Paradise

No One Sees You Like I Do

Anastasia Hayes wandered around the wedding venue, the cool fall air tickling her bare legs and arms. The ceremony was over and cocktail hour was in full swing, but the twenty one year old girl didn't feel like getting completely wasted tonight. She just wanted to walk around the beautiful mansion grounds. Preferably alone.

As Anastasia continued to walk on the dirt paths, she smoothed the skirt of her dress down. It was her cousin Jenna's wedding, and thankfully the older woman didn't mind Anastasia's odd clothing choice: a sleeveless, A-line dress with a cat's face just above the waist and a white bow where the cat's neck should be, with black Converse.

Anastasia continued to walk, her feet taking her on a meandering path deeper and deeper into the grounds, until she came across a short, iron gate. Peeking around the hedge, Anastasia found what she considered paradise: a small fish pond surrounded by flowers and hedges with a bench by the side of the pond and a bird bath. Private and peaceful; Anastasia's kind of place.

Opening the gate quietly, Anastasia stepped into the garden, her Converse making no sound. As she walked into the garden, she noticed something she hadn't before: someone leaning against the olive tree on the same side of the hedge as the gate. It was a guy, probably around Anastasia's age with red hair covered with an even darker red beanie. He was also dressed nice, with a suit jacket slung over his shoulder, the guy was left in a white button down untucked from nice, black skinny jeans. Anastasia saw that he, too, was wearing Converse.

Just as she was about to back out of the garden quietly, unnoticed, the boy looked up, catching sight of Anastasia.

"Is that a cat on your dress?" he asked.

Anastasia felt her eyes widen, and she glanced up, her green eyes meeting his brown. "Y- Yes," she mumbled, looking away quickly.

A wide grin spread across his face. "I like it. I'm Alan, by the way. Cousin of the groom," he, Alan, said, still smiling at her.

Anastasia felt a small smile spread across her own lips. "Anastasia. Cousin of the bride."

"Why haven't we met before, Anastasia?"

Anastasia shrugged, opting not to answer and instead moved slowly over to the bench, sitting down slowly and looking into the pond, seeing the colorful koi fish darting around under the lily pads. A moment later, Anastasia felt the bench bow as Alan sat down beside her, his knee just barely touching hers. Alan shot Anastasia a small smile, which she returned.

Anastasia leaned back against the bench, making himself comfortable. "So, are you and Jen close?" he asked Anastasia, who shrugged slightly.

"We used to be."

"What happened?" Alan asked, and Anastasia heard him shift before feeling his jacket drape around her shoulders. Alan left his arm around Anastasia's shoulders, pulling her gently into his side. Anastasia turned her head, giving Alan a questioning glance. "I could feel how cold you were through my jeans," he commented, rubbing her arm lightly.

Anastasia leaned against Alan's side; he was right, she was freezing and had forgotten a jacket. He squeezed her shoulders gently, and Anastasia rested her head against his shoulder. "Carter happened. He said I was a bad influence on Jenna, and that she shouldn't spend so much time around me. What Carter doesn't know, however, is that Jenna was usually the one coming up with the bad ideas."

Alan shook his head in irritation. "It's because you have tattoos. He did the same thing to me when I got my first visible tattoos," replied Alan. He turned his head slightly, kissing the side of Anastasia's head. "Is it weird that I feel like I've known you forever?"

"Is it weird that I feel the same?" Anastasia questioned back, and Alan smiled, burying his face in her curled black hair.

Anastasia felt his smile against her hair. "No, it's not weird," Alan replied, his lips at her ear.

Turning her head slightly, Anastasia met his gaze, and Alan leaned forward slightly, until their lips were almost touching. "Anastasia-" he started, but another voice interrupted, even though it was distant.

"Alan!" It was Carter's voice. "Come on, man, we're doing speeches!"

Alan sighed loudly, turning away from Anastasia. "Coming!" he yelled back, before standing, pulling Anastasia to her feet also. She started to hand him back his jacket, but he shook his head. "No, hold on to it. You need it more than me right now, and it'll give me an excuse to find you later."

