Edge of the Water

Chapter Twelve

Belle couldn't believe it. She had actually been called into a meeting with Joel Quenneville shortly after her last class of the day. He wanted a progress update on the hockey players, meanwhile, Belle just wanted some dinner and to seclude herself in her room. She needed time alone after dealing with being half naked for half the day and then dealing with Zoey teasing her about it the other half of the day. She was spending too much time with that girl and she needed a break.

“Hi, Joel!” She stood up from her chair behind her desk once he knocked on the open door. The older gentleman took a quick glance around the room and smiled at her.

“Hello, Belle. How are you?” he asked.

She knew it was just pleasantries and that he was there for business, however, she appreciated it anyways.

“I'm great, Joel.” She smiled at him. “How's the ship been treating you? Keeping you away from the boys and getting spa days?” she teased lightly.

“You guys have a really great face masseuse, actually,” he chuckled out.

“Darlene? I know. I had a headache once and I don't know what happened, but she has magic hands!” Belle insisted, finally sitting down once Joel found the chair on the other side of her desk. “So, Joel...what can I do for you today?” she asked.

“I know you've been running most of the classes with the boys and you oversee their meals. I just wanted to know how they were doing?” he questioned, clearly out of his comfort zone with both nutrition and yoga in the mix.

“Well,” Belle pulled a blinder from behind her desk, clearly labelled Chicago Blackhawks. “I have all of their meals here. Our chef, Karl, marks it down on the computer including calorie intake. I print off the sheet every night and change our workout accordingly, but I seriously think that you should also be having them in the gym on a regular basis. Most of them are working off their meals in yoga, but some aren't coming close and a few I've had to come in to make them room service foods. I'd be happy to set up individual workout plans for them, if you're interested?” she asked.

“Really? Are you qualified for that?” he asked her, leaning forward to peer at the binder she was looking at. She quickly flipped it over and transferred it to his hands so he could see all the markings she had put on it.

“Yes. I'm going into my final year of a physical education program based in nutrition. I not only teach yoga, but I'm qualified to be a personal trainer. Having said that, I'd much prefer just work out individual workout plans for them based on their eating habits and what I know about their flexibility and muscle mass from the last week. I have no intention of ensuring that they stick to the program or even being in the room with them while that happens,” she explained.

“Yes. That would be perfect. Can you have that done in a few days?” Joel asked. “We only have two weeks left on the ship and tomorrow we're porting for a day trip, right?” he asked.

“Yes. Tomorrow there's a day trip into town.” She nodded. “I can probably get that to you within a few days.”

“Great. Can I get a copy of this? It will be helpful to the boys to see where you think they need to improve. They seem to listen to you,” Joel pointed out.

“Only because they know that I have the ability to ensure their inability to walk the next day,” she grinned, standing up when Joel did.

“Thanks, Belle. You've got a good head on your shoulders. I see you going far.” He paused, as if he were about to say something else, but kept his mouth shut and held his hand out to her, smiling at the firm shake she gave back to him.

“I'll bring you a copy of this tomorrow morning,” Belle told him, holding up the binder in her hands and smiling at him.

“Great,” Joel said. “See you then.”

Belle was pleased that went by so fast. She could change into some shorts, maybe get some cardio in before heading to bed to pass out. But just as she was standing up, Taylor, the ship's manager stepped into her office.

“Hello, Belle,” he smiled at her.

“Hi, what's up?” she asked, turning to pick up her coffee mug that held the remnants of tea from that morning and clutch the Blackhawks binder to her chest.

“I think we need to have a chat,” he said, walking into the office and shutting the door behind him.

“Is something wrong?” Belle asked, her face transforming from a friendly smile to one of worry as she set her belongings back on the desk and sat down at her chair without waiting for Taylor to take a seat. Her heart was beating quickly and the worry in her stomach was making her feel sick. She wasn't sure she could deal with this. Whatever it was. She had things to do.

“Yes,” Taylor said. “You've been doing an amazing job on the ship. Getting your work done, doing more than what's asked of you. However, Zoey has not. She's currently singing in the Karaoke night for the guests. And Jeff's been telling me that she's breached this employee-guest boundary more than once. I've heard from other crew members that she's not always at your yoga sessions, even the one that you hold for the crew. I'm aware that she's your friend. And you are her reference; you highly recommended her. Is there something I'm missing here?” Taylor asked.

