Edge of the Water

Chapter Seventeen

The waves were rushing onto the sand, getting lower as the moon went higher up in the sky. The soft water was rushing over Zoey’s toes, with Patrick’s legs doing little to protect her from the push.

When the waves came in, the water would reach his knees, while it would only hit midway up her shin. She laughed every time it did, as she admired the way the moon bounced off his blonde hair.

Blush crept up to Zoey’s cheeks, as Patrick smiled down at her. Every second he stared at her, her face grew warmer and warmer. If he looked at her like that any longer, she was going to have to look away.

“I don’t wanna go back to the boat,” Zoey said, as her teeth tugged at her bottom lip.

Patrick gave her a half smile, more sad than happy. When they got back on the boat, they’d only see each other in class; Belle would make sure of that. She wasn’t going to let Zoey break the rules anymore and everyone knew it.

“We’ve still got an hour until the boat docks,” Patrick said, reaching for her hands. His fingers woven with hers, he pulled her a step closer to him, so she was that much deeper in the water. “Belle said she’d cover for you until then.”

Zoey nodded her head, as she remembered Belle’s words. She knew covering for just an hour was so far out of Belle’s comfort zone, so she’d have to thank her later. She owed Belle a lot.

“You know what I was just wondering?” Patrick asked, as his hands gripped more tightly around hers.

“What?”

“Do you think the staff would notice if you came back to the boat soaking wet?”

Zoey’s eyebrows furrowed, as his hands continued to grip hers tightly.

“Well, I guess they’d probably – “

Before Zoey could finish speaking, Patrick had dropped her hands and wrapped his arms around her waist. Hoisting her into the air, he threw her over his muscled shoulder, causing her to go into a laughing fit.

Her hands pounded against his back as she shouted. “Patrick, let me down!”

“Can’t do that, Zo,” he shouted, attempting to make his voice heard over the waves.

Stepping forward, he moved a few more feet into the water, until it hit just above his waist. He held Zoey high enough in the air that the water didn’t hit her, but she could see it.

“We’re going to drown, Patrick,” Zoey said, laughing as she spoke. “We’re going to drown and it’s all your fault.”

The waves were hitting Patrick’s body, but luckily for Zoey, he was strong enough to stay standing.

“Don’t worry,” he said, as his hands wrapped more tightly around her waist. “I promise I won’t let anything happen to you.”

With that, he brought her slowly down to the water, dipping her toes in before letting her slide down his body.

The second her toes hit the sand, he brought her towards him, using his muscles arms to keep her from falling back. Zoey’s clothes were soaking wet, and she was shivering from the cold, but it was worth it.

Pressing her head against his chest, Zoey laughed. “We’re going to get sucked out to sea.”

Patrick shook his head, as he chuckled. “We’re not.”

“It happens, y’ know? Belle told me.”

“Belle tells you a lot of things, Zo. Only about half of which you should believe.”

His hand moved to Zoey’s hair, as he pulled his fingers through the blonde strands. Even when it was stained with salt water from her swim that afternoon, it still felt so soft, and he wanted to hold onto it forever.

“She’s usually right,” Zoey said, her voice muffled by Patrick’s shirt.

“Like when she said her feelings for Tazer were strictly platonic?”

Zoey laughed. “Yes, like that.”

Even with Patrick’s warm body wrapped around her, Zoey was beginning to shiver from the chill of the water. Patrick gripped her more tightly, bringing her closer to him than she already was.

“We’ve got to get you warmed up,” Patrick said, his warm breath falling against her ear as she spoke.

She nodded her head, and he took it as his cue to bring her to the shore himself.

One hand wrapped around her waist, while the other went under the bend of her knee. He lifted her easily out of the water and she was amazed by how much colder the air was than the sea.

By the time the waves were feet behind them, Zoey was in a shaking fit. Her body tried its best to warm itself up, but the water filled clothes that clung to her body made it impossible.

“You’ve got a swimsuit on, yeah?” Patrick asked, as he set her on the ground. She nodded and he spoke again. “Take your clothes off. It’ll help.”

Zoey’s eyes tightened as her lips pursed. Rolling his eyes at her, he cocked his head to the side.

“Come on, Zo,” he said, with his eyebrows furrowed. “You’re not the first girl I’ll have seen in a bathing suit.”

Her teeth tugged at her lip, as she pondered the thought for a moment. Another chill ran over her body, sealing the deal.

With her eyes tightly shut, Zoey dropped her hands to the hem of her shirt, lifting it over her head in one quick motion. Her fingers then moved to the button of her shorts, causing them to drop to the ground.

When she opened her eyes, she expected to see Patrick looking over every inch of her body, but his blue eyes met with hers immediately.

“Is that better?”

Zoey shook her head. “A little, but not much.”

His teeth grazed over his lip, nibbling at it. His eyes grew soft as he looked down at her. “We’ll just have to go on the boat to get you warmed up.”

“But then I’ll have to go back to my room, and you’ll have to go back to yours.”

Half his face twisted in a smile, in his attempt to comfort her. “It’ll be alright. Belle will cuddle with you and I’ll see you in class in the morning.”

Zoey shook her head quickly. “It’s okay. I’m really not that cold.”

“Zo, you’re shaking.” Patrick laughed. “You’re that cold.”

“I’m not,” she said, tossing her hands on her hips. Her nose lifted in the air, as she shut her eyes to make her point.

“Fine,” Patrick said, taking a step closer to her. “But if you’re still shaking in a few minutes, we’re going back on board.”

She nodded her head, as his arms wrapped around her. His warm skin pressed against hers, warming her instantly. She was thankful that he was right there next to her because she knew as long as she had him to warm her up, she wouldn’t be shaking anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys, it's Katie! (:
I hope you all enjoyed Patrick and Zoey's adorableness as much as I did!