time somebody didn't close the door fast enough, snow blew in on half the books and Mama Oaks nearly had a heart attack.

"Ryland Pierce? Is that you?"

"Yes Ma'am, just looking for a book," I pipe up.

"Take your time, I'm not in a rush to close," She says, poking her owl-like face around the corner of a bookshelf.

"Thank you,"

Mama Oaks' was a fairly big house. Bookshelves lining the walls and taking up the bulk of what space it had to offer. Some sections that are big enough have shelves stacked on top of each other and rolling ladders to help you reach. I kind of liked it really. The smell of books and the thought of all these stories surrounding me just sounds amazing.

I make my way to the medical books, not exactly sure what I was expecting to find there. It was mostly just poultice instructions and manuals telling you which herb could do what. Nothing entitled 'wounds 101' or 'strange slashes: their cause and cure'. I let out an exasperated sigh and close yet another herb manual. I just needed to walk away for a bit. Maybe then I could make some sense out of this. I walk up to a section in the house that looks virtually untouched. Only a second later do I find out why. Caked in dust was the carved label 'W section' above roughly every shelf, most I found to be about wolves. Of course, who wants to read about the things they fear the most?

I flip through the first book that catches my eye. It was entitled 'Wolf Legend', the author was scratched off the cover. Next to the scratches was a paw print with what looked like wolf eyes peeking through the center. I flip through a few pages, the majority of it was short story nursery rhymes about wolves. I stop when I see an illustrated picture of a body lying in the snow out in what looks like the middle of no where. Next to it was another short story entry, it was about villagers finding random people and sometimes dead bodies that hadn't belonged to the town. But the most chilling part about it was the end. In the end, the people never survive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys like it! <3