Status: Summery may change in the near future...

Powerless

Prologue

The timing couldn’t get any worse.

Adrian stood, in shock as the rushing car wrapped around the pole, it snapping from the sixty miles per hour impact. Rain poured down onto his hair and clothes as Adrian dropped his umbrella. Already from where he was standing, he could see the two adults in the front seat. The man dead from the forceful impact of the pole and the woman, who was driving, was unconscious, quickly dying from the brain hemorrhage she’d receive from crushing her skull against the steering wheel. There were no airbags to cushion their blow.

Adrian clenched his jaw. This was his fault. He was so lost in his thoughts he didn’t even realize it when the car was coming, it swerving to miss him. He actually wished they’d just hit him. The blow wouldn’t kill him, but at least they would still be alive. He could have prevented this. Another heartfelt regret he would have to carry around with him for the rest of his long life.

He noticed the backseat then; glass was crushed in, as if someone’s head blew into it. It was small, as if a child was there. It wouldn’t be surprising to him. The couple in the front seat, both dead now, wasn’t quite old. Adrian couldn’t hold himself back now. If there was a child, it would be one life he could save. Save one life while taking another. It wasn’t his motto, but it fit the situation.

His body went on autopilot as he opened the back door. There was a little girl that was small for her age, who had long, dark, wavy hair that was damp with blood. He took her out of the car and laid her down on the sidewalk. Rain came down hard and Adrian took off his jacket and placed it over her body. He touched around, finding the cute. With a simple touch, he healed her. He stared at the girl’s small features: so small and beautiful and yet so fragile. She struck a place in his heart. She was so much like the girl he used to love…

He shook his head. This wasn’t the time to think about those things. The girl was unconscious, and she lost too much blood. She will surely die if he didn’t do something. He could save her from dying, but that would result in horrible punishment. He touched her cheek, releasing a small amount of his power. His fingertips glowed as he did so. He stared in shock yet again. He hasn’t seen this sensation in years.

“It can’t be…” he murmured.

She couldn’t be one of them. They were extinct. They’ve been gone for centuries. He clenched his jaw yet again; he had to make a decision now. He exhaled, knowing he would have to go through the pain of physical torture for a century.

He overlapped his hands on the girl’s chest, where her heart would be. He closed his eyes, feeling the power seeping from his body to her soul. This was going to save her life and if he was right, she would be the first person in centuries to be able to possess him. If she was, her life would be in danger as she grew, even in more danger if her soul was connected to his.

He didn’t care at that moment. All he knew that there was a little girl who would forever be in his heart, just like she was. This time he wouldn’t fail. He would protect her.

Adrian was sure as hell wasn’t going to let her die because of him.