Status: finished.

Shut Up & Take My Hand

I am anything you want me to be

Misery is the product of distance, and boy have I been miserable. My best friend, or as he likes to call himself, my "main squeeze" has been touring for the last couple of months. I was expecting him home any day now, it's the day before thanksgiving.

"Abbie, wake up." I snapped my head up. I was daydreaming on the job again. The small coffee shop I work at was empty, and closing in an hour. I looked over at my co-worker Cassandra, and smiled weakly. “Thinking about your boyfriend again, Abs?” I rolled my eyes at her immaturity.

“He isn’t my boyfriend, Cass, he’s my best friend.” I looked at my nails, they needed to be cleaned and repainted. My constant worrying over Alex and the guys had brought my bad habit of chipping my nails back.

“If you’re not fucking that fine boy, I will.” I laughed and shook my head. “I swear to every god there is, I will get up on that lovely piece of man. He is a babe.” I laughed again and got off the stool I was seated on, behind the counter. I walked past her and into the break room, I was going to check my phone. I didn’t know when their set began and ended, so I was blindly waiting for a text. I sighed and placed my Blackberry back in my bag and walked back out. Cass was still ranting about Alex, she’d met him once at a work party at her house.

I wouldn’t call it a party party, it was a small barbecue with like 5 people there. I have very few co-workers, just Cass, my married managers Ellie and Greg. And two fifteen year olds who only work half time, they were twins, a boy and a girl- Felicia and Freddie.

The doorbell rang out and I rushed past Cass and out of the back kitchen. I walked up to the counter and put on my best smile. “Hello, welcome to Ellie’s Place. Can I get you something?”

“Hey, sorry for coming in so late but my girlfriend and I just got in town. Can I get a small coffee and a- um" he looked down at his hand, where something was scribbled. "A small green tea?” I smiled at his courteousness and nodded. I spun around, my apron waving, and began to make the coffee. While that was working, I made the tea.

“That’ll be seven fifty.” I recited after entering the order into the cash register. He handed me eight dollars and I gave him his drinks and change. “Have a good evening!” I called out.

“Thanks,” He responded as he walked out the door and back to his girlfriend.

“Abs, your phones going off.” Cass yelled to me, causing me to run to the back room and breathlessly answer my phone.

“Lex?” A woman laughed and told me no. “Sorry Mrs. Gaskarth, I was hoping for your son.”

“Yes, I’m awaiting a call too.” She chuckled. She no longer held a strong accent but if you paid attention she did say some words differently than I would, like aluminum and privacy. “I was wondering if you would assist me tomorrow for Thanksgiving,” I smiled softly. My mother had died last year, after my father was traveling the world. They each had pneumonia, getting it from dancing in the rain, my father pulled through but unfortunetly my mother did not. At least she died because of romance. “Abigail?” I laughed.

“Sorry, zoned out again. I’m picking up on Alex’s bad habits.” His mother laughed at my small joke and I smiled at the thought of Alex. “Yes, I would love to help tomorrow. When do you want me there?”

I spent a half hour discussing tomorrow with Alex’s mother and after saying goodbye to her, I saw that my shift was up. I then I got my things together to leave. “Cass, I’m out of here. You’re closing, cutie.” She groaned from the kitchen. “Hey!” I exclaimed when I saw her with some frosting. “No.” I shook my head and finger at her. She pouted and I rolled my eyes. “Goodbye fatty,” She slapped my arm and then hugged me. I said goodbye again and headed out the back door.

I ended up falling asleep on the couch watching The Avengers, and I woke up the next morning around nine thirty with seven missed called. “Jesus, Alex.” I mumbled sitting up and calling him back.

“Hello!?” He exclaimed happily. His voice instantly woke me up and made me grin. “Abbie, I’m on my way home!” I cheered and laughed, which caused him to chuckle.

“I’m going to your mommies tonight,” He groaned. “I’ll stay away from the photo album, promise. I don’t need to see teensy tiny Alex.”

“Hey! He’s not teensy, don’t offend my appendages.” I laughed and covered my mouth. I held the phone between my face and shoulder as I got frozen waffles out of the freezer. “Are you eating waffles without me? Come on, Abbie! That's torture!” I laughed and put them in the toaster.

“Snooze you lose,” I mumbled carelessly and Alex huffed. “Wow, ugh, I miss you.” I could almost hear his smile on the other side.

“I miss you too, buttercup. We’ll be seeing each other again soon,” Alex encouraged and I sighed and nodded. “When I get home, we can eat a shitfuck load of turkey at my moms and then have a christmas movie night, just you and me.” I smiled at the thought. “We can prop pillows on your couch and sleep on the floor.” I laughed softly. I heard Jack yell whipped and I starting laughing harder and Jack joined it. “Fuck off buddy, I’m trying to make Ab’s feel better.”

“Abbie!” Jack yelled and took the phone from Alex. “Gail! I’ve missed you perfect little face and your brownies.” I laughed and rolled my eyes. “I saved a pick just for you, like always!”

“Awesome! I can’t wait to add it to my collection. Hey, can you have Matt get me into your show tomorrow for free?” I asked, remembering that I was low on cash. Jack replied and then gave the phone back to Alex.

“When’re you going to my moms?” I hummed and tried to remember.

“Around noon. What time is it now, have any idea?” I pulled my waffles out and put syrup on them before sitting at my two person table and eating them with one hand. I had a fork in that hand, of course.

“It’s almost eleven now,” he said absentmindedly. “Sorry, I had to go find a clock.” I laughed and shrugged, even though I knew he couldn’t see me. “I’m in New York now,” I almost snorted.

“How long have you guys been on the road, that’s like a seven hour drive.” Alex hummed softly.

“We left after meet and greets, so from eleven to now, and we stopped like twenty times because Jack’s a child and has a tiny bladder. And he drinks when he’s bored. Did I mention how small his attention span is? He get’s bored easy.”

I laughed and bit my bottom lip. Oh how I’d missed these boys. “No need to be so bitter.” I taunted playfully. “Okie doke, gayscarf, I gotta get in the shower.” He whined childishly. “I love you Lex, see you tonight.” I smiled as he mumbled an ‘I love you too’ and then I hung up.

All I could think about in the shower was memories. Memories of the adventures we’d have, the guys’ first show, how excited they were when they got signed. All of that.

I had only twenty minutes to get to the Gaskarth residence and I had just gotten out of the shower. I groaned and quickly put on my previously picked out dress. It was a cream, floral top with a more brown layering down bottom. I slipped on cream-brown flats. I quickly did my makeup, not putting on very much. Finally, I sprayed perfume and slipped on the bracelet Alex’s mom bought me for graduation.

I practically ran out of the house, almost leaving my phone and keys in the process. I sped to the Gaskarth home and hurried inside once I'd finally gotten there. “Abigail!” Alex’s father exclaimed happily. I grinned and walked out of the foyer, and over to Peter in his recliner. I smiled and leaned down to hug him. “How have you been Abigail? It’s been a couple months.” I shrugged.

“Can’t complain, I’m missing your kid quite a lot thought. I’m gonna go crazy with worry,” Peter chuckled and pointed to Isobel, Alex’s mother.

“That woman will feel your pain.” I laughed and shook my head at him. I went to the kitchen to greet Isobel.

“Abbie, how are you sweetheart?” I smiled and shrugged, I went in for the natural hug and she instinctively hugged me back. “You have any idea when the mongrels will be arriving?” I laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, an hour ago they were in New York so..” I trailed off and smiled. “What can I do?”

“Can I trust you with the peeler?” I laughed and nodded. She handed it to me and gave me my instructions.

The food preparation was filled with small talk, then some of Alex’s relatives started pouring in. His cousins began to help Isobel and I while his second cousins ran all over the house. The men were with Peter in the living room, presumably watching football.

“Guess who’s home!” My head popped up and I almost dropped a potato.

Alex’s back. Let’s get the party started.
♠ ♠ ♠
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO
Alex Gaskarth story, who's excited? ME
okay, I hope you like this
it's a new idea and it's fresh in my mind and I'm stoked to write it d:
please comment, it means the world to me c:
xoxo
tiffiny