Avian Child

Chapter One

I wasn’t born like any other child. My mother’s pregnancy as hard on her. She always had to be careful how she moved, what she did. I swear I could hear her talking to me when I was still inside her belly. She was full of life, carefree, even though she was forced to be careful. I can faintly remember her always singing songs to me, about birds more than anything. Her voice was so lovely. Her hands were warm on her stomach, so warm I could feel the heat. I knew in my ever growing heart that she loved me. That she would care for me until the day she died and then from heaven she would love me until I died.

I said before that I wasn’t born like any other child, which is the truth. My mother had a longer pregnancy term than most women. She had to wait for me for almost ten months. I don’t think she minded all that much. She told me to take all the time I wanted. She told me to come when I was ready. I did. On the eve of the New Year, a leap year, I finally told her I was ready. It took no more than three hours for me to be born. My father, a man that I will never understand, forced her to wait on the last push. I could feel myself being squeezed, held back from the world I wished to greet. The pressure was great, my throat tightening to let out a loud scream. The pain blossomed, my spine cracking. And then, amidst this all, I felt myself die. I was caged inside my mother, my heart beat slowing. My throat ached with an unheard, unreleased cry.

When the silver ball dropped, the man on the TV and my father announced it was the New Year. I was to be born on this day. My mother pushed, but this time I did not aid her in my arrival. I was fading, memories that I could remember flowed swiftly behind my never opened eyes. My hearing started to go in and out, but I could hear the panic from my mother, the nurses. I think my father left, I did not hear him. Soon I could not hear a peep, the room was silent. In my own confusion, I opened my eyes. Before me was a pool of blue. How did I know it was blue? My mother told me. She said it was the most calming color she had ever seen. That it was peaceful and full of life. These blue pools held unshed water as they stared down at me. My heart beat, once, twice. The hum was strong, the thumping in my chest brought color back to my grey tinted skin. Flushed with a blossoming pink, my mouth opened and I screamed.