Born Under a Bad Sign

White Rabbit

When we returned to the apartment, Dean was asleep on the couch.
“Dean, wake up.” Sam shook him and he sat up straight immediately.
“What?”
“I’m telling her.”
“Sammy…” His tone became hostile. “are you sure you want her to have to live this life?”
“She doesn’t have to live it but we can’t just keep her in the dark.”
“Hey, I’m right here, just by the way.” I chimed in. The brothers scowled at me, but Sam’s dissipated into a worried look.
“Fine.” Dean threw his hands up into the air. “Let’s tell her.”
“Uh…” Sam looked at me and patted the coffee table. “Sit down.”
So I sat, facing them on the couch.
“We’re not mechanics.” Sam started out. “We’re hunters.”
I raised an eyebrow at him, pretending I didn’t know anything.
“Except instead of animals we hunt monsters.” Dean continued. “Vampires, Pagan Gods, demons, ghosts, shapeshifters, things like that.”
I nodded to show I was still listening.
“Bobby and Ellen aren’t our real parents. They’re hunters. Both of our parents were killed by a demon, and they’re very close family friends. And you probably met Jo, she’s also a hunter and Ellen’s daughter.
I knew she seemed off.
“And we’re here because we’re on a job. Originally there was only 1 demon we needed to waste but apparently there are more than we thought. “
“And let me guess,” I included myself into this conversation. “My friends are demons.” Like I didn’t already know that.
Dean and Sam nodded in unison, not even realizing that I had basically admitted to snooping through their belongings.
“And that’s why I needed to tell you. To keep you safe.” Sam rested his hand on my knee and I saw Dean roll his eyes out of the corner of mine. I placed my right hand lightly on his and interlaced our fingers.
“Well are you going to help us or not?” Dean asked me as he got up and went to the kitchen for a beer.
“Yeah, what do I need to do?”
Sam shook his head and looked at the ground. “You don’t have to do anything.”
“Sam, I want to help.”
“Lauren…” Sam shook his head. “if you want to help us with this then you’ll be hiding for the rest of your life. You will have demons on your ass nonstop until they finally get you. You can’t stop the life once you start, unless you go crazy or die first.”
“That’s fine. I’m willing to do that.”
“You’ll also have to leave your family.” Dean chimed in. “They won’t be safe with you chasing and killing monsters.”
My family? My parents who had given me everything growing up? Always there for me, let me go to this college? Putting myself in danger was one thing, but my parents? I couldn’t.
“As long as they’re safe…” I began to tear up. “Then I can leave them.”
“No one is making you do this, okay? We have enough people, with Bobby and Ellen and Jo to do this.”
Sam grasped both of my hands and closed his fingers around mine.
“I know.” I took in a huge breath and let it out slowly. “But think of all the people we can help.”
Sam smiled and brought my hands up to his lips before kissing the back of my hand.
“You’re so stupid.” He shook his head and faked a smile.
“I know.” I rested my forehead against his and brushed a piece of his hair behind his ear before Dean interrupted us.
“Then we need to teach you a few things.” He stretched into his lips into a half-smile and pulled a gun out of the back of his jeans.
Over the course of the next couple hours I learned everything you ever wanted to know about killing monsters and more. I learned how to handle and shoot a gun, I learned how to exercise a demon, and how to defend against one. I also learned that I was falling in love the way the sun sets in the evening. Beautifully and slowly, as it finally sinks into the comfort of night’s arms.