Status: Co-write. Up and Running.

I Know You Well but This Ain't a Game

One

The open space was swarming with people. The sun was rising up in the sky and everyone was getting antsy.

“Nervous?” Beau asked Lights as they walked hand in hand toward the opening.

“Yeah kinda,” the girl nodded and brushed her dark hair out of her face.

“Me too.” he replied and tightened his grip on her hand.

“But let’s think realistically,” She stopped him mid-walk. Turning to face him, she looked him in his blue eyes. “There are over a hundred names in that fish bowl. There is no way your or my name will be picked.” she needed to tell her that. Truth be told she was terrified. There was always that one percent chance clown lady will pick out her name.

Lights never liked Effie Trinket. She always had an urge to punch her in the face. There was something about her that the girl didn’t like. Every year at the Reaping, Lights stood among the crowd like everyone else wishing these “games” never happened and hoping her name wasn’t pulled.

Beau nodded. He wasn’t too sure. He had a weird feeling in his gut. He didn’t want to loose Lights. She was the only person in his life that remained. If he lost her, well, he would loose him self.

As the couple entered the clearing, they were separated. Lights joined the females on the left as Beau went to stand with the other men on the right. Everyone’s attention was focused on the woman in pink, standing before them behind a podium.

Beau’s eyes wandered through the crowd until they landed on Lights. her gaze caught his and he smiled meekly before looking back at the stage.

“Welcome, welcome! The time has come to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing the District in the annual HungerGames!” Effie Trinket’s voice rang out.

Beau watched Lights wince. He knew how much she disliked the woman. She hadn’t done anything wrong to Lights or her family. The girl couldn’t stand her for a strange reason. Beau chuckled to himself.

“And now we shall pick our tributes. As always, Ladies first,”

Lights was so nervous. She picked at the hangnail on her thumb. She always did that whenever things got tense. He eyes followed the “pink woman’s” hand, as she mixed up the folded pieces of paper in the large bowl.

“Please, not me. Please not me.” the girl silently prayed.

“And our first tribute is...” Effie read off the paper. “Valerie Poxleitner!”

Lights froze. She didn’t know what to do. She looked towards Beau. Panic filled her eyes.

“Valerie dear, Where are you?” Effie’s voice was calling her.

The girl stepped out of the crowd and walked to the stage. Climbing the stairs she thought of her family back home.

“Splendid. You look lovely.” Pink lady took her by the shoulder and led her to the center of the stage. Lights had to restrain herself from shrugging her off.

“And now for the gentlemen...”

Beau closed his eyes. At this point he didn’t know what to think. Did he want to be picked to be with Lights? Did he want to go home? His mind was racing.

“Our second tribute is... Beau Bokan!”
He couldn’t believe his ears. His name was called. He stepped out and made his way to the platform. He looked at Lights. He had so many mixed feelings.

Effie took his arm and pulled him to where Lights was standing.

“Shake hands,” she instructed. They did as they were told.

“Happy Hunger Games. And may the odds be forever in your favour!” she seemed excited, unlike the two tributes that stood beside her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lights&Beau