Sequel: When Two Become One

Breaking Away

Comic Relief

I looked up from my burnt marshmallow to see whose phone went off. I watched as Zacky took his cell out and when he looked down at it his face fell in a grim expression. I could tell that he wasn’t expecting whatever happened. He got up from his chair and walked off into the forest. We all were silent. The girls were confused as to what the problem was but I think the rest of us knew what the trouble was. My thoughts were confirmed when we heard him yelling at the person at the other end.

“Why Ashley? You have no reason to be anywhere near here…Bullshit you happened to be in the area. The cabin is in the middle of nowhere and you can only get to it by one road….Whatever…I know that no matter what I do you’re going to barge in here….Fine, but this will be the last time I’ll let this happen.” He yelled into the phone as he hung up.

Zacky stormed back to the group with hatred in his eyes.

“Ashley just happened to be near Big Bear and decided to stop to talk to me.” He said with sarcasm dripping off every word.

He went to grab another beer but found the cooler empty.

“I’m getting more shit. We’re obviously going to need it.” Zacky muttered void of emotion.

When the slam of the door was heard we knew that it was clear to talk. Kourt was the first to break the silence.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what the hell was that about?”

I looked at Matt to see that he was exchanging looks with Jimmy and Johnny. He sighed and rubbed his face, as if acting out a tired motion, before he continued.

“Ashley Calberg.” He stated.

Sierra seemed to jump at this name and she had a shocked look on her face.

“Yes Sierra,” Matt said, “the same Ashley who basically sucked onto you in junior high. Well, not long after you left she started to pester Jimmy, Brian, and me. She annoyed us to the point that Jimmy was close to actually hitting her, but then we realized that she could help the band. Her dad was rich and she offered to help pay for a portion of the band’s expenses. We let her dole out the bills while we tolerated her. Zacky jumped into the picture and she lusted after him like there was no tomorrow. Of course, Zacky and her just had to start dating and we never got rid of her. Through the years they stayed steady but it all ended a little before we left for Big Bear a couple weeks ago. He found her fucking one of the drivers of our tour bus. It didn’t make things better when the fact that they had secretly been having little meetings for the past year. Zacky dumped her ass and Ashley is trying to get back with him. I guess Zacky is using tonight as the last method of making her understand that it is over for good.”

About the time that Matt ended the story a shrill voice came from the cabin door. The hair on the back of me neck rose because I knew what was to come. There was still enough light outside that I could see her as she approached. Ashley was the typical California girl. With shoulder length blonde hair, blue eyes, and “surgically enhanced” body parts I never knew what Zacky saw in her. In her defense she did have her caring moments when she would nurse our hangovers, but those times were few and far between. She was wearing some excuse of a skirt and a green corset top that revealed her hip tattoo of Zacky’s name, which was spelled wrong.

Sierra must have noticed it as well, because I saw that her eyes were glued to her stomach while she bit her lip to stifle her laughter that could erupt any minute. She lost control slightly so she let out a small laugh, which made it sound like she was choking. Ashley looked over at the group to see whom the sound came from when her gaze landed on Sierra. Her face broke out in a smile and she let out a horrible shriek.

“Sierra Sanders! It’s, like, been forever since I’ve seen you. Why didn’t you get hold of me and tell me that you were back? We could have hung out.” She stated.

We watched Sierra to see how she would react to Ashley. She just shrugged and mumbled something about being very busy.

She turned back to Zacky who was stunned by the connection between Ashley and Sierra. He soon forgot about that when Ashley grabbed his hand trying to lead him back into the cabin. He pulled his hand away forcefully and sat back in his chair.

“I said I would let you talk, I never specified where though.” He said through gritted teeth. “I am perfectly fine talking here.”

Ashley looked around at all of us before she hesitantly, and awkwardly, took a spot on the ground.

She stared at Zacky before she said, “Zacky, babe, I miss you. Words cannot begin to express how sorry I am for doing what I did. These past few weeks have been hell for me and it’s made me see how life without you is really like. Please take me back? We need each other. It’s destiny”

He let out a short laugh. “Yeah, I bet it was destiny and fate that put that guys cock in you for a year.”

“Babe,” She pleaded, “I don’t know what came over me. I will never stop apologizing because I don’t deserve to ever cease.”

“I don’t think that I could ever look at you the same way again. You should be leaving now. I’ve said what I needed and so have you.”

She seemed to be concentrating very hard on her hands in her lap when she whispered; “Well then, will you at least walk me to my car?”

“Fine,” he sighed, “but only because I actually want to see you leave.

They both got up and walked back towards the cabin. The cracking and popping of the burning logs were the only noises made when they left.

“THANK GOD!” Jimmy hailed.

This little bit of comic relief lightened the mood. We decided to call it a night and packed everything before heading inside. Johnny was the first to walk into the living room and he suddenly froze in his tracks. The rest of us walked up behind Johnny only to see Zacky and Ashley making out on the couch.

Ashley quickly looked up at the crowd that was in the room and squealed, “He gave me a second chance!”