“Oh...” Belle looked around. “I don't know. I mean...Zoey's a really...she...” Belle choked on her words. Was he trying to fire Zoey?

“Listen,” she started again. “Zoey is actually amazing when she is around. She knows yoga like the back of her hand. She knows how to interact with the guests to make them comfortable. She knows how to show them how to do an insanely complicated yoga move in the simplest way. She has her strengths. And those are really large strengths. I honestly couldn't do all of what I am doing without her. She helps me relax. She's a really friendly girl and only being able to interact with the crew is something that's difficult for her, especially since she makes friends while she's teaching. I mean...when you're a boss, you play to your employee's strengths, right? So that's what I've always done. She needs a break sooner than I do, she's not as motivated, but when she's there? Gosh, she makes it a great class and I think that definitely deserves props. Even if she misses at least one class a day and drinks with the guests.”

Belle took a deep breath. That was a lot of explaining to do.

“I understand where you're coming from, Belle. She's your friend. You have an obligation to protect her. But I think you're doing too much work and she's doing too little. I'm thinking of hiring someone else to help you out for the rest of the summer.”

Belle's face suddenly became void of colour. She knew this was going somewhere. She had to stop it before it went too far.

“If you fire her, I'm leaving too.” It burst out before she had time to think about it. She almost slapped her hand over her mouth when she finally realized exactly what she had said, but she kept it shut and put a defiant look on her face.

“You're a valuable asset to this cruise line, Belle,” Taylor told her. “I can't afford to lose you. Not only are you a yoga instructor, but also a trained nutritionist.” He ran his hand over his face. “Talk to Zoey. Make her clean up her act, or I'm going to have to let her go.”

He stood abruptly, causing Belle to shoot out of her chair. “Yes! Yes, sir! Thank you so much. You have no idea...” she took a deep breath and smiled straight at him. “Thank you.”

Taylor's returning smile was more of a grim line. “Keep her in line, Belle. I'm serious.” And then he left the office. Belle almost fainted in relief. She just had to take her best friend away from Karaoke and maybe teach her the art of subtlety. After she photocopied the Blackhawks binder for Joel.

***

She wanted to work out. Get the idea of Zoey leaving the cruise out of her head. But first she had to get Zoey out of the forbidden part of the cruise. So, she put a summer dress over her regular workout clothing of tiny shorts and tiny sports bra, and went out into the unknown.

There were drinks being passed around, bad singing going on, but people seemed to be enjoying themselves. She spotted Jeff before she found Zoey and made a bee-line toward him.

“Belle!” he gasped in surprise as he filled a tray with shots for a group of unfortunate souls. Tomorrow would be a hangover cure breakfast for sure. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I'm here to see you,” she said with a sweet smile on her face.

Jeff's face softened as he smiled back at her. “Really? What for? I mean, you don't usually come to see me.”

“Yeah, I don't get it,” Belle continued, sweet smile on her face as she took a seductive step closer to him, placing her hand on his chest. “Why am I allowed here but Zoey isn't?” Her voice changed to menacing. “How come when I come out here, you don't tell a soul, but the moment Zoey steps out to increase the guest happiness, you tell the whole world? I mean, what is it with her Jeff?” Belle asked, taking steps closer to him, but instead of him leaning in, he was leaning away, taking cautionary steps away.

“Listen, Belle. It's not personal. You girls just have different intentions! That's all!” he insisted.

“Yeah? What did you just think my intentions were? To sleep with you? Well, Jeff. My intentions are solely focused on myself, just like Zoey's are. So next time you go blabbing to management that she's out with the guests, you better expect me to go blabbing to your girlfriend that you've been trying to get in my pants for the past month.” With that, she turned on her heel and stomped away, glaring across the bar, dance floor and stage for signs of Zoey.

She spotted her in the throngs of hockey players as they all chatted her up, Kaner's arm around her waist. She took a second to take a deep breath, and started purposefully towards them.

“Hello, boys!” She smiled sweetly at them. “Zoey.”

Zoey's smile faltered. “What are you doing here?”