‹ Prequel: Bloodlusting

Bloody Vengeance

Dinner Time

Our eyes scanned the dark, looking for decent prey. I've only been a vampire for a little while, but I already know more or less what I like. I seem to have a strong taste for O Positive. It's the best. Well, at least it is to me. At first, I wasn't very happy with how we get our blood. It bothered me a little. Killing people just wasn't something I could ever fathom doing. But we do only drain the bad people, never the innocent, so I got used to it. I just had to keep telling myself that they were lowlifes, and deserved it. And once I tasted their blood, it wouldn't matter to me whether they were criminals or not, because the taste is so wonderful that I couldn't care where it was coming from.

Sometimes, if we didn't finish, we would bring the blood home and finish it off later in beautiful crystal glasses. Then we would snuggle up on the couch and watch movies like Dracula, or Interview with A Vampire. I know, its so predictable right? “See anything?” “Not yet. How about you?” When he didn't answer, I looked over at him. “Michael?” “Shh, I think I just found our dinner. Follow me.” He grabbed my hand, and led me down closer to the town. I could see what he was looking at. Two men, about the same age as Michael, were standing in front of a small bar. There was a woman with them, and one seemed to be yelling at her. Then the other lashed out and smacked her, right across her face.

“Are we going to do something about this?” I couldn't just sit here and watch that. “Oh we are. Don't worry, these guys are never going to hurt anyone ever again. Come on.” We got closer, then waited until they were in an alley. “Alright, lets go.” We walked up to them. They looked over at us. “Can we help you?” “Yeah, leave the lady alone.” The guy chuckled. “Or what? You gonna beat us up?” The two men laughed. “I mean it, leave her alone, or you'll regret it.” “Listen man, why don't you and your girl get outta here? We don't want no trouble.” “Sorry, can't do that.” They looked at each other. “Then we're gonna have a problem.”

They stepped towards him. One swung at him, but he swiftly dodged it. “Lacey, get the girl. Take her somewhere she'll be safe, then come back.” I nodded, and ran over to her. “Come with me.” I grabbed her wrist, and pulled her along with me. She seemed hesitant at first, but she followed me without a problem. “Do you live around here?” She nodded. “Where?” She told me her address, and I took her home, making sure she was safely inside before going back to Michael.

By the time I got back, he already had both men lying on the ground. “Are they dead?” “Yes. Didn't take much effort either.” “Aww, what a shame. I would've enjoyed watching them writhe and scream as we drained them.” He grinned at me, and shook his head. “What am I going to do with you?” I playfully smacked his arm. “Alright, lets drain them before they start to decay. It dilutes the flavor.”

That night, we did what we always do after a nice meal. We curled up on the couch under a blanket, and watched a movie. Tonight, it was Dracula. I love that movie, but tonight, I just couldn't focus on it. Instead, my mind was set on a way to get back at Riley. Half way through the movie, I looked up at Michael. “I know you don't like to talk about it, but what was the girls name, the one that you loved?” I couldn't help but feel a little curious, and even a little jealous. He sighed. “Emily. Her name was Emily. It was the eighteen hundreds, we met in England at a ball her parents threw in honor of her nineteenth birthday. She was beautiful, her skin pearly white, her hair ebony, and her eyes as blue as the sky. I fell in love with her instantly. But Riley was jealous, he liked her too, and he was determined to have her. He tried everything he could, but she still loved me, not him. He was so furious, he pledged that he would do anything in his power to make sure we were apart. In the end, he wound up killing her. It was the only thing he could do to keep us apart. I loved her so much.”

I instantly felt bad for asking. He really loved that girl, and I could see it hurt him to talk about her. “She sounds wonderful. Maybe you'll find someone just like her one day.” I knew he could tell I was upset. He pulled me closer, and pushed my hair from my eyes. “I already have.”