With that said, Alan pulled Anastasia into a tight hug, squeezing her waist and lifting her slightly off the ground when she wrapped her arms equally tight around his neck. Alan kissed Anastasia's forehead softly before letting go of her waist, gently setting her back onto her feet then lacing his fingers through hers and pulling Anastasia out of the garden.

As soon as the pair came into sight of Carter, Anastasia could see the disgust on his face, but he covered it quickly when he saw Alan's wide smile. Anastasia couldn't help the smile that spread across her own face as Alan pulled her down the hill towards Carter.

"Do you even have a speech written?" Carter asked when they reached him, and Alan just shrugged.

"Nope, I was just going to wing it."

"Of course you were."

Image


Anastasia was sitting alone at her table; the slow songs that the deejay was playing were not her style. All the people at her table were out slow dancing with their significant other, while Anastasia remained at the table, staring at the banquet hall's ornate ceiling.

She barely noticed when someone pulled out the chair beside her, figuring it was just someone taking a break from all the dancing. Anastasia hadn't moved from her chair all night.

"Anastasia," a now familiar voice murmured. Anastasia turned towards the voice, and met Alan's brown eyes. He smiled at her. "Do you want to dance with me?" Alan murmured, holding a hand out to Anastasia, who accepted it warily.

"Fair warning, I can't dance."

"Neither can I," Alan replied, pulling Anastasia gently into his arms once they made it to the edge of the dance floor. As he snaked his arms around Anastasia's waist, she wrapped her own around his neck. The height difference between the two was minimal, and Alan rested his forehead against Anastasia's, staring into her bright hazel eyes.

The pair swayed slowly to the music, and Alan lifted one hand from Anastasia's waist, brushing a strand of black hair out of her eyes, his fingertips lingering on her cheek. Anastasia smiled vaguely at him, and Alan pulled her closer, leaning down to whisper in her ear, "What would you do if I kissed you right now?"

Anastasia didn't move, staying still in Alan's warm embrace. "Probably kiss you back," she murmured in reply. The words had barely fallen from her lips when Alan kissed her softly.

His arms tightened around Anastasia's waist as she deepened the kiss, pushing her lips against his firmly. Alan moved the hand on her cheek to the back of her neck, pressing Anastasia against him. Alan could feel her fingers tangling into his hair.

Finally, they broke the kiss, and Alan leaned his forehead against Anastasia's again. "Anastasia!" a voice called, and the two moved apart quickly, Anastasia turning to face the person calling her. It was Jenna, her cousin and the bride.

"Hey, Jenna," said Anastasia with a smile. "You having fun?"

Jenna laughed. "Of course! I've barely seen you all night though! Remember when we used to always party? You loved to dance!" Jenna exclaimed, bumping Anastasia's shoulder with her own.

"I guess," Anastasia said with a chuckle. "You always made me dance."

Jenna shrugged, still smiling widely. "Maybe. Anyways, I see you've met Alan," said Jenna, waving the ginger over to them. "Looks like you two are getting pretty close," she added when she saw how close Anastasia and Alan were standing.

Anastasia turned her head slightly, meeting Alan's soft gaze. "I guess you could say that," she murmured, and Jenna smirked.

"Well, I'll leave you two alone," Jenna said, walking away from Anastasia and Alan.

Alan laced his fingers through Anastasia's, and pulled her out onto the balcony, and into the far corner where the people within the banquet hall couldn't see them. They both leaned against the stone railing surrounding the balcony, their arms brushing. "You know, I never believed in love at first sight, until I met you," Alan said, not looking at Anastasia but instead up at the stars. "But, something about you is different."

When Anastasia remained quiet, Alan finally turned to look at her. He'd basically just told this girl he loved her, and she was silent. "Anastasia?"

When she turned her face to look at him, Anastasia leaned towards Alan, kissing him gently. "You're special. There's something different from anyone I know. I feel like I've known you my entire life," she murmured, her lips still touching his.

As Anastasia spoke, Alan smiled against her lips, kissing her fiercely. "Anastasia-" Alan started to speak, but she interrupted him.

"You can call me Ana," she whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anastasia; Wedding
So, there's going to be five chapters. It was originally going to be a one-shot, but, that didn't work out. c:

Title Credit: Someone Like You, The Summer Set