The Challenge

Chapter 2.

I was lying in my bed, trying to fall asleep without luck. I was staring into the air, thinking about nothing and everything at the same time. I could hear Marilyn’s steady breaths from the bed in the other end of the room and knew he was long asleep. He was so unlike his wake self when he slept, so quiet and peaceful, so calm and maybe even a bit innocent. It was strange to witness a man usually so filled with anger and hate like this, but I really liked him this way. It was like a side of him that not many got to really know, which was sad because he could be so nice and lovable when he wanted to.
All these thoughts about Marilyn had really made me feel horribly lonely in my bed all by myself. It was too big for my taste; it was cold and uncomfortable without someone in here with me, especially without him. I suddenly missed him, even though he was in the same room as me. I wanted to be next to him, I wanted him to put his arms around me and tug me to sleep, and I wanted him to make me feel safe.
I fell asleep while thinking about how I wanted to be next to Marilyn instead of an empty space in my own bed, and I fell right into a web of nightmares and terrifying images of all the things I liked and loved twisted to the unrecognizable and scary. There was Marilyn and the rest of the band there, along with my family and some of my friends, but it was all like they were too big and I were very small and they were hunting me and trying to kill me.
I woke op while sobbing and sweating and I really didn’t want to go back to sleep. Maybe it was childish and a little embarrassing but I was terrified of that the nightmares would return and make me see all these things again. I heard Marilyn shifting in his bed and I though he just turned around or changed position, so I almost shrieked when I suddenly noticed him leaning over my bed, his long hair almost touching my face as he tried to focus on my eyes in the dark.
“I heard you panting, are you okay?” he asked with a concerned look and I bit my lower lip and turned my gaze away. I didn’t want to tell him about the nightmares because I was afraid he would think I was completely silly and stupid.
“Yeah, I’m fine” I said with a sight and he looked at me while cocking his eyebrow in disbelief.
“Are you sure?” he asked, and this time I shook my head. “Is it nightmares?” I nodded and he smiled at me. Not the mocking smile that I had been afraid he’d give me if he found out I sobbed in my sleep because of nightmares, but a warm and caring smile that only the sweet Marilyn I knew could manage.
He lay down next to me in the empty spot I’d wished he’d fill out all night, and he putted his arm around me and started stroking my hair behind my ear. I let my head rest against his shoulder and felt as safe as I could ever be. We fell back to sleep next to each other, and he dragged me with him into the peace and silence that he’d been in all night, where we could sleep safely without any nightmares.