Status: Summery may change in the near future...

Powerless

Un

Every night for the past ten years, Eliza couldn’t prevent the dream from coming. It was always the same. She would be walking down on a street, rain pouring and ricocheting off the umbrella she carried over her head. She couldn’t control her movement. She was powerless to stop what would come next. Everything would happen so fast she could never process what exactly happened, not until she woke up.

She would cross the street, mind empty and thoughtless, until she saw lights flashing and before she could see what was coming, a car swerved, driving over a ditch and smashing into a pole. When she was younger, this very moment would cause her to wake up screaming and her aunt would come in to calm her down. Now, she would continue to stand there, letting the umbrella fall from her hand and stare at the scene before her. She knew who was in the car without having to look. Two adults and a child. It was Eliza and her parents. They were dead.

She should have died too.

The moment her foot took a step toward the car, her eyes flew open and she sat up in her bed, cold beads of sweat falling from her face and breath coming in quick gasps. She pulled herself back to rest against the wall. She placed a hand against her chest, feeling the pressure of her racing heart. She hated that dream just as much as she hated the memory. She absolutely refused to see what was in that car. She knew what was in there and she didn’t want to see it.

It was daylight and Eliza’s alarm clock started to go off, indicating it was time to get her ass out of bed. She kicked her covers off and jumped to her feet, shutting off her alarm in the process. She walked over to her closet, stretching. She was to get ready for school. It didn’t take ten minutes to get ready and grabbed her tote bag and left her room. Even from upstairs, Eliza could smell the aroma of bacon and toast from downstairs. She groaned as she stepped into the kitchen, all thoughts of her dream gone, “Missy, why must you lure me in here?” she grabbed a piece of bacon as she said this.

Missy smiled at her niece. She dumped some bacon from the frying pan on a plate, her huge belly moving around as she did so. Missy was short and petite and her six month pregnant belly made her look even smaller. This would be her first child, but this was not her first time being pregnant. The first time she was pregnant was 10 years ago, she and her husband, Steve, have just gotten married and she was still in college. It wasn’t long after Missy heard the news of Eliza and her parents getting into the car accident, the shock and depression of the news caused her to have a miscarriage.

She didn’t give up though, she wanted a family and she took Eliza in to raise her as a child that her parents would be proud of. Though true, Eliza was going through a hard time the first five years of her parents’ death; which included flashbacks and nightmares that left her screaming and crying. It only added more stress and worry for Missy, and she did get pregnant again, but it barely lasted two months before her miscarriage.

Steve and Missy decided to wait. Eliza felt slightly guilty for causing them to hold back their start of a family, but now Eliza was 18, she could handle her own problems. Also, her guilt subsided when she saw Missy and Steve together and how excited and happy they were to have their first child. Even now, Steve came into the kitchen in his plaid pajamas with dark blonde, tangled hair that was spiked out everywhere from sleeping. He strolled to Missy, wrapping his arms around her from behind, kissing her cheek good morning.

Eliza watched as Missy gave him a lovely smile and brushed her short, brown hair away from her face. “Man, it’s a good thing I work out regularly, otherwise my stomach would bulge from all this food you cook,” Steve said as he grabbed for the coffee pot and ate a piece of bacon.
Missy laughed, “Eat up, otherwise you’ll be late for work.”

“Yes, baby momma,” Steve grinned, kissing his wife before leaving toward his room.

Eliza tapped her fingers on the counter as she grabbed for toast, “How’s the baby doing? Sorry I couldn’t make it to your ultrasound yesterday.”

Missy touched her shoulder, “Oh, sweetie, don’t worry about that. Steve was there. It was so exciting though! The doc said our baby is a boy for sure and he looks just like his father. I’m scared he won’t take after me.”

Eliza grabbed a piece of bacon and took a bite of it. She looked into Missy’s beautiful, pale blue eyes. Eliza was sure Steve fell in love with her on sight because of this feature, “I wouldn’t worry about that, he will definitely take after you.”

A honk was heard outside then and Missy smiled, “Looks like your ride is here.”

Eliza kissed her aunt’s cheek, grabbing another toast, “See ya!”

Eliza slammed the door and went to the brand new shiny red Mustang. Her blonde friend gave her a huge smile as Eliza threw her tote in the back seat and climbed in. “Did I ever say just how much of an awesome best friend you are?” Trish asked, grin still plastered on her face.

“What do you mean?” Eliza asked, buckling her seatbelt as Trish took off.

“Last night at exactly 9:03 PM, yours truly got a phone call from the one and only James Pattman,” Trish nodded, face mock-serious.

“What would a guy like him want with you?” Eliza asked.

Trish flipped her hair over her shoulder, “Think about it. You are dating one of the hottest guys in school, not to mention you’re not a bad looker yourself. You’re captain of the dancing team along with Tyler being the quarterback of the football team… not only that, but your best friend just happens to be the richest girl in school,” she cocked her head at Eliza, sticking her tongue out.

“You’re not necessarily answering my question,” Eliza stated, looking at her friend with a raised eye.

“What I’m trying to say is that I was going to get noticed sooner or later – and wah-la! I did! Now I officially got a boyfriend!”

“I thought football players weren’t your type,” Eliza stated. James Pattman was one of the runners for their school football team, not only that, but one of Tyler’s best friends too. Eliza smiled slightly, thinking of Tyler. The boy was a star player with nice looks, brains, and the perfect boyfriend anyone could want. He had already gotten his early acceptance letter for Stanford and a football scholarship that gave him a whole free ride for four years. Eliza loved having him as a boyfriend. Ever since he asked her to prom their sophomore year, choosing her over the captain of the cheerleading team, they’ve been together since.

The two girls pulled up into the school parking lot. Already they were receiving stares. “Looks like the news of Pattman’s new girlfriend got out,” Trish grinned as the two of them stepped out of the Mustang.

“Please, Trish, don’t get ahead of yourself,” Eliza said, grabbing her tote from the back.

They walked together to the school. They knew better than to be late for their first period history class with Mrs. Wilson – a woman known for giving a tardy student a ten page essay just because they weren’t in the classroom before the bell ringed. The girls took their seats. Trish leaned over, “Where’s your boy toy?”

Eliza looked up front, where Tyler’s assigned seat was, “I don’t know. Running late?”

Eliza felt her pocket vibrate. She reached in, wondering if it was Tyler texting.

You’re next.

The bell ringed, making her jump. She shoved her phone back into her pocket, not having time to see who sent the message. Class started and before she had the chance to look at the message again, it was already deleted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha :)