Born Under a Bad Sign

Calm Before The Storm

Eventually Bobby, Jo, and Ellen all congregated with the 3 of us in the apartment, and it was about 2:30 in the morning, but the crazy thing is, none of them seemed tired at all. I had drank about 3 pots of coffee by myself it seemed like.
“I’m sorry we had to lie to you.” Ellen hugged me once again. She was nice but damn, there was a thing called personal space. “It’s usually how we find out the truth, as crazy as it sounds.”
“Well I hear your whole life is crazy.” I smiled, and earned a laugh from everyone else in the room.
“You’ll know soon enough.” Bobby answered, pulling the brim of his hat lower on his head.
“And we usually don’t work together like this.” Dean nodded at the three groups of people here. “It’s usually Sammy and I, Ellen and Jo, and Bobby and we all travel our separate ways. We only come together when it’s something huge.”
I nodded, a slight frown on my face. Where was I going to fit in here? Would I even be traveling? Or would they just leave me here to communicate only by cell phone?
“Cool.” I muttered quite unenthusiastically.
“But we always help each other when we need it.” Ellen added, standing by her daughter.
“Alright,” I needed to change the subject. “What’s the game plan?” I was curious, as to this master plan they had in mind to kill all these demons.
Sam started, “Well, from what Dean and I have observed, there are about 7 demons all possessing a group of friends, who happened to befriend Lauren.”
I nodded, crossing my arms in front of me as everyone glanced at me before averting their attention back to Sam.
“So all we really have to do is get them in the same place and there’s about 1 for each of us, one of us might have to get 2, but easy enough.” He glanced at me. “Just make sure you keep the body in as good condition as possible.” He added that mainly for my benefit.
“You know,” Jo added, “I don’t think they became friends with Lauren just by random chance. I think they want her for something.”
“True,” Bobby added, “I mean with everything she could do for them, it seems like a high probability.”
“Wait, what?” I asked, I wanted to know what this master plan was.
“Well, Lauren, you see dead people.” Dean added, with a stupid grin on his face. “Sixth Sense, funny.” I rolled my eyes. “Well what do they want with me?”
“If one of them got to you, and possessed you? They could see angels, other demons, reapers, anything they can get their hands on to take out? They would use you for it.”
I nodded, taking it all in. I was part of this the whole time? “So, how are we going to do this?”
I listened to intently to the different blueprints of the plan, mostly staring at Sam. He caught me looking a few times, but instead of looking away, I smiled. He would shake his head and grin like he always did when he was mildly embarrassed. It was quite possibly the cutest thing I had ever seen. He was so intelligent, and methodical. He had a wide variety of knowledge on what seemed like an endless amount of topics. He was profound.
In all the plans I was the main centerpiece, the pig with the apple in its mouth, waiting patiently to become someone’s next meal.
“Well they do know that you two are here, Parker mentioned you before even I did. We can just invite them here…”
“No.” Bobby interrupted suddenly. “They’re going to know it’s a trap. If they know Sam and Dean are here then they’ll know we’re here.” He motioned to Jo and Ellen who were both sitting in chairs across from the four of us. I checked the time, it was already 5:30 in the morning, and the sun was starting to rise. Finally, at 6:00, a plan was finalized. We were executing it the next night. Dean wanted to go as soon as possible of course, and have the “element of surprise” on our side.
Naturally we all disagreed, we all needed sleep, especially me. I had gathered that hunters usually got an average of 10 hours of sleep per week, which was most likely going to be the greatest challenge for me.
“We don’t have much space but whoever wants to sleep in my bed they can. It’s a double.” I shrugged and looked at Jo and Ellen, who were happy to deny my request, but I insisted until I saw a relieved look on their face that they didn’t have to sleep on the floor in the living room. I lead the mother and daughter upstairs to my room, and changed the sheets before letting them in.
“Thanks so much.” Jo exclaimed happily. “And sorry about today, as you can see I had business to attend to. Had to fill everyone in.”
“Oh, it’s fine, really. Don’t worry about it.”
“I hope we can be friends.” She put a hand on my shoulder.
“Looks like we’ll have to be.” We both laughed and I showed the duo where everything was, and they could shower, etc, everything I learned from my mom’s lesson, How To Be A Hostess 101.
“And don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything, or you can just get it yourself.” I reminded them as I headed back downstairs. Only Sam was standing at the kitchen table.
“I gave Bobby my room, and of course Dean was excited because he got to keep his.”
“I see. Unfortunately I don’t have an extra mattress and the couch is leather. Trust me, not very comfortable.”
“Do you have anything? Even just a blanket?” Sam asked, curious. I had guess he’d slept in the Impala plenty of times and was used to being uncomfortable, but I didn’t want to make him sleep on the fucking ground.
“Of course.” I winked and went to the linen cupboard next to the washer and dryer combo, and pulled out a box for the queen sized air mattress and brought it back to the kitchen. “Ta-da!” I showed off the box like a model from The Price Is Right, earning a laugh from the beautiful man standing in front of me.
“Here?” He pointed to the area between the coffee table and the wall where the tv was mounted.
“Perfect.” As soon as the obnoxiously loud pump was done cyphening air into the mattress, it was 6:30. “Fuck.” I silently muttered to myself as I went to the linen closet and returned with sheets and a large blanket. Sam was sitting on the couch. When I walked into the room, he smiled softly.
“Wait, before I even do this you’re okay with sleeping on this thing with me, right?” I wanted to make sure we were on the same page.
“Yeah,” he nodded “of course.”
“Okay cool.” I made the bed quickly, my eyelids were dangerously close to sending a white flag to my brain. As soon as I was done, I collapsed into it and pulled the blanket up to my chin. Sam stood up from the couch, made sure the front door was locked, and turned off all the lights and closed the blinds before kicking off his shoes and taking off his plaid shirt, then crawled into bed with me. He laid on his side and opened his arm to me, and I used it as a pillow, his face was only a few inches away. He curled his free arm around my waist and pulled me closer so our bodies were pressed up against each other.
“Do you mind if I ask you a question?” I asked, circling my finger around on his chest.
“Go for it.” His sleepy voice was emerging.
“How exactly did you and Dean get into hunting?”
He sighed. “Whole story or abridged version?”
I yawned. “Whole story.”
“Alright, when I was a baby, my mom was killed by a demon in my nursery. After that, my dad became a hunter. To protect us, instead of leaving us alone back home, he brought us with on his trek to find the demon who killed her. So naturally he taught Dean everything he knew, and when I was old enough, Dean taught me. We were in hotels for days or weeks at a time, just the two of us.”
My eyes were no longer able to open. “I’m still listening.” I reassured him. “I’m just resting my eyes.” I could hear a smile spread across his face.
“So fast forward to when I turned 18. Dean was completely committed to fighting monsters with Dad the rest of his life, side by side, conquering the world. But I wanted to be normal, because my whole life I had been the freak who transferred to a school for a week then left. I went to college at Stanford for Pre-Law. Then I met Jessica. We dated for a few years, and during that time I hadn’t heard from Dean or Dad at all. Until one day Dean showed up at our house in California, saying that Dad was missing.” He started tracing patterns on my lower back lightly with his fingertips. “I told him no, I wasn’t into the family business anymore, and naturally of course, Dean got mad and left. I returned back to bed, only to find Jessica dying in the same way that demon killed my mother. So that’s when I called Dean and we’ve been on the road ever since trying to find that son of a bitch.”
“Well that is very interesting.” I remarked sleepily, “Thank you for sharing that story with me. And I’m sorry, About your parents and Jessica.”
He laughed quietly, and he rested his forehead against mine. My eyes were still unable to open. “It’s okay.” He whispered.
“No it’s not, but you’re doing the right thing by helping people along the way.”
“Yeah, believe it or not this was totally not the original plan.”
“What,” I finally opened my eyes. I was surprised, I didn’t think Sam could get any more gorgeous than he was a few minutes ago. “us sleeping together on an air mattress in the living room?”
“No, well yes, but involving you and meeting you. We were hoping to be done in a day and leave. Honestly we didn’t want to pay for a motel so we just acted like we were moving in.”
“That wouldn’t have been suspicious at all.” I replied sarcastically. “Perfectly normal.”
“But then we met you, and I...” His voice trailed off, and he paused. A smile slowly crept on his face. He took his hand away from my back and caressed my cheek, inching our lips closer together. My heartbeat was out of control and in that moment, I swore nothing on this Earth could stop my hands from shaking. He stopped, for a split second just before our lips touched for the first time. Then he guided me the rest of the way until our lips touched, just for a second. He pulled back to see my reaction, but with a swift tug on the collar of his shirt, his lips were back on mine. I could barely think as our breathing grew labored and he pulled back, only to run his tongue along the inside of this lower lip. I immediately kissed him, open mouth and all, clutching onto his shirt. He seemed to enjoy it, because he slowly pushed me on my back, his body between my legs. He kissed me again, and I curled my arms around his broad shoulders, burying my fingers in his thick brown hair. This could very well be my last night on Earth as Lauren, the human, and I wouldn’t have asked for anything else than this.