Status: unknown

When We Were Lost

i'm still proud of you.

She dropped to her knees in front of his gravestone.

“I miss you so much.” she repeated, wiping tears away before more fell. “Georgie sends her love and Alex, well you know what he’s like. Like you, oblivious to everything unless he’s spoken to directly.” she laughed.

A young couple walked past her, nodding a greeting as they went.

“It’s really hard, not having you around.” she paused “worse than when Mom left us obviously, but Georgie makes it easier to cope, you know she became like a mom to me when you got married.”

Once she’d started to calm down she crossed her legs and sat playing with the grass “I’m sorry I haven’t been since I changed my name, I picked Aimy for you, I know you always liked it.”

She took a deep breath “I made some new friends and there’s a new girl working at the coffee shop, she’s lovely, you’d like her.”

After a while she stood up and brushed her loose grass from her jeans “I better go, I have a killer hangover and I could really use some sleep.” she chuckled “I’ll bring flowers next time, no offence Dad, but you’re kinda boring to look at.”

She ran a finger across the top of the head stone, “I won’t leave it so long next time.”

As she got back into the drivers seat she felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders, she glanced back in his direction and smiled before driving off.

She only got so far down the road before she noticed blue and red lights behind her. “you’re kidding me.” she sighed, pulling over.

The police officer tapped her window and she rolled it down “hello officer.”

“One of your tail light blew while I was driving, I thought it’d be best to let you know so you can fix it.”

“Thank you.”

He nodded “Unfortunately, due to new station polices, anyone under 25 we pull over has to do a few tests.”

She gulped “tests?”

“breathalysers, MOT, licence. Nothing to worry about.”

“I, ugh, ok.”

She handed him her licence and MOT papers, he checked them then said “ok, Miss Jaymes’ could you step out the car.”

She nodded.

“I’m just gonna ask you to put this in your mouth.” he gestured to the machine with a white pipe.

She placed her lips around the tube.

“and if you could blow on it til we hear a beep.”

She did as she was instructed, after a few seconds the machine beeped and the officers looked at the screen.

“When did you last have a drink, Miss Jaymes?” he said, still looking at the screen.

She gulped again “um, around 2am at a party.”

He nodded “the alcohol still in your system, I’m afraid I’m not allowed to let you back into your vehicle and I will have to take you down to the station.”

She sighed “can I get my bag, I’ll need to call my step mom.”

“Of course, if you want to lock it all up an take out any valuables too. It’ll be safe where it’s parked until you can get back to it.”

--------------------------------------------------------

“What were you thinking, Aimy?” Georgia sighed taking a seat next to Aimy at the station

“I guess I wasn’t, I just wanted to go to Dad.”

Georgia pulled Aimy into one of those awkward side hugs “I know. Don’t do it again, huh?”

The police officer came over to the seats “unfortunately, it’ll be three months before you can even consider doing it again, I’ve had to give you a suspension on your licence. At least you have time to get your tail light fixed.”

Aimy nodded taking her now useless licence from his hand “thanks.”

“C’mon, let’s get home.”

In the car Aimy remembered her car was stranded “Georgie, any chance you could pick up my car in a bit?”

“I wish I could, I have to get to work though.”

“Ok, I’ll see if Claire can.” she pulled out her phone and scrolled down to her friends name.

“What’s up Aims?”

“Hey, funny story, I’m not allowed to drive for a few months, any chance you could do me a favour and bring my car back home?”

“What did you do? I can, but I won‘t be able to until like 9pm.”

“It’s ok, I’ll see if Tim’s about. I still had alcohol in my system from last night.”

“Are you sure because I can definitely do it after 9. Not he smartest thing you’ve done, Aimy.”

“I know, shut up.” she chuckled “I see Tim in the street, I’ll see if he can then if not I’ll call you back?”

“sure, ok. I’ll probably see you later, right?”

“Yeah, as soon as I’ve sorted all this I’ll be there.”

They both hung up as Georgia pulled into the drive way “who’s Tim?”

“A new friend, he lives up the road.” she pointed to where Tim was stood by his mailbox

“The Kirch’s oldest kid?”

Aimy shrugged “I don’t know, I guess.”

“Yeah, he came to do the lawn a few times when your dad died.”

“he knows Dad’s dead?” she asked, almost choking on the words.

Georgia nodded “yeah, he’s a nice kid though, I approve that friendship.”

Aimy bit her lip climbing out the car “I’ll let you get to work. Thanks for fetching me.” she slammed the door and ran over to Tim.

“Aimy! What’s up, kid?”

She half smiled “I got pulled over earlier, I can’t drive could you do me a huge favour and get my car?”

“No problem.”

She pulled the keys from her bag and handed them to him.

“John’s inside so we can take the van and he can drive that back here while I’m in your car.”

“John?”

“Yeah.”

“Wow, ok. It’s ugh, by the cemetery.”

Tim’s smiled dropped “the cemetery, sure.”

“Thanks so much.” as she turned to walk back to her house she added “please don’t tell anyone about my Dad, or anything you know about my family. I just need a little time.”

He nodded “your secrets safe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure the title actually really fits but I love Take Me Dancing and it seemed relevant when Georgia was hugging her in the station.

I was too excited to not post, more subs and readers. I'm so grateful, thank you so much.