Status: Re-vamping this story! |Active|

Last Hope

The Survivors

It's strange; only a few years ago everything was peaceful and safe. Now we cower in fear, going about our own business as usual but with more caution. We live normal lives… well try to at least.

I'm a 17 year old girl who still goes to school even though the world was falling apart, simply because I wasn't afraid to go. Might as well finish my education; most of my friends thought the same way. Our school went from having 1500 students to just barely 200. New Zealand’s population drastically declined when an occult came over from America; they called themselves The Omega’s. An ironic name because they brought nothing but destruction and death to our laid-back society. Being kiwi’s though we don’t go down without a fight; which is why I take a baseball bat and an M24 SWS sniper rifle strapped to my back to school every day so that if anything does happen we can protect ourselves, my friends do the same.

I walk into school and go straight to a large classroom toward the back of the school making sure I don’t have any unwanted followers stalking me. When I know the coast is clear I knock twice on the steel enforced door and I can hear the bolt slide down and it creaks open and I hop inside to see guns pointing at me.

“Woah, calm down, I’m no Omega.” I state calmly.

“Just making sure.” One of my friends, Jess T grins.

She lowers her AK 47 and I roll my eyes.

Everyone goes back to their small groups and I spot my boyfriend of three years, Ryan sitting with his group of friends. I approach and he turns his head to face me, a smile on his scarred face. Three scars run from under his eye all the way down his chest.
I climb onto his lap and kiss his scarred cheek before kissing his lips. When I pull away I touch his scar, brushing it lightly with my fingertips. It was a habit I’d formed since he’d gotten the scars.

I had been running to meet the group and had just rounded a corner when an Omega with three metal claws as his weapon came out of nowhere and tried to kill me. Ryan had grabbed my jumper and yanked me backwards and the omega’s claws had clipped Ryan’s face, neck and upper torso before Ryan turned around and with a swipe of his sword had wiped clean the Omega’s head before collapsing from loss of blood. He was taken to the hospital and I had run off after having an emotional breakdown.

“You okay?” Ryan brings me out of my memories and I give him a tight smile.

“Yeah I’m fine, you?” I ask.

“I’m good; Jerome and I are planning to go down to the mall.” He states.

“Too loot right?” I question.

The mall is one of several places that has been abandoned due to the Omega’s, and the awesome thing is that everything is still as it was before the Omega’s arrived because the Omega’s are only interested in killing the ‘ungrateful’.

“Yeah basically.” Jerome answers.

“Sounds fun, why don’t we go for a field trip?” I suggest.

“Yeah!” Bayley, another one of my -sort of- friends yells.

“SHHHHHHHHHHH!!” Several others say glaring at him.

“Sure, why not? Okay let’s plan the field trip for tomorrow. We can get the right gear and meet early tomorrow. Let’s say nine o'clock sharp. Jerome and I are bringing our trucks; Logan can you bring your truck to transport everyone there?” Ryan asks with a business like tone.

I grin; excitement flashes in my eyes “We need to work on a plan.” I state.

Ryan looks over at Jerome and nods his head. “To have a group our size in the mall is dangerous; we’d attract too much attention so I’d suggest making smaller groups with leaders.” Jerome adds matter-of-factly.

“Okay so who’s making the groups then?” Jess T asks.

“Already done,” Ryan answers, unfolding a piece of paper, “Listen carefully. The group you’re put into is your group from here on out, no swapping, no complaining or else you won’t come along,” He glares at Bayley.

“Okay first group. Group One also known as Alpha, as followed, leader will be named first: Me, Jerome, Dana, Kyle, Logan, Cho and Meghan.”

I wait to hear my name but he continues and I keep my mouth shut.

“Next group, Group Two also known as Bravo. Jordy; babe you’re leader, Sophie, Josh, Baden, Caitlin, Jess T, Ivana.”

I look away from everyone. The groups so far are stupid and I don’t get why Ryan didn’t put me into his group and more importantly why am I a leader? I can barely look after myself. I bite on my tongue to stop myself from saying something stupid.

“Next group, Group Three also known as Charlie: Ravi; you’re leader Michael, Alex, Hannah, Hayley, JC, Maria.”

Ravi and Michael hi-five and Alex clutches tightly to Hannah looking relieved, ‘Good for you’ I think bitterly while Hannah and Hayley giggle excitedly.

“Last group, Group Four also known as Delta: Andrew; leader, Cameron, Bayley, Roydon, Megan, Jess B. That’s all the groups, so now let’s discuss what’s going to happen. We leave here to get well rested for tomorrow and to gather necessary equipment. We may be away for a few days… maybe longer. It will depend on the amount of Omegas swarming the area and such. Any questions?” Ryan asks getting no answer.

It takes all my power not to raise my hand and snap a snarky comment at him, tell him he’s stupid and doesn't know what he’s doing but I'm not going to start an argument with everyone watching. To be honest the only reason I'm so upset with the groups is because the thought of being in a dangerous situation without him nearby scares me.

“Well I guess that’s it then. See you all tomorrow at nine o'clock sharp, make sure you don’t pack heavy,” He finishes and goes off to talk to Andrew, leaving me with his friends. I don’t really talk to them much. We hang out in different circles and they're exclusive people.

“I wouldn’t be happy either, if they put my into a different group from Jerome.” Dana, Jerome’s girlfriend states, giving me a sympathetic look.

“Don’t get angry at Ryan. It was hard for him to put you into a separate group but he knows you’ll be a great leader and he trusts you to not let him down.” Jerome speaks up.

I nod my head in understanding. ‘But still…’ I think solemnly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying to update this series as much as possible, the chapters are quite big for me so it does take a while for me to do them though so bear with me.0

Feedback is most helpful.

Disclaimer: The characters in here are all friends of mine so I don't own them! I do own the plot and the main character (me) though and I have permission to write about them so don't stress.