Status: This is a story I am doing for NanoWrimo so it will be hopefully 50,000 words

Is this a Dream or Reality?

Chapter 1

“Come on baby. I promise you’ll like it.” There he was; tall, muscular, looking as much of a tool as ever. That smug look on his face and his hand caressing my arm gave me a slight chill. This guy was really starting to try my patience. Why I had decided to go out on the dates with him were beyond me. I am not the smartest when it came to choosing my men and things always end up with someone getting hurt.

I brushed his hand away, stepping back and almost spitting the words, “I already told you no. And I thought I told you I hate being called baby. I am not your baby.”

“Stop acting like a stick is shoved up your ass. Come on and give in. We’ve already been going out for two weeks. I don’t think I can wait any longer.” He stepped forward and reached out again, his eyes pleading.

I avoided his touch again, crossing my arms. “Two weeks is your limit? Uh-huh. You know you aren’t helping your case any, not that there was a case to begin with.”

“Shit girl. Why the hell do you think I have been going out with you?” Now he was angry. His posture changed from pleading to frustration. He was so easy to read.

“Well obviously for a different reason then I thought. Apparently, you are just another guy that wants a piece of my ass.” My body posture was matching his; frustration. These men make me frustrated but why, oh why, to I decide to date them?

“Fuck yeah. You got that right. And maybe even a little more.” He licked his lips. I could almost see the drool dripping off of his chin. Why did I attract guys like this? I already knew that things will always end up this way. “Besides, you owe me something for that piece of ice I bought for you. You know, that thing around your neck.” That’s right, I date them because I always get something good out of it, be it a release from my boredom or some pretty object like this necklace. The relationship will never last though as we both are in it for some impure reason.

“I’m leaving,” I say and turn to go but not before this dick-weed decides to try and stop me. He thinks that I am some weak little thing that he can snap and control. Boys really should learn that there is more to a girl then her appearance.

“If you don’t let go, I am going to break your arm. This is your warning.” He laughs. He laughs like they all laugh. What can I do with these slender arms of mine? When compared to their muscles, mine don’t seem like much of anything. I can’t really blame them I guess.

I narrow my eyes as a final warning and repeat, “Let go.”

“Sure baby. As soon as you spread them pretty legs of yours.” A creepy smile manipulated itself onto his face. Baby? Again, really? You know why a guy calls you things like this, calls you pet names? It’s because he either didn’t bother to learn your name or doesn’t want to call you by the name of another girl he is currently seeing. I snapped, or should I say his arm snapped. I had given him fair warning. The crack of his bone was obviously discomforting and a surprise. He was down on his knees the next second, whimpering in pain as he attempted to hold back the tears welling up in his eyes. He wasn’t laughing then.

I pushed him down onto his back with the heel of my shoe and removed the necklace he had given me, bent down and shoved the thing into his chest, leaving him with a kiss on his cheek. “It was fun,” I whisper into his ear. Then, I leave him lying there, writhing in agony, confused out of his puny mind. It left me with an undeserved self-satisfaction. If there was anything that I hated, it would be men like him who see nothing but women as a material object that they can bend and control at their will.

I would have returned home but I had allowed that sorry excuse of a man to drive me out to lunch so, now, without a vehicle, the walk home would be unbearably long. I decided that on the way home, I would take a slight detour through the park near my apartment. I find that that park in particular has a life about it, one that no other place I have been to possess’. It rejuvenates my energy which I am in much need for right now after the whole fiasco with that guy, you know the one I am talking about.
It took a little less than an hour of walking from the point of the restaurant to the front of the park. By the time that I had reached the park I was ready to sit down and just relax. I managed to find a wooden bench, worn by the many years of rain, wind, snow and all the other elements. The park is not quite nearly as beautiful as it had been a few weeks ago. The trees had lost most, if not all of their leaves and now they blow sadly across the grassy hills that make up the park. The trees just two weeks ago looked like they had been on fire with the orange, red, and yellow leaves that stood proudly in their branches. Now they stood there looking lack-luster and dying. The seasons were changing.
An icy wind sent a shiver down my back, shaking me from my pointless thoughts. The sound of a guitar so full of hope sounded in the distance but the culprit of the melody could not be seen as he was being crowded by a group of fan girls. I chuckled at this and turned back around. In the other direction there was a mystery man who seemed to be painting the large pond not too far off. He too had people surrounding him but more out of amazement then out of some strange fan girl need. They would pause and watch for some time and then move on. The man sitting there seemed to take no notice of them.
Another wind and another chill, this one more violent, forced me to stand and begin my walk home, leaving behind the beauty of the park. I would have to come back again tomorrow, this time bring a blanket and my schoolwork and see what I can get done out in the crisp air. I had the hope that it would help to keep my head clear and allow me to concentrate better than I do stuck in the confines of my apartment.
Within a few minutes I was home, climbing the stairs as quickly as I could, trying to warm up my body from the cold that was setting in outside as the sun began to quickly go down. After climbing three flights of stairs and walking a short distance down a hallway, I was before my worn door. The building was older and everything matched. I like it though as it is cozy and nicely worn in.
I entered my apartment and set my stuff down on the moderately sized dining table. I grabbed a glass and poured some apple juice for myself. As I drank the delicious nectar of the apple, I noticed a blinking red light on the somewhat ancient answering machine on the kitchen counter. I pressed the button to replay the messages.
Emilia! Where the hell have you been! You totally stood be up last night. How could you do that to your best friend? You know that you better have a damn good reason. Call me as soon as you get this. You hear me? I know you are going to forget if you don’t. You have a horrible habit of that.So yeah. Call me! The first message read.

The second message began immediately after. Oh yeah! That was Rosaline! Okay? Call!

The first message made me chuckle but the second message had me flat out laughing. Rosaline was a character. I had known her since grade school and we have been together ever since. Even now in college she is with me. Or it’s more like I am with her. I have no idea what I would do without her.

“Shoot!” I hissed as I realized I had totally forgotten about last night. I ran to the phone and called her back. After apologizing to her profusely for my stupidity and absence of a mind, I was forgiven after being reprimanded by her. Roz decided that because she can’t trust me to remember these things, she would come to pick me up tomorrow at around eight for a night on the town. Then I told her about the guy this afternoon whose name you don’t need to know because it’s not worth mentioning.

“What an ass!” Roz yelled into the phone.

“I know right?” I replied.

“Nonononono. I mean he is an Ass. With a capital A. What is with you and your choice of guy. You either get ass’ or freaks that are willing to make blood sacrifices to you.”

“Hey! That was a one time deal and the guy was foreign. I met him though friends...” I tried to excuse myself from that incident.

“Right,” Roz ‘agreed’.

“Like you are one to talk! Do you even want me to start talking about your past relationships?”

Nervous laughter erupted from the other end. “I don’t think that is necessary...”

“You sure? Because I have plenty to say.”

“Oh look at the time! It’s so late and I am so tired.” She faked a yawn into the phone but while she might not be tired, I was certainly feeling the wear of the day on me. Crazy people have that effect on me.

“Okay. Goodnight! See you tomorrow.”

“Wait. Em, I was just kid-” I hung up before she finished. A smile on my face.

I didn’t even bother to change into my pajamas. I just flopped down on the fluffy cloud-like bed and closed my eyes, ready for what would come tomorrow. Or so I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
This should be updated frequently as this is a story of mine for nanowrimo. The first four chapters are introducing the characters and then the fifth is when the story takes shape